Fighting or mating?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Jaydick484

Fighting or mating?

Post by Jaydick484 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:01 pm

Hi!
My two crabs on the surface are like a soap opera. I have no clue if they are being aggressive and moody towards each other or just dramatic and mating. I keep finding one on top of the other, the bottom one on its back, but hiding. She never gets injured, that I see....and she always goes back to the other crab. When they first met, the new one to the tank (Didgeridoo) kept coming over to Creamsickle (he was there first). He stood up tall at the entrance to his cave and she kept coming and swiftly moving away, coming back and swiftly moving away..on and on. She got very brave, crept above his cave, and peeled in from the top. Eventually, she walked right up to him, and they looked at each other for what seemed like forever. Then, Creamsickle (the first one) grabbed the new one slowly and pulled her in. It looked like a horror movie. But she didn't leave, and she is fully intact. She keeps going back to him.
If they were being aggressive, wouldn't one be running away and hiding or wouldn't there be noises or limbs being snapped at etc? I don't get these two. Is this just dramatic crabs playing?

Topic author
Jaydick484

Re: Fighting or mating?

Post by Jaydick484 » Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:02 pm

Side note....they fall over a lot. Is that normal? Almost like narcolepsy or something.

Altaccforhermitsssss

Re: Fighting or mating?

Post by Altaccforhermitsssss » Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:14 pm

Yikes… this has never happened with my hermits, if you have a large enough tank and enough shells, its unlikely they are fighting but i am not sure, they could possibly be mating, ig you will know if their is 2000 baby zoea swimming in the water in a few weeks