Do Hermit Crabs Actually Sleep?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
CrabbyCuteness

Do Hermit Crabs Actually Sleep?

Post by CrabbyCuteness » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:06 am

I've seen on HCA a couple of different posts referring to hermit crabs sleeping, or lack thereof. Do they really sleep? I'm not sure how to tell.
*this is an alternate account for CrabsterBecks; I have somehow scrambled all my passwords or logins :D*
Incredibly blessed to have six healthy crabbies; 4 PP's and 2 E's. Love every minute of their cute lil' antics!

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Do Hermit Crabs Actually Sleep?

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:51 pm

All animals sleep, but if your meaning similar to human with REM cycles and whatnot. No I dont believe so.

I'll see if I can find a post explaining sleep... I remember seeing one on here..

(Well there's a few explaining sleeping positions or the time of the day they sleep... @wodesorel ~ she will probably know!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

PinchersAndShells

Post by PinchersAndShells » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:39 am

I don't quite remember where I got the information from - but I was told that one of their sleeping positions is when they sit there holding their shell over their eyes and have their legs half sticking out. Found a picture....

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
4 PPs + 1 E = Dusty, Momo, Seasalt, & Elvis
Captive Bred PP = Randy
75 Gallon Crabitat | Crabbing Since 8.11.2015
https://www.instagram.com/pinchersandshells/

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:41 am

PinchersAndShells wrote:I don't quite remember where I got the information from - but I was told that one of their sleeping positions is when they sit there holding their shell over their eyes and have their legs half sticking out. Found a picture....

Cool! That makes sense.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

CrabHappens

Post by CrabHappens » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:10 pm

This might answer some questions? https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2004/07 ... -catch-nap

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Topic author
CrabbyCuteness

Post by CrabbyCuteness » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 am

Perfect! Thank you; now that I see your picture, I realize my crabs do that quite a bit. They'll prop themselves somewhere warm and chill for an hour or two.
*this is an alternate account for CrabsterBecks; I have somehow scrambled all my passwords or logins :D*
Incredibly blessed to have six healthy crabbies; 4 PP's and 2 E's. Love every minute of their cute lil' antics!

k8.chrysanthemum

Post by k8.chrysanthemum » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:34 pm

PinchersAndShells wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:39 am
I don't quite remember where I got the information from - but I was told that one of their sleeping positions is when they sit there holding their shell over their eyes and have their legs half sticking out. Found a picture....

sorry i’m high jacking a question burt my hermit crab was out of his shell all yesterday (i posted about it in emergency) and when i managed to get him back into one he’s been in this position since, he was super pale yesterday and now he’s back to his vibrant self. do you think he’s just sleeping and destressing?
14 hens 1 rooster, 3 cats, 2 hermit crabs PP’s, and a dog😌❤️

i definitely get along with animals more than people

HermitCrabCHICA

Post by HermitCrabCHICA » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:53 am

maybe.....?
RIP My precious Bubbles and Kelpcake. :(