One Strawberry Needs a another???

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author

One Strawberry Needs a another???

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:26 am

I just got our first Strawberry crab over a week ago, he is the only one in my 55g. My qustion is should I get him another Strawberry so he will have a companion? I thought I had read about this somewhere but I could not find it. Thanks

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:32 am

Absolutely! He will be much happier. I'd get 1 or even 2 more so nobody is lonely :)

dbolack

Re: One Strawberry Needs a another???

Post by dbolack » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:44 pm

Bizybeejm wrote:I just got our first Strawberry crab over a week ago, he is the only one in my 55g. My qustion is should I get him another Strawberry so he will have a companion? I thought I had read about this somewhere but I could not find it. Thanks
The larger the colony the happier the crabs. Our straws noticeably perked up once we hit 4.

They also seemed to like having Es around, assuming you take activity level to be a sign of a happy crab.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:35 pm

My straws definately hang out together....usually in pairs. Yep, I would get her a friend or two for sure! :)

Topic author

Looks like we're going back for another!

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:49 pm

My daughter and I spent the afternoon cleaning our crabitat, and everyone is really active and checking things out. I put some honey in and the new Strawberry "Big Daddy" is loving it! Looks like will go out and get a"Big Mama" tomorrow! :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:21 pm

Straws really like friends to hang around it and thrash the tank with. Make sure you buy a bunch of friends, especially if they're th eonly crabs in the tank.

Hermie Lover

Post by Hermie Lover » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:15 pm

Yep, Straws will hang out together. I have 5 in my 40B and their always together. Usually piled up on top of each other in the moss pits. Or, on the very top of the tree or waterfall.

Get a couple of friends for your Straw :) And I do agree they like being around E's. My E's will nap w/ them in the moss pits :)
Angela

Crabitats: 55L, 40B, 29L

Crabbin' since 97!
They are draining my savings!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:41 pm

I would definitely get him a friend, my strawberry always hung out by himself in my 60g away from all the other PPs :( , and so I'm going out to get friends tonight!!! :D

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:12 pm

crazy4danes wrote:I would definitely get him a friend, my strawberry always hung out by himself in my 60g away from all the other PPs :( , and so I'm going out to get friends tonight!!! :D
Make sure to post pics :)

:worthless:

Haven't seen that smilie in a long time :D.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:48 pm

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:49 pm

She is beautiful! :D

Topic author

Strawberry Buddies

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:42 pm

I had two strawberries and when I made up the 29 gallon tank for them I added a third. I now have an odd number andthe two larger crabs hang out together. Shoud I get a fourth? Will that be too many for the size tank they are in? I don't want Spitfire to be lonely just because Fireball and Firecracker have decided to snub him. Please tell me what you all think. Thanks. :sign2:

Topic author

Strawberry Buddies

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:42 pm

I had two strawberries and when I made up the 29 gallon tank for them I added a third. I now have an odd number andthe two larger crabs hang out together. Shoud I get a fourth? Will that be too many for the size tank they are in? I don't want Spitfire to be lonely just because Fireball and Firecracker have decided to snub him. Please tell me what you all think. Thanks. :sign2:

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:23 pm

I have 4 in my 20L. Maybe you can get a smaller one.