Shell fight?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Shell fight?

Post by me n my hermikids » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:45 am

Good morning, all. Last night i did some rearranging in the crabitat, and went to bed. The "kids" played around and trashed all my hard work, of course. when i got up this morning, one of my mediums was in a tiny shell that just barely covered his butt. He couldnt recede at all. I immediately put him in the shell shop where he changed into a bigger shell without hesitation. I dont know how long he was in that way too small shell, because i was asleep. I also dont know how agressive the battle was but he has all his limbs still. Now that the immediate danger has passed, should i be worried? Once he changed shells, he proceded to dig down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Laurie LeAnn

Re: Shell fight?

Post by Laurie LeAnn » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:14 am

I wouldn't worry to much..if he still has bod parts. He could of went and changed into a smaller shell all by himself during the night and then an other crab took it.. shell fights can get pretty vicious.. crabs usually don't want to just give up their homes so freely..the robber will get on their back and start rocking the other crab and trying to get at him..if the crab can't get back far enough the crab will rip him out..

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:34 am

Are you positive it was a shell fight? The bigger crab is almost always the winner, so it's weird that he had a smaller shell unless you had another similar sized crab wearing it before him. He could have just been being weird and put on a too small shell. They do that sometimes!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:27 am

I am not positive, i just made the assumption that he would not have chosen a shell he could barely fit his bum in, let alone retreat into. If i wasnt scared for him, i woulda took a picture. Now that the immediate danger has passed it was a funny site.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:44 pm

These guys are so funny about shells! There are many variables they consider when changing shells, size is only one of them. For example they may choose a way too small shell because another crab has modified it, and they like what was done with the place.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa