Tough Situation

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Jamison

Tough Situation

Post by Jamison » Sat May 09, 2020 10:01 am

Hello! A couple weeks ago, one of my crabs passed, leaving my other crab alone in the tank. I am going to try to adopt another crab or two as a friend for him, but if I can't find any to adopt, is it better to but from a store or keep him alone? I don't like buying, but will I need to? Thanks!
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Crabby7Crabber

Re: Tough Situation

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat May 09, 2020 6:49 pm

I think your hermit will be okay for the time being. Some people have been successful with one crab and have kept only one for a long time. But others like to keeps crabs in pairs at the least. I honestly hate supporting pet stores, but I haven't been able to adopt (ah, the guilt though!). If you want to buy from pet stores (if the adoption option fails), be aware that the crabs are probably not as healthy as you want. However, while it may be a challenge, I'm sure you could nurse them back to health! Hope this helps. I am not a hermit crab expert (but I am trying to learn from the pros!), so hopefully others with more knowledge can give their two-sense.
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

Topic author
Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sat May 09, 2020 8:31 pm

Thank you! The guilt of not adopting is awful. The crab I have now was from a store and I was able to keep him alive so if I do have to buy hopefully I can save the bought crabs.
2 purple pinchers
1 old dog

I will miss you Lloyd! Good luck up In Hermie Heaven!
You to Hagrid!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat May 09, 2020 8:37 pm

Jamison wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:31 pm
Thank you! The guilt of not adopting is awful. The crab I have now was from a store and I was able to keep him alive so if I do have to buy hopefully I can save the bought crabs.
I'm rooting for you! Keep us updated, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask! I'm sure many on here are more willing to help!
Edit: Including me! :D
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺