Can E’s and PP’s live in the same habitat?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Ijustcantsayno

Can E’s and PP’s live in the same habitat?

Post by Ijustcantsayno » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:30 pm

I went to my local pet shop for some cat litter. And i came home with 2 E’s to add to my colony of 9 PP’s that are in a 75 gallon tank. The new E’s caught my son’s eye and that was that. I know i need to get different shells for them, and will order some online tomorrow.
Am i crazy for trying to put them in with my PP’s?

I’m open to any and all thoughts/ideas/suggestions out there. If i need to get them their own setup i can...but it will take time. I do have a 10 gallon tank i could use if necessary in the mean time.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Can E’s and PP’s live in the same habitat?

Post by aussieJJDude » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:34 pm

They can live fine with each other, depends on the individual crabs personality. Sometimes it works, other times... not so much. Generally, it works out fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:37 pm

I had mines in a tank together and they did perfectly well with each other. I never had any problems directly related to them being different species.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:42 pm

Yes. I have PP's, E's and Straws in mine.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Ijustcantsayno

Post by Ijustcantsayno » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:04 am

Oh thank goodness! I wasn’t looking forward to rearranging my living room to accomodate another large crab tank. We live in an older house. It seems like whoever built the house tried to strategically place the outlets in the most inconvenient places.

Thank you all for your quick response and easing my mind! :P

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:38 am

I have Es with my PPs. :) I recommend a minimum of 10-12" of substrate for Es - they are HUGE diggers! I also recommend that you provide a lot of protein and calcium. :) I give mine two proteins a day to choose from. (But, that is me!)

Edit: I also recommend for the gallons per crab that Es get a minimum of 10 gallons each to avoid conflict.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com