Tips on becoming a better crab owner?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Fangs19

Tips on becoming a better crab owner?

Post by Fangs19 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:16 am

As all of you know or at least some I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to owner crabs this is my first time owning two purple pinchers I've had them for about a few months
and I want to give them the best life they can have
I've looked through forms and looked through youtube videos to find out the best way I could care
Originally they started in those small plastic cages until I got them into another tank it was bigger than the plastic cage and had more room but still they didn't really have space to explore luckily a week ago I went out with a family member of mines to buy a 10 gal tank and they are currently in there until I'm able to upgrade again
I've made a few mistakes and they have worried me to the point where I start getting scared that I'm a bad owner
But with all of that aside
I would like beginner tips I'm not sure about exactly what though but anything will help

Happyshamrock73

Re: Tips on becoming a better crab owner?

Post by Happyshamrock73 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:04 am

I would start with Crab Central Station videos on Youtube. That is the easiest way to learn the best information. It will point you in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Fangs19

Post by Fangs19 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:21 am

There are one of the main channels I watch they're really helpful

hermitsinnc

Post by hermitsinnc » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:43 am

Hey Fangs19!
Some things I would tell new crabbie owners (and myself 4 months ago):
  • do give them a varied diet: foods you're eating or hermit crab foods from Etsy, whichever works best for you
  • do give them lots of shell options, especially turbos
  • don't stress over underground crabs, they'll come up when they're ready
  • don't stick your hands in places you can't see, easy way to get pinched
  • don't worry about giving them an amazing 100 gal setup like the 'pros' have, we all start somewhere
3 PPs: Maxwell (small), Mitchelle (medium/small), Kendall (medium/large)
also have 10gal freshwater fishtank w/ neon tetras, pygmy cories, and nerite snails

"I am here, I am loved, God is good, and that's enough." --Brandon Heath

Topic author
Fangs19

Post by Fangs19 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:45 am

Thanks!

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:49 pm

Here's some advice I'd give:
I have learned that you don't need to obsess over them every day (not saying you or anybody is doing that, just hear me out): my crabs are in my attic with a room to themselves and I only go up and check on them every 2-3 days, unless there are other things I need to do up there/ a reason to be up there more often (like a crab in ISO, etc.)Truthfully, it probably would be helpful to check on them more often, but mine have not shown any negative symptoms regarding this choice. And they're fine. They love the peace and quiet that it brings, and I have a Wyze cam to watch them when I need to (although it's been shut down for a few months. It kept falling- I need to find a better place to put it.) If they were closer to me (same floor; somewhere I'd see them everyday) that would be a MUCH different story.
Also, try and make (IF POSSIBLE) the habitat at realistic as you can. Everybody has different opinions on what to do and what tanks should look like, but I try and offer options that are realistic to what a natural habitat may show. Ex: scattered leaves/bark/climbing opportunities, and seasonally-rotating food options (when available). This may be something you don't want to do or cannot do, and that's okay. It's just something that I do- you definitely don't need to do it, but I think they greatly benefit from it!
I'm definitely not as experienced as everybody here, seeing as I got my crabs in June of 2020, but I do sell their food and have assisted others with crab care before- so if you have any questions at all, I may be able to help. :)
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

Topic author
Fangs19

Post by Fangs19 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:26 pm

Okay thank you!
i'll be sure to ask questions whenever I need help! :)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:04 pm

Well, this is Hermit Crab Association, not any other group. So I would recommend going to the 'care sheet' section, and read our care sheets. All the info you need is there. Start with the 'basics' sheet, then go from there.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Fangs19

Post by Fangs19 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:06 pm

Okay thank you!