Merry Christmas to me...not.

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
LightFlower

Merry Christmas to me...not.

Post by LightFlower » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:07 am

I wake up today, Christmas Eve, and am cleaning my room and making my bed before my boyfriend comes over and I glanced in the crabitat, about to change the water. There by the water bowl, one of my oldest crabs who had dug down yesterday was lying naked and dead on the surface, his shell beside him. I wouldn't be surprised if my newest one was the culprit but I can't stop crying and I don't know what to do to prevent more of my crabs from dying...I love them so much.... conditions were perfect and it seems to be a result of a crab/crab conflict. I was exhausted last night and heard chirping but I passed out for the night promptly after. I can't stop bawling. I loved Swirl so much... He had grown so much over his first couple molts...
4 Purple Pinchers: Spiral, Violet, Cinnamon and Swirl

megmaholm

Re: Merry Christmas to me...not.

Post by megmaholm » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:15 am

I'm so sorry :(
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

hermieluv1

Post by hermieluv1 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:32 am

So, so sorry, honey! It sounds like it was a fight. That is nature, and as much as we try to intervene , sometimes things turn violent and there is nothing we can do to stop it. It doesn't make it any easier to accept, I know.

I had a battle in my tank last night also. It is hard to go through.

Try to enjoy your holiday anyway.

Hermit-Yote

Post by Hermit-Yote » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:39 am

*hugs* :cry:
"Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace."
—Albert Schweitzer

gotta-crab-em-all

Post by gotta-crab-em-all » Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:12 am

I've heard that dying crabs often leave their shells on their own because they don't have the energy to lug it around anymore and its a last ditch effort for them. If it was a fight, the crab would probably be picked at and partially eaten, or its shell stolen. I'm so sorry for your loss :(
Shuckle (f), Clauncher (f), Omanyte (f), Weedle (f), Ralts (f) : 55gal Crabitat

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:48 am

If he was naked near the water and his body doesn't show any major trauma he probably wasn't attacked. My guess would be he went down for a possible molt, realized something was wrong, and tried to make it to the water dishes. He was probably so weak he lost his shell in the process. Hermit crabs are prone to a behavior I've always called "beaching", just like in whales and such.