Anyone else have crabs with tunnel fever?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Careyenz

Anyone else have crabs with tunnel fever?

Post by Careyenz » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the seasonal change. Our Indian summer seems to be over here in Pittsburgh, and for the past two weeks my crabs have been tearing the tank to pieces. I'm pretty sure my big girl Straw is preparing for a molt, but the rest are joining in too. It's definitely a behavioral change that's taken place. I'm assuming they are getting ready for their mass winter "hibernation!" Anyone else noticing the same thing?
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

kuza

Re: Anyone else have crabs with tunnel fever?

Post by kuza » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Yup, mine has started. I've posted pics of this time before where my tank looks like a roller-coaster for ants around the glass. Digging under the water dish, so annoying!

Topic author
Careyenz

Post by Careyenz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:29 am

My freshwater pool has been filled three days in a row now!!
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:18 am

I live just outside of Pittsburgh and my crabs are just pigging out! No tunneling yet but I wonder if they will start soon!

Skymall007

Post by Skymall007 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:38 am

One crab of mine has turned opposite. He used to only travel via ornate laberrith (spelling?) system and now he is out and about. I didn't know they often go down for winter ?
2Es- Sputnikt+Strangeship 1PP- Bluebug
RIP Spatula, HerbitHermenBatSquash, Kiwi, Flour, and Friendlyfeat, Mi6, Grape, Umo, and Upsidedown