Crab Punching behavior

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
DancingCorgi

Crab Punching behavior

Post by DancingCorgi » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:19 pm

So I'm just wondering about the behavior of my new crab, since everything else has been fine.
He/she destressed under the substrate for a while when I got him and now he's been hanging out on the surface with one of my other crabs, Rory. They seem to be getting along fine. Except a couple of times now, when Rory has gotten close to my new crab (Craig as I call him) he punches him! The first time he more shoved him sideways, but just now he took both of his front claws and punched at Rory several times with them together.
Is this just a defensive move? So far this is the only violent looking interaction, there has been no shell grabbing or anything
Time*Travel*Hermies
Rory Donna Rose

courtbri

Crab Punching behavior

Post by courtbri » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:51 pm

May just be establishing boundaries or roles? Telling Rory he is not a pushover and doesn't want to be bothered? I'm interested to hear others input.

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

Crabinski

Re: Crab Punching behavior

Post by Crabinski » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:58 am

Certainly sounds like a pecking order thing, even though Craig is the new crab and Rory the established crab. All of my crabs coexist fairly amicably but Felix (aka the King of the Tank) lets the other three know when they're "getting in his face", so to speak, by charging or shoving the offending crab. He does this regardless of the size of the other crab.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

CallaLily

Re: Crab Punching behavior

Post by CallaLily » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:09 pm

Yes, definitely a dominance thing. It shouldn't lead to anything to worry about.