Bullying Crab

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
FeelingCrabby

Bullying Crab

Post by FeelingCrabby » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Since I've had them my crabs have usually been okay to each other. Sometimes they hang around each other, but usually kept to themselves for the most part. I was surprised when a week+ ago they started sleeping together next to the heat pad (before it was in a part of the tank they didn't hang around much, but I rearranged the stuff.) It isn't a temperature issue, so I just assumed they liked being warmer when they slept? Then a couple days ago only one crab, my larger one was sleeping by himself. I didn't think much about it until I saw one crab wander over near the pad and was pushed away!

He is a little larger than my other crabs, with a giant shell about twice the size of the others' shells (roughly the size of a half-dollar). He didn't hurt the crab, just pushed him in his shell until he was a few inches away. Since then I've added another heat pad but nobody seems interested in it. They only like the one heat pad. I've even tried moving the bully away, or moving the others to the new heat pad, but they always wander back.

What should I do? Should I move the heat pad out of their reach? Will he start bullying the others over food and water? Should I take him out of the tank altogether? I have 5 crabs (one is in ISO molting right now) and a 29 galleon tank.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Bullying Crab

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Honestly I wouldn't worry about it- they are probably re-establishing the pecking order with the one being removed. As long as nobody is vocal and being hijacked out of the shell I think it is fine. Do you have enough shells for them?

Edit: could be a male/female thing as well.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
FeelingCrabby

Re: Bullying Crab

Post by FeelingCrabby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Ah, okay. I've just heard stories of crabs becoming territorial and killing the other crabs and I wanted to prevent that best I could. I have around 15 shells in the big tank right now, with a few extras I keep out so I can switch them every few weeks.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:18 pm

The HCA recommends 3-5 shells per crab. I personally recommend more. One can never have too many shells. Check out the shell guide so you buy the preferred ones though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:24 pm

FeelingCrabby wrote:Ah, okay. I've just heard stories of crabs becoming territorial and killing the other crabs and I wanted to prevent that best I could. I have around 15 shells in the big tank right now, with a few extras I keep out so I can switch them every few weeks.
Usually when crabs become mean/aggressive there is a reason.

I second the "as many shells as you can" idea. You can also rotate them out so they have "new" ones every so often.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:02 am

Has long as they aren't aiming for body parts I wouldn't worry. They could like where the other heat pad is located as it is warm and dark. Regardless, keep and eye but don't worry too much.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies