Boring

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Jaydick484

Boring

Post by Jaydick484 » Mon Jul 29, 2024 8:31 pm

Hi!
Do you all change up your crab "toys" periodically to keep them playful and exercising? How often and would a toy rotation work?
The most I've got as far as exercise/play is a wall climber with seats. It seems to be entertaining to one of my crabs, but I'm not sure if it will eventually get boring with the same scenery over and over.

I<3mycrabbies

Re: Boring

Post by I<3mycrabbies » Mon Jul 29, 2024 11:59 pm

For me everyt time I do a big clean out I put some things I haven't used in a while. But I don't really have a rotation and my crabs are always all over the place and are always on everything / anything I put in their tank lol. For the longest time I would always put a coconut fiber mat as a climbing wall and that would always be their favorite place to sit lol

Topic author
Jaydick484

Post by Jaydick484 » Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:10 am

That sounds like a great idea with the mat. I just added led lights and they are very intrigued with the blue light night setting. Also, I popped a cholla stick in and they sat there all day instead of hiding. I guess it's trial and error with what's exciting to them.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 05, 2024 11:13 pm

Nope, I pretty much leave my tank as it is once it is set up, LOL.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

crabocado

Post by crabocado » Sat Aug 17, 2024 10:51 pm

I've been too lazy to give my crab toys, but during her walks around the house these are the things she seems to enjoy:
-pulling pieces off of my earbuds
-the wall plug of the Xmas lights (not sure what the interest is about, but no damage so far)
-electrical cords that have a "chewy" texture (I don't let her linger for long)
-climbing the magazine basket
-climbing into the dog food dish
-munching on dried leaves under the houseplants
-poking at my dirty clothes piled on the floor
-climbing on a couch (fabric-covered)
-lingering in dusty cobwebby corners