A month without a shell - pics of molt deformity

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

A month without a shell - pics of molt deformity

Post by JediMasterThrash » Sat May 19, 2007 3:32 pm

I've had quite the fighter for a couple of months. I first noticed something weird when there were constantly empty shells lying around the tank. They weren't where they would have fallen from their wicker shell basket, so I had to assume someone abandoned them. I always looked around for a dead crab, but never found one.

I eventually found the culprit. A small E that had a molt deformity. The last segment of his rear right leg is upturned funny, and doesn't appear to be functional. And the back right side of his carapace is folded up weird. I've circled the two spots in the picture.

Because of his deformed back carapace, the shells probably don't feel very comfortable on him. So that's why he was constantly dumping his current shell and trying out another one.

Well, then one day I find him in the water bowl, without a shell, and figure he's passed. So I pick him up, and nope! He springs to life and flails around. I originally kept giving him new shells to try, but he never lasted in them.

Eventually he just dumped wearing shells altogether, and has been living naked in my tank ever since (about a month now). And he's still very active. Not a sign of lethargy or sickness. So hopefully he should come out of his next molt OK. He spends a lot of time dunking his butt into the water though, as would be expected.

I know there's some poeple who collect pictures of molt deformities for research, so I thought they'd be interested. And I thought it was also good to show proof that crabs can survive without shells for long periods of time. Crabs don't necessarily die because they left their shell. Crabs usually are sick anyway first, and then leave their shells because of their sickness.
Last edited by JediMasterThrash on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

Post by Guest » Sat May 19, 2007 3:40 pm

:shock: very weird....how is it that the other crabs don't pick on him, I wonder? So, in order to correct the deformity, he would have to molt, but will LHC molt naked :? ? I guess he'd almost have to. Keep us posted, please.

hulk

Post by hulk » Sat May 19, 2007 5:40 pm

wow! I am so glad to hear he is living and well~considering =) It is amazing! thanks for sharing this..I am so glad you did ;) I always panicked, but now I have more hope with naked crabs..actually it only happened to me once in a shell fight.
Paige

Tremors

Post by Tremors » Sat May 19, 2007 8:06 pm

Wow, I didn't know crabs could live for a long time without a shell, so that's very interesting. :) Thanks for posting!
4 PPs: Petra (11 years), Big Crab (7 years), Rambunctious Crab (7 years), John Smith (1 year)
3 Es: Pacman, Captain Janeway, Googely-Bear (2 years)

Post by Guest » Sat May 19, 2007 8:26 pm

oh yea... weird... lol thank you for sharing. it's very interesting.

Post by Guest » Sat May 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Wonder if he'll do a surface molt???

Post by Guest » Sat May 19, 2007 9:05 pm

Wow! He is a fighter! I'm amazed he has gone that long without a shell...

Topic author
JediMasterThrash
Jedi Tech Support
Jedi Tech Support

Post by JediMasterThrash » Sat May 19, 2007 9:29 pm

I got another pic that shows the backside of the carapace:

Last edited by JediMasterThrash on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMT.

Stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking crab-herder since '92.

DustAndEchoes

Post by DustAndEchoes » Sat May 19, 2007 10:24 pm

poor baby...definatly keep us posted on his progress!

Post by Guest » Sat May 19, 2007 11:28 pm

HHmmm. I wonder-since he has been acting normal and has no "I'm food" smell that's why he has been doing so well?? I've had some go shell-less for a few days post-molt and were ISO'd, as they seemed uncomfortable with a shell. Re-shelled later at their convenience and were ok.

have to look over an E that keeps dumping shells...thanks!

Post by Guest » Sun May 20, 2007 9:52 am

How long he been outta shell? wow....

hulk

Post by hulk » Sun May 20, 2007 10:10 am

keep us updated this is so cool! I think it is great he is doing so well!
Paige

EGcrabber

Post by EGcrabber » Sun May 20, 2007 5:35 pm

I never new this could happen! Always assumed a naked crab would die before long. It's a pleasent surprise though, hope he makes it.
One medium PP: Gizmo

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

Post by Guest » Sun May 20, 2007 6:58 pm

You might have to remove him from any other crabs and keep him isolated. It might have been caused by a bacterial or fungal infection that affects the exoskeleton. These infections might be contagious.

The presence of toxins can also cause molt deformities.

HERMEZ

Post by HERMEZ » Sun May 20, 2007 8:00 pm

Wow what a trooper :shock:
CrAbBy aNd PrOuD
crabbin since 2005.