One year in

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
jasonmom

One year in

Post by jasonmom » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:23 am

Not really sure where to post an update :anon: , but this was my best bet. It was last year about this we got our hermies. Got 15pp (way too many) from a beach shop at Myrtle Beach. By reading the info here and other places I expected about a third of my guys to pass from PPS, but I don't think I've lost any (and I'm a year out :cake: ). Never had a bad odor nor found any pieces. I've never even had one drop legs. I've been so lucky. I did look at hermit crabs in probably 20+ stores at the beach before going back to the one that appeared to have the best conditions for their hermits (was actually about 4 inches of damp EE/sand mix).

Counted 11 the other day; and I know some had to be underground. It's funny, some of them seem to go under together. It's like the biggest ones go under together and the smallest ones go down together. I know that the three smallest in green turbo's have been up and under together the last three times.

Most all are in Turbo shells at this point. Only ones who may not be is Brutus and Snowball. Don't know if they are under right now or if they have changed shells. Snowball was definitely in need of a shell change last time I saw him about a month ago, but I can't find his shell anywhere.

I know some may think it's terrible I can't tell my hermies apart (only their shells), but we are pretty hands off with them. I've held a few of them a few times for a few minutes. My son got pinched by one at the beach so he don't want to hold any of them. I do enjoy seeing how different they all look. Some are very deeply colored while others are pale. Got one that looks almost baby pink.

Biggest problem I still have is trying to keep humidity up. I spray twice a day / got plenty of moss / and lid is plexi-glass with cutout for heatlamp.

Just wanted to come on and say thanks to all those who gave me advise as I started. Can't believe they all made it past PPS time and still seam to be thriving.

Thanks everybody

:party:

KayedeeLove<3

Re: One year in

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:19 pm

Yay :)

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:41 pm

Sounds like you've been doing everything right and the crabs have shown their appreciation by happily molting, changing shells, etc, so a BIG congrats to you and the crabbie clan :wav: .

Re the humidity issue: do you have bubblers in the pools? Adding them really boosts the humidity and the crabs certainly enjoy both the moving water and the mini-spa effect of the bubbles.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:44 pm

I've taken in over 50 in the past two years and can only tell who my oldest (in my care) are. The ones that we will be keeping permanently and not finding forever homes for.

It's okay. They molt and change shells and come back up different sizes and even colors so it's safe to say that not every single crabber always remembers who is who in the tat after a while.

Congrats on one year! :cheer:

Topic author
jasonmom

Post by jasonmom » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:19 pm

Crabinski wrote:Sounds like you've been doing everything right and the crabs have shown their appreciation by happily molting, changing shells, etc, so a BIG congrats to you and the crabbie clan :wav: .

Re the humidity issue: do you have bubblers in the pools? Adding them really boosts the humidity and the crabs certainly enjoy both the moving water and the mini-spa effect of the bubbles.

Do you mean putting an air hose down into the water dish? If so, doesn't the pump noise bug you? Its been a few years since I had a fish tank in my living room, but I remember that I never got used to the sound of the air pump.

:hello2:

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:57 pm

jasonmom wrote:
Crabinski wrote:Sounds like you've been doing everything right and the crabs have shown their appreciation by happily molting, changing shells, etc, so a BIG congrats to you and the crabbie clan :wav: .

Do you mean putting an air hose down into the water dish? If so, doesn't the pump noise bug you? Its been a few years since I had a fish tank in my living room, but I remember that I never got used to the sound of the air pump.

I have a Tetra whisper pump for my tanks and I never hear it.

Sent from my LGLS665 using Tapatalk

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:42 am

soilentgringa wrote:
jasonmom wrote:

Is this just an air pump or a filter? Is it possible to do pools with a filter? If so it must be semi- permanent right? If so how would you go about cleaning?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:11 am

haha, its an air pump... :)

Some air pumps are meant to be silent... the "interpet nano air pump" is a suitable example, but there are loads similar/knock offs. Another is the "COLLAR 7915 Silent Aquarium Air Pump"... They a bit more expensive then the usual air pump (pump), but I sure these pumps pack a punch!

A competitor on youtube... Beware, centimeters and Russian/english mix
And another youtuber... one of the best fishkeepers out there.. click
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:45 pm

This is the little air pump I have for the two pools in the 29g. Unless you lean right over it, you won't hear a thing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture- ... p/44662572
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

PTCrabs

Post by PTCrabs » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:48 am

KayedeeLove<3 wrote:
soilentgringa wrote:
jasonmom wrote:

Is this just an air pump or a filter? Is it possible to do pools with a filter? If so it must be semi- permanent right? If so how would you go about cleaning?

I have a pump and I never hear it...it's right behind our couch...the pools I use are small Tupperware type dishes I got from the dollar store...I double them up so I can lift them to clean and the hole doesn't collapse. Makes it easy :-) ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
jasonmom

Post by jasonmom » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:39 am

Gonna have to try this. I see a stone on end of tube so that answered my next question.

Brutus and snowball are up right now..... so I know they still haven't changed shells.

Thanks Everyone

isadoraisacat

Post by isadoraisacat » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:11 pm

jasonmom wrote:Not really sure where to post an update :anon: , but this was my best bet. It was last year about this we got our hermies. Got 15pp (way too many) from a beach shop at Myrtle Beach. By reading the info here and other places I expected about a third of my guys to pass from PPS, but I don't think I've lost any (and I'm a year out :cake: ). Never had a bad odor nor found any pieces. I've never even had one drop legs. I've been so lucky. I did look at hermit crabs in probably 20+ stores at the beach before going back to the one that appeared to have the best conditions for their hermits (was actually about 4 inches of damp EE/sand mix).

Counted 11 the other day; and I know some had to be underground. It's funny, some of them seem to go under together. It's like the biggest ones go under together and the smallest ones go down together. I know that the three smallest in green turbo's have been up and under together the last three times.

Most all are in Turbo shells at this point. Only ones who may not be is Brutus and Snowball. Don't know if they are under right now or if they have changed shells. Snowball was definitely in need of a shell change last time I saw him about a month ago, but I can't find his shell anywhere.

I know some may think it's terrible I can't tell my hermies apart (only their shells), but we are pretty hands off with them. I've held a few of them a few times for a few minutes. My son got pinched by one at the beach so he don't want to hold any of them. I do enjoy seeing how different they all look. Some are very deeply colored while others are pale. Got one that looks almost baby pink.

Biggest problem I still have is trying to keep humidity up. I spray twice a day / got plenty of moss / and lid is plexi-glass with cutout for heatlamp.

Just wanted to come on and say thanks to all those who gave me advise as I started. Can't believe they all made it past PPS time and still seam to be thriving.

Thanks everybody

:party:

i feel like brutus is a common crab name i think ive seen that used many times.
I keep mine mostly classic tropical names. I always imagine when i open the lid
to hear steel drums playing hahah. Im glad your crabs are well and everyone is safe
and happy so far.