New tank

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Amlesa

New tank

Post by Amlesa » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:12 pm

Got my 20 gallon long sit up and and moved everyone over except my baby who still buried in the 10 gallon. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Re: New tank

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:36 pm

Really nice! Are those stones under the pools?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Amlesa

Post by Amlesa » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:46 pm

Yes, trying to prevent them from digging around or under the pools

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:31 pm

Looks really nice! I have that same rock formation...although I had to take mine out temporarily because they dug so much under it was sinking lol. I really like the rocks around the pools....
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Very nice! :)

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:15 pm

That's interesting I actually find my crabbie getting stuck more digging under stuff ... I never knew this was a problem ... should I be doing something diff... to try to help him or

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Amlesa

Post by Amlesa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:22 am

I’m not sure if it’s a big deal or not. My pools are larger and heavy. And was worried my little ones would dig under them. Figured if I use rock it might stop that. I’m worried they will get crushed if decided to molt under there. I’m a newbie at this so just testing it out.

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:25 am

A lot of people double up their water bowls so they can leave one and remove the other when they change the water.

♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:16 am

By using stones/gravel, it takes away from molting space. And they may try to dig under anyway. Better to double up.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Amlesa

Post by Amlesa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:31 am

I do also have my pools doubled up theirs only about a .25 inch space that I filled with rocks on thee sides. Don’t think my littlest crabs could fit in between their but didn’t want to encourage it with sand. It’s just a test run. See how it works.

Topic author
Amlesa

Post by Amlesa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:39 am

Image top view.

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:50 am

What does doubling up have to do with them digging under ? They can still dig under the doubled one no????

Topic author
Amlesa

Post by Amlesa » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:09 am

Hermie escape artist wrote:What does doubling up have to do with them digging under ? They can still dig under the doubled one no????

That’s what I figured to, so that’s why I put the rocks under to. I guess it’s a learning curve.

ha_haley

Post by ha_haley » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:10 am

Hermie escape artist wrote:What does doubling up have to do with them digging under ? They can still dig under the doubled one no????

When you double up, you only have to lift the top dish up when doing water changes. The bottom one stays in place, so if a crab has made a tunnel/decided to molt under the water dishes, you don’t disturb them or risk collapsing tunnels.

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:18 am

K but my crab actually digs under for fun ! And he ends up trying to come up under the bowl or water container .....
I have to actually remove it to get him out ... he done this under his legs to and he looks stuck he'll be there clawing at it it seems trying to get out .... so if I would double up he would still be under it ... I haven't had problems with tunnels under or needing to move it but yes I get what your saying
ha_haley wrote:

When you double up, you only have to lift the top dish up when doing water changes. The bottom one stays in place, so if a crab has made a tunnel/decided to molt under the water dishes, you don’t disturb them or risk collapsing tunnels.