Isopod Question

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
nwilk688

Isopod Question

Post by nwilk688 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi! I'm thinking about adding isopods to my tank, and I'd like to gather them from my backyard. However, I just remembered they did the aerial spraying for mosquitoes not too long ago, and before I go out isopod hunting, I was wondering if I could even use the ones from outside, or if the mosquito spraying would be a problem. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Isopod Question

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:20 pm

Hello! You would need to raise them in a separate tank, and then rear them for a couple of months so you aren't feeding any pesticides to your crabs. Or exposing any pesticides to your crabs. Hermits will eat the isopods if they can catch them. Isopods are very easy to take care of, and imo entertaining to watch. I personally prefer powdered blues! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
nwilk688

Post by nwilk688 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:00 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Hello! You would need to raise them in a separate tank, and then rear them for a couple of months so you aren't feeding any pesticides to your crabs. Or exposing any pesticides to your crabs. Hermits will eat the isopods if they can catch them. Isopods are very easy to take care of, and imo entertaining to watch. I personally prefer powdered blues! :)
I don't even remember posting this thread, but you answered the second question I was going to ask!! Is a 5 gallon tank okay for an isopod habitat?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:46 pm

nwilk688 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:Hello! You would need to raise them in a separate tank, and then rear them for a couple of months so you aren't feeding any pesticides to your crabs. Or exposing any pesticides to your crabs. Hermits will eat the isopods if they can catch them. Isopods are very easy to take care of, and imo entertaining to watch. I personally prefer powdered blues! :)
I don't even remember posting this thread, but you answered the second question I was going to ask!! Is a 5 gallon tank okay for an isopod habitat?
5 gallons is fine.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Teddscau

Post by Teddscau » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Not to try to hijack this thread, but how long do you have to raise them in captivity before they're considered pathogen-free? I caught some of those roly-poly guys well over a month ago, then I caught the guys who can't roll into balls a couple of weeks ago. I call them land lobsters and water pigs, respectively, to keep things simple.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Teddscau wrote:Not to try to hijack this thread, but how long do you have to raise them in captivity before they're considered pathogen-free? I caught some of those roly-poly guys well over a month ago, then I caught the guys who can't roll into balls a couple of weeks ago. I call them land lobsters and water pigs, respectively, to keep things simple.
I would recommend a couple of months at the very least. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:41 am

Ideally long enough so that you're using the babies or grandbabies of the ones that were originally caught. I have no idea how long it takes them to reproduce, mature, or die though!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Teddscau

Post by Teddscau » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:22 am

Hmm, so October then? A bunch of the isopods I caught were already pregnant, so I had a bunch of little babies pop up after less than a week. I'm actually thinking of maybe putting the babies in a different jar (I have them in a gigantic jar right now), let them mature a bit, then dump them in with the hermit crabs.

As for how long it takes before they reach sexual maturity, some species can take well over a year to become fertile. The average lifespan is 2 years, but some have been known to live as long as 5 years.

Anyways, thanks!