What am I doing wrong with new crabs?!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
ErinC2017

What am I doing wrong with new crabs?!

Post by ErinC2017 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:27 pm

So, in the last two months, I've upgraded my 10 gallon tank to a beautiful (on sale) 29 gallon tank. I made sure that the humidity and the temp were all good before getting new crabs.
So to clarify, I have PPs. Flash and George, who I've had for about a year now, and Maui and Moana, who have been here for 6 months. In March, I purchased the last 4 crabs from Petco, and with in a few days, I lost three! I know one was super stressed, so he went to an isolation tank to calm down and rest but he was gone the next morning. The other two just died!
Now, at the beginning of April, I found a giant PP at Petco and had to get him. Loved him, and he was gone with in a week! I thought I was doing everything right!
Fresh water, dechlorinated, humidity is at around 75 and 80%, the heat is around 80. Lots of moss and coconut fiber for them to dig and be happy crabs!
I don't know what I'm doing wrong?!

:crabbigsmile: :crabblush: :shock: :shock:

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: What am I doing wrong with new crabs?!

Post by wodesorel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:32 pm

It is NOT you! All crabs are wild caught and they go through heck before they even get to a store that provides them with less than good conditions. You're looking at a wild animal that is being asked to adapt to life in captivity which is already hard enough, but then couple that with having been treated as objects for sale because it is so cheap to go out and catch more that it isn't worth it to the people who transport and sell to treat them properly. They arrive starved and dehydrated and stressed and often physically injured or with damage from excessive cold or heat. The survival rate on newly purchased crabs is low.

We have an entire article explaining more about it and some ideas to help them recover here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=92531
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

wrswrs2

Post by wrswrs2 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:40 pm

When I got my crabs, 3 of the 4 originals died. One literally went into the crabitat, buried and was dead within hours. The other 2 took a little longer, but they ended up dying as well.
Now Ihave a few others and so far they are doing amazing! A bit 2 of them are a bit dull, but my other 2 are super active! You are not alone!

So I say it's not you, I think it's the batch of crabs and how they are treated while coming to you, like said above!

Topic author
ErinC2017

Post by ErinC2017 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:57 pm

Thank you guys! I just felt like what am I doing wrong!!!??? Especially with my Jumbo! He was super active and then the next day just not doing anything. I figured it was just a new environment and he was adjusting. But he's gone. I did get a new one this weekend, because I just can't stand that some little kid might get them and not know what to do. He's doing well. He immediately went into a moss hide away and has since come out for food. He really likes grapes!

But I get my crabs from our new Petco, and the people there are really good at taking care of the little animals. But it's stress.

Thank you again for answering!!! I'm glad I'm not killing them because of some stupid reason!

P.S. : I now officially have 6 PP's that are happy, healthy, and loving life in a huge tank. I'm think I might be getting a few more so they can have a whole group! The cat, she's not really sure what to do with our new friends! :-)

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:17 pm

ErinC2017 wrote:Thank you guys! I just felt like what am I doing wrong!!!??? Especially with my Jumbo! He was super active and then the next day just not doing anything. I figured it was just a new environment and he was adjusting. But he's gone. I did get a new one this weekend, because I just can't stand that some little kid might get them and not know what to do. He's doing well. He immediately went into a moss hide away and has since come out for food. He really likes grapes!

But I get my crabs from our new Petco, and the people there are really good at taking care of the little animals. But it's stress.

Thank you again for answering!!! I'm glad I'm not killing them because of some stupid reason!

P.S. : I now officially have 6 PP's that are happy, healthy, and loving life in a huge tank. I'm think I might be getting a few more so they can have a whole group! The cat, she's not really sure what to do with our new friends! :-)
Oh, that's awesome!
How large of a tank?
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:19 am

Sorry you went through that! Congrats on your new guys! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ErinC2017

Post by ErinC2017 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:20 am

As to the size of the tank, it's a 29 gallon tank!!! Petco has a $1 per gallon up to 29 gallon sale, and I've been waiting to get one! I always missed it, but I got the last one about a month ago! Got a new stand and it looks fabulous!!!

I got it set up with about 6 to 7 inches of coconut fiber( they love digging and making tunnels!), put some moss in there, my original cage Hermit Hotel on it's side and a hide away that's big enough for even a jumbo to crawl under. I have a shower caddy in the corner, but i'm working on getting them something to climb on to get up there. I'm making my own out of jewelry wire.

I also got a fogger, since I can't seem to keep the humidity at the right spot! Let me tell you, it's A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! It heats the water and the heat stays exactly where it needs to be! They are all loving it!! I'll try to take some good pictures and post them in the thread for the tank pictures!!

And my new guy needs a name. I currently have : Flash, George, Moana, Maui, Pua, and the new guy. Any suggestions?!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu May 10, 2018 2:11 pm

Heya, I'm late to the party, but just wanted to suggest that you hold off on getting more crabs for a bit.

Heres why: a 29 gal is great initially, but they will all (hopefully!) grow - and the more crabs you have, the sooner you will need an upgrade. Besides which a 29 gal is likely a wee bit cramped for a true jumbo, which we recommend a minimum 50 gallon, with 18" wide (and truthfully, they're active enough that a 4 foot minimum length is advisable, IMO). Though I realize this isn't an issue any more, and I'm very sorry for your loss! :(

You are welcome to use the minimum crabs per gallon guidelines, of course, but more crabs doesn't necessarily mean happier crabs. :)

Just wanted to offer food for thought... it's tempting to add more crabs, but any animal can develop agressive behaviours if it begins to feel crowded.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
ErinC2017

Post by ErinC2017 » Sun May 27, 2018 7:38 am

I haven't gotten any more since I've posted this! Thank you for the insight. Right now, they have a lot of room. I currently still only have 6 crabs, and they are doing well. I've got enough shells for everyone to have a choice, and boy are they changing. I have to have new shells in there for Flash, because he's a shell stealer! He sees a new crab and will evict them for the shell! So to placate him, new shells!

As of today, Flash has successfully molted! I was going to clean the tank today and add fresh coconut fiber, and some deeper fresh and saltwater pools, but after a careful examination, I found him dug down and a couple of days old exo. So in another week, I'll be cleaning.

I've added more climbing things for everyone, and they are loving it. For community animals, they spend a lot of time wondering from each other. Literally, they all have their favorite sleeping spots in all corners of the tank.

I'm also going to add some plants(ones that have not been exposed to pesticides, etc) so they have more of the tropic feel. Now that I have a decent humidifier and heat source, the plants should thrive! If they don't eat them, that is!

Thank you all for the wonderful advice! Everyone is thriving and doing well.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 28, 2018 8:09 am

ErinC2017 wrote:I haven't gotten any more since I've posted this! Thank you for the insight. Right now, they have a lot of room. I currently still only have 6 crabs, and they are doing well. I've got enough shells for everyone to have a choice, and boy are they changing. I have to have new shells in there for Flash, because he's a shell stealer! He sees a new crab and will evict them for the shell! So to placate him, new shells!

As of today, Flash has successfully molted! I was going to clean the tank today and add fresh coconut fiber, and some deeper fresh and saltwater pools, but after a careful examination, I found him dug down and a couple of days old exo. So in another week, I'll be cleaning.

I've added more climbing things for everyone, and they are loving it. For community animals, they spend a lot of time wondering from each other. Literally, they all have their favorite sleeping spots in all corners of the tank.

I'm also going to add some plants(ones that have not been exposed to pesticides, etc) so they have more of the tropic feel. Now that I have a decent humidifier and heat source, the plants should thrive! If they don't eat them, that is!

Thank you all for the wonderful advice! Everyone is thriving and doing well.
If you found someone molting - did you isolate him? The others will find him appetizing if you don't. You can place him in a kritter keeper inside of your tank, or in a tupperware container with plenty of air holes (good air holes), so that he has the same heat. Put moss in there with his exo. Do not re-bury him. He will die. Good luck
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com