Over Hill Over Dale, Will my Hermie Ever Pick a New Shell?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Kittykimbro@att.net

Over Hill Over Dale, Will my Hermie Ever Pick a New Shell?

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:48 pm

One of my smaller medium sized PPs chose a shell from the shop. It is located behind the fresh and salt water pools on the left side of my 55g tank. S/he carried this shell up out of the shell shop, into the pool and out, down that ramp, across the entire length of the tank, up a vine and into the moss pit, only to leave it there, empty and abandoned. The one s/he is in now is a painted one and I am anxious for him/ her to have a new one. Any ideas as to why all of the work and no change of shells?

4 Shy PPs (New Family Members)
1 Senior Loveable Mutt Dog (13yrs)
5 Grown (Whew) Children
2 wonderful Granddaughters
1 Patient Husband!

Ilovehermies74

Re: Over Hill Over Dale, Will my Hermie Ever Pick a New Shel

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:01 pm

She probiblyn just decided it was too small or something my crabs have done that. If you want to pursuade her into a shell you can wash it out with salt water it works for my crabs (or atleast gets them interested.)
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

Topic author
Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:26 pm

I rinsed them all in the salt water but to no avail. I was just amazed that she would carry it that far and then just leave it. Such a work out. Glad to know that she is not the only one to do it. Thanks so much for the reply. :hlol:

5 Grown (Whew) Children
1 Patient Husband!

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Yeah no problem :D I assume she will eventually change out of the painted shell so pay attention and when she does, take it out so no other hermit crabs change into it
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:55 pm

After you take the shell out you can take off the paint. I did it with 1,000,000 toothpicks and distilled white vinegar. After that he will have the shell all to himself. :lol: :wink:

Topic author
Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:17 pm

Krusty Krab wrote:After you take the shell out you can take off the paint. I did it with 1,000,000 toothpicks and distilled white vinegar. After that he will have the shell all to himself. :lol: :wink:
He did switch and I am going to try that. I have an old metal dental pick that I use for crafts, I think I will give that a try instead of toothpicks. Do you think it will be too harsh?

5 Grown (Whew) Children
1 Patient Husband!

Krusty Krab

Post by Krusty Krab » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:17 am

Since she loves that shell so much I would use the dental one if there is still chips of paint on it, that a few toothpicks can't get off.
Hermies are sensitive to Chemicals. So just to be safe when you are done soak it (or boil it) in salt water.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks. :banana:

5 Grown (Whew) Children
1 Patient Husband!