Crabs aren’t very active

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
uncfamily

Crabs aren’t very active

Post by uncfamily » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:53 am

I everyone I’m a newbie. We have had 2 crabs Stryker and Scooter since the end of August. I wanted one so I got Big Bertha. We have a great crabitat for them. It’s a 10 gallon tank, Half sand, the other is coconut fiber. Lots of stuff to climb on, salt water, conditioned water, fresh food. Temp is at 80 and humidity is around 70-75. But we never see them they r always buried or making tunnels everywhere. They r in my sons room and he hears them some at night but not a lot. We have a light on during the day and then another Red light for night. My boys are getting frustrated because they never see them. I don’t know what else to do to make them happy and comfortable. I did find a claw today and I believe it’s from Big Bertha. She is buried and I didn’t want to dig her up fearing she might be molting? But I did see Stryker and Scooter in a rare appearance when I gave them fresh foo. I looked at them and their claws looked fine. Any suggestions on how to get them active? I’m kinda obsessed with them lol! I wanna play!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabsalicious

Re: Crabs aren’t very active

Post by Crabsalicious » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:54 am

Hi! Welcome! I don't have a lot of time to respond more in depth, but the humidity really needs to be at 80 degrees F minimum. That would probably help with activity. They need the higher humidity for their modified gills. I got mine in August too, and they've been under a lot for months but are coming up now. They may be molting too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:29 pm

When my crabs came up from their molt, I noticed they would be a lot more active :)
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
uncfamily

Post by uncfamily » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:15 pm

I can’t seem to get my humidity to stay above 75. I get it to 80 but it won’t stay at that temp very long. I am spraying it quite often throughout the day.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:20 pm

uncfamily wrote:I can’t seem to get my humidity to stay above 75. I get it to 80 but it won’t stay at that temp very long. I am spraying it quite often throughout the day.

Do you have digital or analog guages? Do a search for "calibrate hygrometer" and make sure to always calibrate it. 75% humidity is fine and overspraying can cause floods and bacterial blooms. We suggest 80% as a minimum typically but the humidity isn't constant in some of the higher regions they're found in.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
uncfamily

Post by uncfamily » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:30 pm

soilentgringa wrote:
uncfamily wrote:I can’t seem to get my humidity to stay above 75. I get it to 80 but it won’t stay at that temp very long. I am spraying it quite often throughout the day.

Do you have digital or analog guages? Do a search for "calibrate hygrometer" and make sure to always calibrate it. 75% humidity is fine and overspraying can cause floods and bacterial blooms. We suggest 80% as a minimum typically but the humidity isn't constant in some of the higher regions they're found in.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
I have an analog gauge and I am going to attempt to calibrate it tomorrow. :shock: I got to see all 3 of them today so I know they aren't molting. I am going to clean the tank, put new sand and coconut fiber in, some new climbing toys, and I am debating on the "pools". I don't have a ton of room in the tank since it's only a 10 gallon. I am in the process of looking for a larger tank. Maybe that will get them moving and more active, if not then I don't know what else to do. Any other suggestions?

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:47 am

Does the claw u found look hollow or like it has meat inside? If it's hallow it may be that big bertha molted and didn't finish eating the claw and another crab brought it up or she may be sneaking up at night and brought it up. If it looks meaty inside this is cause for concern. she may have dropped it due to stress or pps.

If you just got them recently then they are probably still distressing and preparing to molt. Once they molt and come back up they will be much more active. they are nocturnal so they may be active at like 3-4 am and then hiding again by the time u wake. Also I find my crabs are more active when I keep the temp around 86. It would prob be a good idea to get digital gauge.
And make sure u check out the food lists and feed them plenty of protein and calcium sources.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:50 pm

I’ll just encourage you to never dig up any crabs for any reason, especially if they might be molting. I accidentally uncovered my largest E, and he died a week later.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!