What are your crabs up to?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

KellyCrabbieLove

Re: What are your crabs up to?

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:14 pm

kadynadair16 wrote:Scared Ariel today on accident when she was eating food on the second level, she ducked into her Shell so fast she rolled off the platform and onto the log. I felt bad but I couldn't keep from laughing.
I always crack up when I see that. :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:20 pm

fantasybookworm wrote:I finally got confirmation that the crabs can get up on the shelf! I'd wrapped the supports in hemp rope so they could climb up it, but I hadn't seen any of them on either shelf level (or even any evidence of them up there) until today. Boromir climbed up after I scared him away from his egg shell he was enjoying...oops! I got a couple pictures of him up on the shelf to post later. :D
Yay!

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Sitting himself on top of the shrimp to munch on some berries Image

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 crabs Image

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:10 am

I posted this in my photo thread, but am still so happy I got to see someone actually chilling/snacking in the moss pit tonight! I need to set up better access to it I think...

4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

izombie616

Post by izombie616 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:53 pm

Originally when i set up the 20g and made a cool little moss pit with a soap shelf from bed bath and beyond and a ladder from a bird toy up to it none of my crabs wanted anything to do with it. Now I'm pretty sure at least 3 of the 4 are buried somewhere in there. They won't come out! I have extra shells in there and if someone thinks they are going to molt in there I'm not going to poke around. Oh well, at least they like it. Wish they would molt in the substrate... or just molt at all lol.

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:08 pm

Two of Three has disappeared again. He changed into a smaller shell the other day. He's probably gotten imaptient waiting for me to finish the new digs, and gone down to molt just to spite me.

Three of Three is a nut. He put on a larger shell a few days ago, and couldn't fit into his usual hidey hole. He spent almost an entire day tucked on top of the big shell in the corner; he seems to like sleeping there. That started last night. This evening, I was moving stuff in that room like crazy trying to reorganuze the closet. I noticed that sometime during this commotion he climbed down off the big shell and was checking out other shells. I boiled new shells today, so I brought those in from the patio where I'd put them to dry. I was sure he'd freak, but he just kept on studying his old shell as I added ten green turbos to the pile not three inches from where he sat. So now I am just sitting here watching him. I have watched him switch back into his old shell. Then he walked around in a circle, checked out the shell he just vacated, and switched back into it again.

Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:38 pm

Dang, I had to go away and do stuff and I missed it. Now Three is in a green turbo.

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:38 pm

For the first time over the last year, I found two visible caves!
ImageImage
This was a few days ago. I was pretty excited but I figured neither would stay long due to the amount of light going through the glass. Boy was I wrong! I came home last night to this little guy freshly molted. The picture is a tad dark but you can clearly see the claw of the crab in the shell behind the exo.
I went ahead and covered both caves with paper stickies to reduce the amount of light coming through. I can't see enough into the other cave to tell whether or not that crab is molting but I figure it's better to cover both caves just in case.
This was my first time seeing a molted crab in person(with the exception of my newest adoption in which a freshly molted crab was brought over without the exo). It was so interesting! My main concern now is to make sure I interfere as little as possible with these two caves so that they can complete healthy molts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:52 pm

That is definitely out of the ordinary. My 2 year old was squealing this morning while I checked the filter on my fw. Turns out there was a window with someone happily digging. She was so excited.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:45 pm

My crabs have been on a rampage in the 55 - craters everywhere, cork knocked over, etc. The 40 gallon is a little calmer, but not much. One of my molters came up and I think it's Mario, so that made me happy. I was trying to fluff the moss in the 55 and offended my big guy, Toad. He's a super drama queen - if I handle him too much he buries for a few hours.

Sven is one of my best models! He's fearless and adorable.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Sven is adorable! And :lol: I think Merry's like Toad - I last handled him at least a week ago (I don't even remember when exactly) when I found him burrowed under the food bowl & pulled him out to measure his new shell opening. Aaaaand I haven't seen him since. :roll: I didn't realize I was THAT scary! At least Boromir doesn't seem to mind me as much, though he still runs for cover half of the time I disturb or surprise him. :lol:

_PandorasBox_

Post by _PandorasBox_ » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:41 pm

Ender, my smallest ( I call her a girl because I haven't seen nearly as much hair on the legs as Ark ) keeps walking sideways, and when she was climbing up a climber thing, Ark was right near it, checking a shell out. With her missing leg ( Hopefully her first molt will get it back, must've been a petstore inncident ) , she was having a hard time staying off of the side, so she just used Ark to pull herself up, stepped right on his head.
And Ark keeps trying to climb out of the container, though since it's a crate-thing, I don't think he'll be able to :P He's a sweetheart that gets pushed around by his practical little sister, though once he did just kinda shove her out of his way / climbed on top of her multiple times. They're a weird pair, but at least they seem playful with each other and know when it's bad to get too roudy -Not gonna let them try to get too rough, a dunk and time out corner is what they earn, and half the time they stay in that corner after I place them there -
Owner of two cute PPs
Ark and Ender

Topic author
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:01 pm

Checked on my window molter tonight. The crab has eaten most of its exo and has grown and darkened a bit. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabby crew of 17- Bob, Lil Mama, Squirt, Guppy, Deacon, Madison, Bash, Thumbelina, Wilson, George, Rosie, Hercules, Speedy, Jeff, Jerry, Keen, and Reddington :)

Asheka

Post by Asheka » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:40 pm

I think I only have one crab up now. Been at least a week since I've seen anyone but Peeta when I switch out foods, or even a quick peek during the day. *sigh* Hopefully the Crabby Cam gets set up next week lol
4 cats. 1 Dwarf African Frog. 1 amazing fiance. Four PPs; Peeta, Finnick, Katniss, and Rue.
Don't Hate What You Don't Understand PRIDE!
http://crabtaztic.blogspot.ca
Turning the gross and scary cute and merry at PlayfulDead Creationz

meg_and_the_zoo

Post by meg_and_the_zoo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:20 am

Just watched Twitch hunker down late last night. Back filled a tunnel under ALL of the dishes lol and is now propped up against the glass. I covered the window and am going to try so hard to be good and not peek

Balla and Fat Boy are up and about...the other 4 are MIA right now

Zoo mom of 3 cats, a dog, a fish and 3 crabs