Daria Lost A Leg

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Tetracolor

Daria Lost A Leg

Post by Tetracolor » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:17 pm

Well, I'm sure you all heard about my massive PP purchase a couple days ago, but I'm concerned about one of them, Daria. She didn't move the whole way home and the first night she lost a leg and didn't move at all. :( I figured she was just stressed, but today she still hasn't moved. I know she's alive because she did move an itty bit, but I'm concerned still. Should I place a hidey over her with some honey or leave her be? As of now she's just sitting in the smack middle of that 'tat. :cry:
Crabbing for 6 years now.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:28 pm

I'd personally put a hidey over her with a small dish of honey and cuttlebone. My fingers are crossed for you and Daria.

EGcrabber

Post by EGcrabber » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:51 pm

It could just be PPS, but it would help if you could fill out the template. There could be something stressing him.

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

8. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

9. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

10. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

11. How often do you clean the tank and how?

12. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

13. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

14. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
One medium PP: Gizmo

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

Topic author
Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:38 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Eco-Earth... around 3 or 4 inches
2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Temp- 70-78 Humidity 80-90

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
UTH
4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
both. i mix according to the box. i dont dechlor my water.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
frsh fruits, some of narnars stuff, addiction store items
6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
PP, three or maybe it is two days
7. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
20L, standard fish aquarium hood
8. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
7 they range from teeny-small
9. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
quite a lot
10. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

no
11. How often do you clean the tank and how?
i havent cleaned the 'tat since I got him so i see no reason to say, but i clean every six months and i just dump the sand out and replace
12. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no sponges
13. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
well... he was added and sine then no
14. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
no.
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Topic author
Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:19 am

To late now. :( Daria passed away early in the night, last night. I went up to check on her and she was half-way out of her shell all curled up, but yet buried by her shell. :| And I lost the receipt so I don't know if Petsmart will take her back. I've got one from a purchase of some other crabs from 1/13, but I don't think they'll accept that. What should I do???
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:30 am

I would take her back with the purchase from 1/13. Most Petcos offer a fifteen day guarantee, and that day falls within the time period. I doubt that they will know which crab they sold which day. To them, they are just a shell and a price.

I am very sorry you lost her. :(

Topic author
Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:40 pm

Do you think they would just take her shell back? I've already thrown her out and I don't want to go digging for her. :roll:
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Kilimanjaro

Post by Kilimanjaro » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:18 pm

Hmm...not sure. If they trust you, they might, but they might think that she changed shells and you are just looking for a free hermit.

Topic author
Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:21 pm

Yah, my thoughts exactly. :) Mom won't let me dig in the trash for a hermit crab so I guess I wasted $5 dollars on a futile pity puirchase. :(
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:09 am

Aw I'm so sorry for your loss...may Daria RIP. <3

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:55 pm

Poor thing, I had one like that. She came out the first couple days, then I threw away the receip because I thought she was fine, then she stopped doing anything for days... and was still in her shell tight. Oh well. Let our crabs RIP!

Topic author
Tetracolor

Post by Tetracolor » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:11 pm

I really miss her. I thoguht I might hvae been able to save her. I was wrong, though. :(
15 PPs, 1 Beardie

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:06 am

Awww ... I'm sorry Tetracolor .... I feel for you, having lost my Big Guy just last week. He was a PPS-er too. [smilie=comfort.gif]

A question to HCA members .... what do you do when one of your babies pass ? Do you just throw them away with the trash or ..... ?

When my Big Guy passed. I actually wrapped him in tissue, put him into a little empty matchbox and buried him in the garden. Is this normal/sane behaviour ? My friends think I'm nuts. [smilie=dunno.gif]

You know, we should start a new thread/section for HUMAN behavior too. And talk about the things we do just for our babies. Stocking up on food that will last 10 years and probably throwing them out after 3 months or less, paying for an overpriced shell that is just soooo "perfect", spending HOURS shopping and on DIY projects to build 2nd levels, making the 'tat as homey as possible ..... the list just goes on !

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:19 pm

All my losses have been put into baggies and buried outside. I live in an apartment building so I didn't want a chance of a dog or something smelling my babies and digging them up.

And I know about the food thing, but I have been good lately, not buying too much.

Christa

Post by Christa » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:26 pm

I'm sorry she died, and so soon after her rescue so she never got a chance to experience an ideal crabitat. :( If it's any consolation, I've often bought hermies that had little to no chance of life, just to give them a comfortable death. Some would say it's a waste of money but I disagree...

[smilie=hug.gif]

hc!
Christa
~~ The HCA ~~ the original and still the best -- ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS
Ting-Tang (Walla walla bing bang!)
Crabbing since 1974
http://www.hermit-crabs.com