New crab owner-first molt

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
PTCrabs

New crab owner-first molt

Post by PTCrabs » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi guys! So we had a surface molter, he did what he needed to do as far as molt however he decided to be a "nudist" for a few days...Lol...so because we can't have that I successfully reshelled him with the help of the admin and a friend I met on this forum. They were so very helpful! We saved our crab and he's doing great however, he's not very mobile and I'm worried he will get thirsty or starve cause he won't walk. I just went in there and he was trying to move but he was almost out of his shell trying to get his feet on the ground. So I did move him where the opening is toward the sand and he's able to come out and lift the shell but that's it. Is this normal for a while till he gets stronger or did we put him in a shell to big? Image (I was taught how to measure for the next size and this shell is the next size from what he was in) Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilentgringa

Re: New crab owner-first molt

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:46 pm

Hey! It's me Sarah! LOL

He is looking so much better! Just let him rest and do his crabby thing and offer plenty of good foods.

I'm pretty sure I've linked the care guides before but if I haven't here it is again:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=92457

Please forgive me if I have, I just send it to so many people over and over throughout the day it's hard to keep track. <3

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:47 pm

OH!!! Did you notice that he has regrown an eye!!! He has apparently lost his eye at some point and now it is growing back. It may never be the same size as the other one, but that is awesome!

This little crab has been through some stuff! He has seen things. He maybe lost an eye for seeing the things.

Topic author
PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:52 pm

Hey!!!! :-) yea my friend I met in this forum told me he did! That's crazy I didn't know they re grew eyes! I knew they regenerated legs :-) yea when we got him he didn't have an eye so my son named him Uno Image he likes saving the babies so he always picks animals w something wrong...we once had a Guinea pig named Lola that wasnt cared for properly before we adopted her and had a seizure so her head was cocked to the side permanently so eventually she passed away but he gave her a good home while we could :-) He's 10 today :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErikRasmussen

Post by ErikRasmussen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:20 pm

seems like these guys will regrow just about anything. i had a crab lose like half of its body when it escaped its tank and ended up in the floorboards (dont ask) but one molt later and he was good as new. Keep us posted on that eye i am curious to see if it gets bigger on the next molt