Crab hanging out of shell alive.

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Adelia84

Crab hanging out of shell alive.

Post by Adelia84 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:00 pm

My PP Nemo moved into a shell way to big for him. He has other shells to choose from. He has been hanging out of his shell but when I go to see if he is OK he either sucks up into his shell or he crawls away. Like he hangs out far. His abdomen is not out but he lays his claws out in front of him. He is out really far. The temp and humidity are where they are suppose to be. He has salt and fresh water and I just saw him eating moss like an hour ago. He has a good 5 inches of play sand to dig in that is sand castle consistency. No commercial food.

sontron

Re: Crab hanging out of shell alive.

Post by sontron » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm

I've read a similar topic to this one, and the general agreement was that the crab was just hanging out. I doubt there is anything wrong with it. If it is responsive and can still move, than it may just be because that is how it is most comfortable in its new shell. Also, there could be something inside the shell that is bothering it.
3 PPs, pluto, hermes, and uranus
2 Es, Poseidon and Atlas
1 Emperor scorpion, Erebus

Topic author
Adelia84

Post by Adelia84 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:13 pm

OK thanks, he really is spunky and can really move around fast.

Nnnnnnnn

Post by Nnnnnnnn » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:46 pm

He is probably cleaning waste/sand out of his shell.