Lifespan

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
CrazyCrabGirlio

Lifespan

Post by CrazyCrabGirlio » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:47 pm

Hey there, so I have an important question, how long have your guys' crabs lived in captivity. I feel like I must be doing something wrong because this is my second go around and my hermit crabs are only living a few months. I'm frustrated because I've done so much research, spent so much time and money into taking care of them. I want to know what I am doing wrong. It's very sad for me when I find yet another dead hermit crab. :( Ihave the humidity right and the temp, all the climbing and crawling spaces, tons of sand and substrate, I switch the waters every single day, I change the food every couple, what on earth am I doing wrong??? :'(
~Maeve

Crabinski

Re: Lifespan

Post by Crabinski » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:44 am

I've had one of my original crabs for 8+ years, another for 4+ years and the other two for just about 2 years. The first two were from pet shops and the last two were craigslist rescues.

Sometimes it's just the crabs themselves: they've been through so much trauma (snatched from the wild, forced out of their shells and into painted ones, shipped in poor conditions and then introduced to barely acceptable conditions in pet stores) that they've used up all of their strength by the time they're adopted. Even with ideal conditions in a home crabitat, they just can't rally.

Fill out this Emergency template so we can see if there's anything "off" in your set-up: viewtopic.php?t=46102
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
CrazyCrabGirlio

Post by CrazyCrabGirlio » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:33 pm

Awesome awesome thanks, I will. Thanks for the quick reply

Actually the link won't open, please help
~Maeve

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:52 am

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=46102
This link should work. :) It probably got cut off somehow.

robinwhiskers

Post by robinwhiskers » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:29 am

I'm not a longtime crabber, so I can't give an answer. I've only had Brigadier and Lola for 13 months and Harley for 6 months.
Rest in peace, Brigadier (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Lola (9/21/15) (adopted on 9/21/15)
Rest in peace, Harley (adopted on 4/29/16)
Rest in peace, Acuff (adopted in 5/20)

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:36 pm

My friend has a crab that is still alive after 25 years. The longest I have had a crab was 5 years, but he was about 14 when he died. He was a rescue.
You've got it all wrong....we are the pets, not them!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:13 am

Jackolope wrote:My friend has a crab that is still alive after 25 years. The longest I have had a crab was 5 years, but he was about 14 when he died. He was a rescue.
May I ask what size tank the 25 year crab was kept in?
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:54 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:
Jackolope wrote:My friend has a crab that is still alive after 25 years. The longest I have had a crab was 5 years, but he was about 14 when he died. He was a rescue.
May I ask what size tank the 25 year crab was kept in?
I don't know the exact size but it was pretty huge. She lives in Colorado. She also lets the crab walk around the house now and then for exercise and to explore. He's about the size of a softball as of last summer. I do not have a recent photo.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Are you talking about Carol Jackolope? (They around the high 30's now, approaching 40 soon... and I believe that they kept in a 20g tank.)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:01 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Are you talking about Carol Jackolope? (They around the high 30's now, approaching 40 soon... and I believe that they kept in a 20g tank.)
No, my friend is not on this site.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Eeeeeenteresting.
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:11 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Eeeeeenteresting.
I'm sure you probably think I am making this up but I promise I'm not.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Not at all - I was thinking a couple days ago that I'd noticed a sort of trend in reading about really old captive crabs (not that there are a ton to read about), and it seems like they often have really big enclosures, or have free-range privileges. That's all. :)

Jackolope

Post by Jackolope » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:59 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:Not at all - I was thinking a couple days ago that I'd noticed a sort of trend in reading about really old captive crabs (not that there are a ton to read about), and it seems like they often have really big enclosures, or have free-range privileges. That's all. :)
Well in my case it's the free range, but not all of the time. I haven't been on this blog in a while.

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:04 pm

You also let your crabs out?