I was so scared!!!

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author

I was so scared!!!

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:46 pm

So at like 4 a.m. there was a lot of noise coming from my crabitat so I got up to look and found my 1st, most favorite crab "Hermi" shell-less..... The weird thing was that I could not find her shell anywhere. I scooped her up in my hand (She is extremely friendly and dipped her in the saltwater pool to wash all the sand off of her abdomen) - I picked up a random shell that I new she could fit in and soon enough she was wearing it while she fit herself into it in my hand.... I proceeded to watch her for like 15 min longer just to make sure she was ok & she decided to switch into a jade turbo.... :o I did end up finding her shell and it was buried under another crab (But that crab showed no interest in it so I dunno what really happened)..... The weird thing is when I found Hermi's shell again I put it right in front of her figuring she would switch right into it. She didnt want to have anything to do with it. The weird part was that this is the crab that I have talked about a lot in this forum about wearing a shell that she would never switch out of and you could not find it anywhere :idea: They are such weird little creatures.... But she is doing good and didnt get hurt in the process!!! [smilie=blush.gif]

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:56 pm

Yay, Hermi on finally changing! ~*wags finger*~ But don't scare your mommy like that! lol

Congrats on the quick thinking. :)

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:42 pm

She just wanted to give you a fright! It was just a plan, relax. :lol:
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:05 pm

I'm glad it was a happy shell swap :)
Just out of curiosity; did you figure out what she was doing that made all the noise?
Last night I heard a strange creaking creaking scratch noise and found Zatoichi upside down walking across the screen top. My heart nearly stopped when he dropped! He seems OK though. But wouldn't it have been funny if all that dropped was his shell? (Of course only funny if he was able to get his shell right back on...)

I did change the access point so he won't (hopefully) do it again

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Braveshell wrote:...Last night I heard a strange creaking creaking scratch noise and found Zatoichi upside down walking across the screen top. My heart nearly stopped when he dropped! He seems OK though. But wouldn't it have been funny if all that dropped was his shell? (Of course only funny if he was able to get his shell right back on...)

I did change the access point so he won't (hopefully) do it again
As hard as this will be to do, I wouldn't worry about it that much. 3 of my E's walk along the lid (and fall from it) every single day. ~*shrugs*~ I've learned to stop freaking out about it. They just plop into the sand and start all over again.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:45 am

Thanks,
It is hard not to worry :)

Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:11 pm

Yea... my E's used to climb all over my lid. They can't anymore because I got a glass lid and it don't have enough little grippy spots for them. Mine would fall off and get back on. It's perfectly normal. And... good exercise! :lol:
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Topic author

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:47 pm

So shortly after I re-shelled Hermie he dug down and hasn't come back up yet... Now a different hermie is wearing his previously worn shell. I hope I don't have a problem when hermie comes back up. :?

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:30 am

So if he was underground when he unshelled, he probably got stuck underground and had to abandon his shell to dig back up. It's happened before, no big deal.

If Hermie didn't take his old shell when he was aboveground, he most likely didn't want it.

Topic author

Terrible Update

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:57 pm

I saw Hermie shell thru the glass and he hasn't moved since he dug gown when he came up shell-less that last incident.... I feared the worst and dug him up. He had passed. I really wasn't expecting this he seemed fine after I re-shelled him. Can anyone tell me what they think happened? I feel absolutely horrible... He was my most special hermit crab. He started my whole hermit crab phase when I found him walking up my porch 1 morning. He was still in his shell when I dug him up: 2 legs fell off, it looked like he had some white mold on him and his abdomen was black and slimy looking. I am so sad, I really thought he would be with me for a long time.... [smilie=cry.gif]

Ellinj0206

Post by Ellinj0206 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:18 pm

Jennifer,

I'm so sorry to have ready the final outcome of the story. Perhaps someone tried to take his shell and really stressed him out. It happens, unfotunately :-(

I'm sorry.

:-(
El
Check out El's Shells: http://www.elsshells.com for all of your hermit crab food and shell needs!All-natural, certified organic food and an outstanding selection of shells and crabitat necessities---all at great prices!!