What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
moonbeam

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:53 pm

I've already posted this in a different thread but it was so awesome watching my crabs hunt last night! Not a single crab ran when I approached the tank (so rare!). I guess they were all concentrated on the hunt! I didn't see anyone catch a isopod but I did see the gooey remains of one after they had eaten it! So excited to give the crabs something they can actively hunt! They seem very happy with the new additions to the tank ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

StarWarsHermitCrab

Post by StarWarsHermitCrab » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:25 pm

I've got 4 isopods now. :banana:

Isopods are so hard to find.
“Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try"-Yoda

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:57 pm

I think I'm about ready to add mine too, wish me luck. though it may be a couple o' days before I do
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:34 pm

I found a huge amount of isopods today while doing yard work. I need to get a setup going for them to let them breed, but with my luck by the time I do that I won't be able to find any. :roll:
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:08 pm

megmaholm wrote:I found a huge amount of isopods today while doing yard work. I need to get a setup going for them to let them breed, but with my luck by the time I do that I won't be able to find any. :roll:
Nah, you'll do fine. they don't really tend to move to a different hiding place unless you remove their rock / log from it's spot
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

StarWarsHermitCrab

Post by StarWarsHermitCrab » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:47 am

There is mold in my isopods container.
Is that bad?
“Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try"-Yoda

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:00 pm

yes, I had a ton of mold in mine and removed it immediately, but even so tons of them died. I would get rid of it asap!

NeatHedgehog

Post by NeatHedgehog » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:09 pm

I obviously need another tall lava rock. A small, but apparently self-assured and already settled fellow, has decided the top of the tallest rock is his. One of the others sat up there, and he decided he wouldn't stand for it. He walked up, gently kicked him a couple times with one leg, then stuck his big claw under the rim of the shell and FLING! chucked the interloper off.

The flingee returned to a slightly lower spot on the rock and they seemed to agree to that deal until "sundown" when they got down to walk around.

(I haven't gotten to naming any of them yet, since I've had them a bit less than two weeks and not yet sure on genders)

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:47 pm

Holy cow :o

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:07 pm

NeatHedgehog wrote:I obviously need another tall lava rock. A small, but apparently self-assured and already settled fellow, has decided the top of the tallest rock is his. One of the others sat up there, and he decided he wouldn't stand for it. He walked up, gently kicked him a couple times with one leg, then stuck his big claw under the rim of the shell and FLING! chucked the interloper off.

The flingee returned to a slightly lower spot on the rock and they seemed to agree to that deal until "sundown" when they got down to walk around.

(I haven't gotten to naming any of them yet, since I've had them a bit less than two weeks and not yet sure on genders)
It's a hoot when they get all territorial over a "special" spot. In my old tank, Felix "owned" the top of the mopani branch and the others learned not to try to climb all the way up when Felix was perched there; however, since the relo to the 29g, Felix has relinquished his claim to the mopani, preferring even higher spots on the fish net. Silly guys :lol: !
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:20 pm

In my 40 gallon, there's a special spot on the mopani that all the crabs want. At least once a day there will be a crab snuggled on it, then another will come over and start climbing on the first crab. Inevitably, there is a lot of chirping before everyone gets settled back down. One of them, Phteven, is my fussy little diva - I joke that he chirps if someone touches him, gets near him, or just looks at him. :lol:

NeatHedgehog

Post by NeatHedgehog » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:39 am

Interesting. This guy has decided to occupy the middle hole of the rock along with another crab. For the last few days they have both stayed in this spot together. They get down to eat, drink, and be merry every now and then, but return here during the day. The larger (larger-shelled, anyway) of the two frequently stands up at the front, facing outward, or halfway on top of the other. Here he is, returning from a trip... to somewhere... I don't know where he went, he is stealthy.

klowns

Post by klowns » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:25 am

caught special ed (who is missing a few legs and is all mangled on the left) and then OG Straw, with his super modified shell just hanging out in the 2nd level EE pit with hides and cuttlebone.

Reppin' AZ!

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:45 pm

Well I've discovered a new way of reminding my crabs how spoiled they are (my gma jokes that if I ever die my crabs will mourn bc no one will take care of them like I do lol). My pools, food dishes and fogger all needed some deep cleaning. I took everything out, cleaned it and left it to air dry for a few hours. I ended up having a migraine that night and couldn't stand up so of course I felt horrible knowing they were being neglected. And then I woke up the next morning to an all out attack on my sinuses and was in bed for two days. I felt like the worst crab mom ever :( buuuut when I put everything back together I spoiled them with lots of treats and sat by the tank waiting. Never have I seen so many crabs in the feeding dishes at once. It was like they were having a party and didn't mind if I tagged along! I'm so glad all is well in the crabitat. I've learned my lesson. Never again will I do a deep clean during pollen season.

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:07 pm

moonbeam wrote:Well I've discovered a new way of reminding my crabs how spoiled they are (my gma jokes that if I ever die my crabs will mourn bc no one will take care of them like I do lol). My pools, food dishes and fogger all needed some deep cleaning. I took everything out, cleaned it and left it to air dry for a few hours. I ended up having a migraine that night and couldn't stand up so of course I felt horrible knowing they were being neglected. And then I woke up the next morning to an all out attack on my sinuses and was in bed for two days. I felt like the worst crab mom ever :( buuuut when I put everything back together I spoiled them with lots of treats and sat by the tank waiting. Never have I seen so many crabs in the feeding dishes at once. It was like they were having a party and didn't mind if I tagged along! I'm so glad all is well in the crabitat. I've learned my lesson. Never again will I do a deep clean during pollen season.

Aww, you're not terrible for 'neglecting' them for a couple days! We've all been there. I hope you're feeling better now. :)