Eating dirt?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
CrabCakes

Eating dirt?

Post by CrabCakes » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:00 pm

Hello everyone! Mr.Crabs just got finished with a molt 3 days ago. But he is still in that same spot where he was molting at. Doesn't drink or eat his foods but ive realized when I see him he eats dirt or sand! Is what he is doing normal or do I need to do something?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Acceb_becca

Re: Eating dirt?

Post by Acceb_becca » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:04 pm

Don't worry! He's eating his exoskeleton! It's the old hard layer that they shed when they molt. It's full of nutrients to help them regrow their "skin".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:14 pm

Eating substrate, grains of sand from the tank wall, bits of cocomat, cork, wood = all perfectly normal and apparently quite yummy!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
CrabCakes

Post by CrabCakes » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Acceb_becca wrote:Don't worry! He's eating his exoskeleton! It's the old hard layer that they shed when they molt. It's full of nutrients to help them regrow their "skin".

He finished his exo just is funny to see him eat dirt and sand! Wanted to make sure it is anything

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Acceb_becca

Post by Acceb_becca » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:00 pm

Sometimes Bertram eats the dirt and I'm like" I give you fresh worm castings and u choose the cheap food( Eco earth) wow..." I need to do a better job raising him lol