Chirping

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Azreal19

Chirping

Post by Azreal19 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:33 pm

I've seen a a bit where people talk baout their chirping crabs and it being a sign of agressiveness.

I've had mine for over a year now and just recent;y started hearing them chirping. They have never been agressive and always seem to be friendly to eachother. Sometimes I will see or hear them chirping when not aorund others or others are around. So do they only chirp when agressive, or do they chirp for other reasons. (as far as your experience goes)

beccaviolett

Re: Chirping

Post by beccaviolett » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:34 pm

mine chirp for the heck of it. some days its cute, some days incredibly annoying.
14 PP's; Shortcake, MacBeth, Itsy, Spazz, and 9 unamed babies!
7 Es; berry, sandy, lauderdale & cream
RIP; Joules De Lorian, Chum Lee, Santa, 2 unnamed Es
1 Kitty; Lynx
2 Rats; Mocha and Vanilla

sontron

Post by sontron » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

I heard two of my crabs chirping when i was bringing them home from the pet store, so I think they were just mad or scared. Es are known to chirp when they are just the slightest bit irritated, while I never even heard of a PP chirping. It all depends, really, but I do know that they chirp more than when they are being aggresive.
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus

Lasuna

Post by Lasuna » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Mine chirp for the fun of it as well. Or when the cats are into their cage. Becca's right, some times its cute, other times its really annoying. I think the bigger they are the more annoying the sound.
Six Crabs: Purple Pinchers: Horus(one molt), Anubis(one molt), Set(molting?). Ecuadorians: Geb(one molt) Sekhmet(Two Molts), Shu (molting?)
Two Asthmatic Cats: Ena, Una

GudaHermitCrab

Post by GudaHermitCrab » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:46 am

Sometimes they just think, "YOLO" and chirp for the heck of it :D Once my one of my PPs was in his hut (no other crabs were around him) and he was just randomly chirping. I figured I'd see some sort of fight going on but...nope. He was just chirping by himself. I figured since he had recently changed into a bigger shell, he may be stuck in the hut. Just to be sure I moved the hut and he was fine afterwards. Sometimes they chirp when they REALLY like something, I've found. Once I had just recently put in a new branch for them to climb on. Immediately the same PP climbed to the very top, and clung there for several hours. Well, when it came time for me to put in some food (I feed them fruits/veggies/meat every night at the sme time), I had to move the branch to put it in. I didn't want to freak him out by moving it while he was still on it, so I tried to pluck him off the branch. Well, he immediately started angrily chirping at me because I suppose he REALLY liked that branch! I decided I'd put the food bowl in a different place that time and let him come off on his own time :) :crabbigsmile:
Proud owner of 3 Purple Pinchers: Guda (2 molts), Kermit, Sebastian (1 molt)

~Crabby since September 2011~

Striker0086

Post by Striker0086 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

I heard my PP's chirping once. They were getting a bit aggressive over a shell the other was wearing. I opened the tank and yelled at them and separated them. No problem since! :D Gotta set the law. My E's have only chirped once and that was when I was trying to get Rico off of a vine to clean and he would not let go, I gave up.

polarpinup

Post by polarpinup » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:01 am

The first time I heard one of my crabs chirping, I immediately turned, expecting to find a shell fight - but it was Godiva, just enjoying her saltwater pool. Talking for the heck of it...
http://dfwhermits.blogspot.com - Adopted Hermits in Dallas!
PP family (Godiva, Sandow, Mitch, Colossus, Big Chief, Wild Man, etc); E family (Enrique, Blue Girl, Eduardo and Spider); Boxer (Clara); Chihuahua (Doo-Dad); Eastern Box Turtle (Solomon), and a Three-Toed Box Turtle (Pirogue)...

Craftycrabber

Post by Craftycrabber » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 pm

I have a large E named Captain Kirk. His buddy, Dr. Spock has been down for a molt for about 5 days now. Tonight, Captain Kirk started chirping for NO REASON that I could tell. I wonder if he misses his species buddy. They are the only two Es in a tank of 7...the other 5 being PPs.
Don't worry about the storms of life but rather learn to dance in the rain.

kuza

Post by kuza » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:44 pm

There's different kinds of chirping. The most common being the BACK OFF chirp. The second being the OK I'M READY TO SURFACE TEAM.

ceo1282

Post by ceo1282 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:45 am

I've never heard my pp's chirp but maybe I'm just not around to hear it. If a crab chirps in a tank & no one is there to hear it does it make a sound :lol: My e's chirp quite a bit...mainly when scared or annoyed :?
Yes, I own hermit crabs. Am I crazy? Yes, but not because I own hermit crabs :p
PP's:*Midge*Monkey*Jewel*Peanut*Shellie
*Kirby&*Mumble

E's:*Spot*Valory &*Squiggles
Ruggies:*Luna,*Scarlet, &*Mack

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:14 pm

I think I have Es that chirp for no apparent reason. The only time I hear PPs chirping is when someone is after them, or at least they see it that way. Sometimes I hear chirping, walk over to the tank and it stops. Usually there is an E around by itself when I've had that happen.
Owner of 4 PPs

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:39 pm

I think it was wodesorel that said something like, "An E will chirp if another crab even looks at them funny." It's so true. They are chirpers...
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish