What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
moonbeam

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by moonbeam » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:12 pm

megmaholm wrote:
Aww, you're not terrible for 'neglecting' them for a couple days! We've all been there. I hope you're feeling better now. :)
Thanks meg! Feeling much better and the crabs are back to being their spoiled selves Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:41 pm

Lol i caught one of my crabs trying to walk down a cocohut while eating it at the same time. He fell on his back.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:13 pm

I walked by the tank a little bit ago only to hear 3 thuds from all over. Apparently I surprised them. Lol! I wish I could have gotten it on video. I looked in and see 3 crabs running for their lives. Lol
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:33 am

It's a Friday night so they are having a poop eating party, of course. ImageImage

NeatHedgehog

Post by NeatHedgehog » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:16 am

Well, everyone is currently hanging around the lava rock crags in their temporary tank. They seem pretty satisfied, all things considered. The biggest of the group already took a stroll around the top rim of the tank.

As much as I hated to move them after only maybe a month, the Zoo Med HygroTherm in the 30g went completely off it's rocker and dumped nearly two gallons of water into the tank overnight. I had a slight issue with a couple millimeters of water before, but this turned the entire substrate into soup. Fortunately everyone already enjoyed spending daylight hours in the tall lava rock, so no one was hurt.

So that controller is pretty much going in the junk bin and I'm not moving them again until they've at least molted, and even then I might just offer it up as an expansion, not a replacement. I'm going to clean the whole thing out and do it over with false bottom / drainage.

mariilene

Post by mariilene » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Princess is the only one that runs around during the day. This "cholla bridge" is between the shell shop and a moss pit (she's headed toward the moss pit) with the only way up and down next to the shop. She doesn't ever hang out in the pit - I think she just likes the bridge! Though I suspect she gets frustrated with it because she always tries to walk on top and it flips her over every time. :P
3 Small PPs: Itty, Princess, and Tonka!
Plus fishies, shrimps, a frog, and a Sphynx named Horace!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:24 pm

My crabs have been all hyped up recently. I've lost track of who's up and who's down since some keep going into ninja mode and disappearing overnight and another one pops up.

I'm thinking I need a second food dish in my 40B. Biggie is the king of that tank and parks his fat butt in the food dish and eats nonstop. They got raw salmon a few nights ago and I don't think anyone got to try any except for him. :lol: I was putting some static window clings on the front of the tank to decorate a bit, and he sat right in front of me the whole time, staring. He's one of my favorites but is such a creeper!

I'm worrying unnecessarily over my isolated crab, Piglet. Petsmart called and had me pick him up back on March 19th since he had surface molted and was naked and missing his BP. He re-shelled by the time I got him, but was super weak and went naked overnight the first night. Also, he didn't have any of his exo with him to eat. Got him re-shelled again and in a small iso container in the 55, and fortunately he perked up and basically ate nonstop. After he was stronger and was interested in shell shopping (and he switched into a nicer shell) I put him back in my iso tank so he could dig. He's been down since March 29th. Not that long, I know, but I hope the stress doesn't catch up to him and he can get through a molt. He had a good 9-10 days to eat of all kinds of protein and calcium, so I'm sure that helped.
mariilene wrote:Image

Princess is the only one that runs around during the day. This "cholla bridge" is between the shell shop and a moss pit (she's headed toward the moss pit) with the only way up and down next to the shop. She doesn't ever hang out in the pit - I think she just likes the bridge! Though I suspect she gets frustrated with it because she always tries to walk on top and it flips her over every time. :P
She's so cute! I have a fairly small branch leading to my moss pit and my larger crabs usually end up walking on it upside down. :lol:
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

klowns

Post by klowns » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Pool party!

Looks like we got 2 straws a pp and an E in the mix right now

Reppin' AZ!

mariilene

Post by mariilene » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:26 pm

Itty says, "This bowl is mine. Just mine."

3 Small PPs: Itty, Princess, and Tonka!
Plus fishies, shrimps, a frog, and a Sphynx named Horace!

NeatHedgehog

Post by NeatHedgehog » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:11 pm

Seems that two of my crabs are a bit stand-offish. After I lifted the lid, the largest of the bunch climbed up on top of the lava rock that lets them reach the ceiling. I didn't want to squish him when I put the lid back on, and not really wanting to handle him a lot (still only had them a month or so) I put my hand near him. He wasn't impressed.

Ok, dude, just... umm... poke poke. He just stuck himself a bit further out of his shell and waved his antennae at me.

Ok, so I'll just pick him up just for a second- well, he decided maybe he could latch onto the rock and twist around and kick / pinch at me, rather than retreat into his shell.

Finally we just looked back and forth at each other in a staring contest and he climbed down the rock out of... minor annoyance? Complete abhorrence for me? Not exactly sure.

The middle-sized of the group (but only a small, overall) is pretty much the same way. They do love those rocks, though, guess they're willing to fight for them. In the daytime they usually all huddle together on the same one.

Fortunately I am done with the water changes and food for tonight, and have the new temp controller and mist timer up and running, so they can freely spook around all night long without me popping in to tweak stuff manually all night. Good thing. I've only been sleeping a couple hours at a time so I could check their "vitals" via the IP cam.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:44 am

NeatHedgehog wrote:Seems that two of my crabs are a bit stand-offish. After I lifted the lid, the largest of the bunch climbed up on top of the lava rock that lets them reach the ceiling. I didn't want to squish him when I put the lid back on, and not really wanting to handle him a lot (still only had them a month or so) I put my hand near him. He wasn't impressed.

Ok, dude, just... umm... poke poke. He just stuck himself a bit further out of his shell and waved his antennae at me.

Ok, so I'll just pick him up just for a second- well, he decided maybe he could latch onto the rock and twist around and kick / pinch at me, rather than retreat into his shell.

Finally we just looked back and forth at each other in a staring contest and he climbed down the rock out of... minor annoyance? Complete abhorrence for me? Not exactly sure.

The middle-sized of the group (but only a small, overall) is pretty much the same way. They do love those rocks, though, guess they're willing to fight for them. In the daytime they usually all huddle together on the same one.

Fortunately I am done with the water changes and food for tonight, and have the new temp controller and mist timer up and running, so they can freely spook around all night long without me popping in to tweak stuff manually all night. Good thing. I've only been sleeping a couple hours at a time so I could check their "vitals" via the IP cam.
Your commentary is quite funny lol. I talk to my crabs all the time (yeah... I'm that pet owner) and about half the time I have super sarcastic conversations with them, especially my brave little souls who 'talk back' with wild antenna motion.

You could always lower your rocks to avoid needing to move crabs to shut your lid. It's been my experience that the more I try to move a crab off of something the harder they clamp down on it (this is usually when the sarcasm comes out). I don't handle my crabs if possible so I try to set up my tank so that it's not an issue unless of course it's redecorating day lol.

Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:57 am

I think instead if sarcasm mine get "ok stupid, stop it!"

Granted I am the owner of the dumbest dog on earth that actually responds to stupid like it is his name. Also "the big stupid".
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

NeatHedgehog

Post by NeatHedgehog » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:19 am

moonbeam wrote: You could always lower your rocks to avoid needing to move crabs to shut your lid. It's been my experience that the more I try to move a crab off of something the harder they clamp down on it (this is usually when the sarcasm comes out). I don't handle my crabs if possible so I try to set up my tank so that it's not an issue unless of course it's redecorating day lol.
Yeah, my lid ended up sticking down a bit further than I originally intended because I stuck a cork-bark liner on the bottom for them to climb on. Kind of a spur of the moment "well, what the heck, I'm out here cutting stuff anymore, may as well" thing. They're getting a real bang out of it, running upsidedown like spiders all night.

I wanted to rearrange the rock last night, but since everyone was piled on it like it was a hotel, I figured just let the majority of them be for the time being and I'd try to catch a time when they were strolling around. :lol:
KellyCrabbieLove wrote:I think instead if sarcasm mine get "ok stupid, stop it!"

Granted I am the owner of the dumbest dog on earth that actually responds to stupid like it is his name. Also "the big stupid".
We had a goat we ended up calling by "Stu / Stupe" because we were trying to get to out of the pen for milking one day (we always trained them to come out for their "turn" when we opened the door and called their names). Well, she wouldn't come by the name we wanted, so my mother yelled "HEY STUPID!" and she trotted right out.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Wed May 06, 2015 9:35 pm

Well Madison came up from her second molt looking super fly as always :) Image
Wilson was either jealous of the spotlight or just really curious about what I was doing so I took a quick one of him defiantly starring me down (obviously I moved to the side and took the picture at lightening...ish speed haha) Image
Caught lil mama playing peekaboo with the leaves. Image
And I found out my wheat grass is growing in the pod tank! I've tried it in the main tank with no success. Maybe it's bc there's only eco earth in the pod tank and its a mixture in the main tank? By the way the pod tank is a KK so excuse the grit and grime build up. Image

NeatHedgehog

Post by NeatHedgehog » Fri May 08, 2015 1:40 pm

Well, I think they're finally getting the idea to molt. Two I know for sure were in tunnels and didn't emerge in the daytime, and the third wasn't in the usual lava rock retreat so he might have buried somewhere I can't see. Fourth one is hanging out by himself above ground.

Hard to believe I've only had these guys a little over a month. I'd been getting paranoid about when they'd molt because it felt like a lot longer. :lol: Hope I have the 30g all set by the time they come up.