My Crab Keeps Falling

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
NLindsey921

My Crab Keeps Falling

Post by NLindsey921 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:15 pm

I have a medium sized pp named Zeus. I named him that because compared to my other crabs he is the largest and he loves to hang upside down from the lid of the tank. The problem is he is always falling from the lid to the substrate below. A couple of times he has fallen onto a piece of grapewood I have in the tank or even into the food bowl. It doesn't seem to hurt him but he does make a very loud thud when he lands.
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

dayhawk68

Re: My Crab Keeps Falling

Post by dayhawk68 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:24 pm

Does he have a lot of climbing options? If not you could get creative and make him something to climb on that wouldn't be as bad as a drop.
3 PPs. Pangxie (female). KaniKama (unsure). Jageun Ge or Geh(Male).

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:53 pm

He has a vine that wraps around two sides of the tank and he has cholla wood and grapewood in three different places. He also has an artificial plant. In my opinion he has plenty of places to climb. He just likes to hang from the lid.

dayhawk68

Post by dayhawk68 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:48 pm

NLindsey921 wrote:He has a vine that wraps around two sides of the tank and he has cholla wood and grapewood in three different places. He also has an artificial plant. In my opinion he has plenty of places to climb. He just likes to hang from the lid.
What a funny lil guy! Maybe add a level so that when he drops he drops onto something soft and the fall wouldn't be long.
3 PPs. Pangxie (female). KaniKama (unsure). Jageun Ge or Geh(Male).

Topic author
NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:16 am

dayhawk68 wrote:
NLindsey921 wrote:He has a vine that wraps around two sides of the tank and he has cholla wood and grapewood in three different places. He also has an artificial plant. In my opinion he has plenty of places to climb. He just likes to hang from the lid.
What a funny lil guy! Maybe add a level so that when he drops he drops onto something soft and the fall wouldn't be long.
i have a two piece second level. One piece is a small little shell shop and the other piece is a moss pit. I used a plastic soap dish for the shell shop (working on getting something bigger) and a plastic shower shelf for the moss pit. He never climbs over them though. They are on the back and left side of the tank and he only climbs on the right and front sides.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:24 am

It's not anything to worry about. It would take a much bigger fall to be cause for concern. ;)

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:30 pm

Land hermit crab are also known as tree crabs as they climb trees in the wild. They are used to taking falls to the ground. I wouldn't worry about it. Mine fall on the daily, whether it be into the pool below or the sand. I sware, sometimes they do it on purpose! No worries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

JamieL

Post by JamieL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:30 am

It's really cute when they fall from the top and cannonball into a water dish. Then they have to wade out all sheepishly. Mine fall all the time. :)

jasonmom

Post by jasonmom » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:30 am

JamieL wrote:It's really cute when they fall from the top and cannonball into a water dish. Then they have to wade out all sheepishly. Mine fall all the time. :)

Love seeing them do this. :hlol: :hlol: :hlol:

:hello2:

Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:52 pm

That happens to me too jamieL :hlol: :D So funny and cute
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

jehovahgodislord

Post by jehovahgodislord » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:47 pm

Mine fall so much I got scared they would crack their shell on their Crab Coconut Hut, so I moved it and put green Moss their to soften their fall. They Love to Clime

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk