*PIC HEAVY* Should I give these two certain foods?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Adastra1018

*PIC HEAVY* Should I give these two certain foods?

Post by Adastra1018 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:37 pm

I got two rescues today. The one is missing the tips of three legs but is real active and I'm not too worried about him.

The other I'm no longer worried about now that I have him home, but he's missing the whole first segment each of two legs.

So here's my question. I have them in the main tank. The one with the whole segments missing gets around ok but he is very stressed and after exploring the tank, has been tucked in his shell (which is way too small, I'll relax even more once he changes). Is there any special high energy or protein food like honey or peanut butter he should have? Or will the typical varied diet and cuttle bones work? I've been mostly giving them a variety of fruit with carrots, salmon bites, almonds and walnuts, and the occasional popcorn when I make a plain batch. I offer seaweed but they don't seem to like it.

Your advice is much appreciated!

KayedeeLove<3

Re: *PIC HEAVY* Should I give these two certain foods?

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:42 pm

I give my crabs the best diet i can by giving a mix of fresh food and i buy from hermies kitchen! Hermies kitchen provides the stuff i refuse to touch lol! Also, they need elements from the sea that hermies kitchen supplies! Great variety! Honey is the miracle of hermits in my opinion! But it can't be the processed stuff.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:30 am

Egg shells with some raw egg left in it, raw honey, bee pollen, fresh coconut, and organic peanut butter are all excellent "healing foods. " A good leaf litter is good to have too, or some sort of bark as hermit crabs love to climb trees.... or aquarium corners like mrs. Robinson. But honestly as long as it's a varied diet with proteins, variety you should be good.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:41 am

@Rawrgeous- Where do you buy your honey and pb? If in the grocery store how do you know if it's safe or not? My crabs go through so much honey it's ridiculous! Its also 5$ every 2 ounces at HK.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:52 am

Walmart. It's Unfiltered honey. As long as it's Unfiltered it has been unprocessed. I can't remember how much I spent but I believe it was around 6 dollars. My peanut butter is labeled organic and was around the same price, but it has literally lasted since November's and its barely dented, just make sure there isn't added salt, there might be some natural, but minimize, and that there isn't any added preservatives. Its pricy at first for just a few items but considering how long both will last, it's well worth the money.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Jedi Sena

Post by Jedi Sena » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:53 am

Don't give up on the seaweed. Sprinkle it on something they can't resist like honey, apple, walnut, or popcorn.
__ ` , ` , ` , ` , jedi sena
(__)_ ` , ` , ` , ` crabby since 2007
(____)_ ` , ` , ` , ` http://crabotanicals.etsy.com
(______) ` , ` , ` , ` owner of Crabotanicals all-natural hermit crab food
...//( 00 )\.........................................................................

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:02 pm

Thank you so much! I buy sooo much honey, the other day my littlest was staring out the glass sitting in his big empty honey dish (scallop shell)! I felt so bad but a new batch came in soon after. They love peanuts but i haven't tried actual peanut butter. Im pretty excited now!

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:06 pm

I agree with jedi! Dont give up! They need it in their diet even if they don't know it's in their diet! Also, when i first got mine, none of them would touch strawberries at ALL. One day i said to heck with it and threw a couple tops in anf one decided he liked it so the rest followed suit. They may gorge on something one time and never touch it again! Crabs are weird

Topic author
Adastra1018

Post by Adastra1018 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:24 pm

I've been wanting to get them some organic honey and peanut butter for a while now, I just keep forgetting to make a trip for it. I keep putting seaweed in, usually with the nuts so they have at least something they'll eat. Hopefully the new guys will eat it at least. I told my husband a few days ago I'm just going to toss it in a smoothie! I have noticed they don't always like new foods at first. Bananas seem to be hit or miss with them. I have a lot of woods nearby which is a great source of safe browse, as it's all wild and untreated. I'll have to go foraging soon. The coconut I have already and I'll definitely try the egg shells. Thanks everyone! You have all been a huge help!

Topic author
Adastra1018

Post by Adastra1018 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:50 pm

I just saw that the one with the two segments missing dropped one of those legs. He's been in the same spot all day and hasn't moved. I'm guessing he'll drop the other and grow two brand new legs.

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:41 am

Honestly, when I first got my crabs I feel like they didn't each much either. It took a while before they really started being out and about and eating amounts that I noticed they were really eating. Maybe sprinkle the sprinkle with some crushed unseasoned popcorn? Popcorn is one thing my guys go absolutely crazy for. :) But as long as you offer, eventually they will come around. I'm sure the process of dropping legs to regrow new ones, especially if it's been a long time since their last molt is extremely hard on their bodies. Also. Shoutout to Jedi Sena's shop Crabotanicals- if you have the chance to order from her you won't be dissapointed! :) Her food info on her site has definitely helped me a lot.
Edit: I just noticed I literally just said what she said about the popcorn without realizing it- oops. I must be tired. :oops:

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:15 am

I wanted to add that the honey needs to state on the packaging that it is: Raw, Unpasteurized (not heat treated), Unfiltered, etc. Try to buy local honey as much as possible. I live in TX and can find local untreated honey at Wal*Mart.

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:21 am

@soilentgringa like the guys selling honey on the side of the road?

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:37 am

OMG i just saw crabatonicals for the first time! Gonna start building my order! Get alot more for the price AND you can tell she put a lot of time into each description which is important to me!
Thanks @rawrgeous i must try her out!

JulesRolyCrab

Post by JulesRolyCrab » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:16 am

@soilentgringa like the guys selling honey on the side of the road?
Tbh that sounds pretty shady... :lol: