will it work??

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Hermitcrabzzz

will it work??

Post by Hermitcrabzzz » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:38 pm

i kinda want to get 2 very tiny hermit crabs will a 2.5 gallon tank be okay for them??

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: will it work??

Post by curlysister » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:52 pm

Not really. The smallest tank recommended for micro and tiny crabs is 5 gallon. And even then, there really wouldn't be much space for everything you need to have in there with them. Here's HCA's graphic:

https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... 26&t=92541

Keep in mind that these are minimums, and that crabs will grow - so unless you want to buy new tanks frequently, you may want to go a bit larger rather than smaller.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:35 pm

Hermitcrabzzz wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:38 pm
i kinda want to get 2 very tiny hermit crabs will a 2.5 gallon tank be okay for them??
As Curly said, not really. It could possibly work as a small iso for sick tiny or micro crabs.

Some things that make 2.5 gallon tanks not efficient:

1. Crowding:
When hermit crabs are crowded they can become aggressive towards each other and become extremely stressed, this can cause them to fight, kill each other, and even die due to stress. A 2.5 gallon tank for two crabs, even micro and tinys will not last long and is not practical.

2. Lids:
Hermit crab tanks should have some kind of covering, crabs can climb, and sometimes we don't even understand how they get where they do, without lids crabs can escape, and so it's not good long term. Finding lids for 2.5 gallons can be very tasking.

3. Price:
2.5 gallon tanks often cost the same, close to, or even more then a 10 gallon tank, therefore it's more worth it to give your crabs more space! If you can't afford a brand new 10 gallon tank, check craigslist and other second hand sights for cheap tanks in your area! They don't have to be able to hold water to hold substrate, so you might be able to find a good tank for crabs that would leak if it was used for fish! You can also check your local pet stores for sales!

4. *Space*:
Arguably, this is the most standout point I have today! You need to have space for six inches of substrate, from for the crabs to dig, a salt water and freshwater fish, a food dish, places to hide, and maybe even fun decor, toys, and climbing space! The more space you give your crabs, the happier they are. They are used to being on the beach, where they can walk miles every night with 100s of others. Now your crabs are in a small glass box with one other friend, so the bigger that glass box can be, the better!
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:37 pm

Hermitcrabzzz wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:38 pm
If you really can't afford a tank, and need a cheaper option that is something you may already have on hand for a temporary solution I recommend a storage tote. Here is a link to a tote tutorial that may be helpful to you!
https://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/p ... hp?t=94562
~
~
KyMart

crabocado

Post by crabocado » Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:50 am

The biggest reason I moved to a 10 gallon tank (from a small plastic tank - not sure what size, I'm guessing it was around 2.5 gal) was anxiety when I was out of town. My crab would spread substrate into the water dish, and/or push the dish around, tipping it over until it was empty. Having access to water is the number one essential for survival, for just about any creature. I ended up putting a lot of effort into finding ways to prop the water dish on a flat rock above the substrate, and to wedge it between objects, both to give it stability, and to make it harder for her to fill up the dish with substrate. Also, I kept buying larger dishes that are harder to push around and tip over. All this "architectural design and engineering" takes a lot of space in the tank! And that's without even mentioning a salt water dish, a food dish and some structures for climbing/hiding.

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:32 pm

It think a 10 gallon is a great place to start for two hermit crabs. Anything less is not recommended as hermit crabs need at least 6 inches of substrate to dig down, and less than a 10 gallon will not be sufficient enough for that. I started out with a 10 gallon when I had my crabs, and I even regretted how small it was so eventually I got a 29 gallon which is great for me! Everyone is different, but overall I would recommend starting bigger rather than smaller, I mean go big or go home is what I always say.
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:05 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:32 pm
It think a 10 gallon is a great place to start for two hermit crabs. Anything less is not recommended as hermit crabs need at least 6 inches of substrate to dig down, and less than a 10 gallon will not be sufficient enough for that. I started out with a 10 gallon when I had my crabs, and I even regretted how small it was so eventually I got a 29 gallon which is great for me! Everyone is different, but overall I would recommend starting bigger rather than smaller, I mean go big or go home is what I always say.
I feel this! I've had 2/3 of my crabs for almost two months now! They started in a little wire cage with blue gravel, a wet sponge, pellet foods, and two extra painted shells. Then, about two weeks after that they went into a 10 gallon tank with fresh food, salt and fresh water dishes, and a brand new hide, fake plants, and six inches of aquarium sand! That tank was worked on, and they where offered natrual shells which they are all now in! Today, I finally finished setting up my 40 gallon breeder tank, they all moved in, and are happier than every before! It makes me so happy, and feel so complete that I saved up the money, put the time, energy, and resources into creating their new tank. I'm so glad they love it, and that I love it, I would do it all over again.
~
~
KyMart

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:39 pm

KyMart wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:05 pm
I feel this! I've had 2/3 of my crabs for almost two months now! They started in a little wire cage with blue gravel, a wet sponge, pellet foods, and two extra painted shells. Then, about two weeks after that they went into a 10 gallon tank with fresh food, salt and fresh water dishes, and a brand new hide, fake plants, and six inches of aquarium sand! That tank was worked on, and they where offered natrual shells which they are all now in! Today, I finally finished setting up my 40 gallon breeder tank, they all moved in, and are happier than every before! It makes me so happy, and feel so complete that I saved up the money, put the time, energy, and resources into creating their new tank. I'm so glad they love it, and that I love it, I would do it all over again.
I’m so happy that you have made that 40 gallon update!! Maybe later in my life I will make it there too! :wink: Making your hermit crabs happy with a huge tank and fun food and decor is just one of the great joys of life. :crabblush:
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:05 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:39 pm
I’m so happy that you have made that 40 gallon update!! Maybe later in my life I will make it there too! :wink: Making your hermit crabs happy with a huge tank and fun food and decor is just one of the great joys of life. :crabblush:
Fr! I just let my big guy out for a little playtime, he wanted me so I put my hand in and he came over to play! I then fed him a little bit of honey off of a mini spoon and almost died inside when he actually ate some! Then I got towel and dipped the end of it in some decorated water and used that end to gently get the excess honey off of his legs (he stepped in it so much!), he was so sweet and didn't go inside of his shell or cause any problems while I did this, he's such a good little fellow! I then put him back in and watched him use his new wheel for the second time today! He is slowly learning, but he walked a little bit on it (very slowly, but he's getting there!). He then go off of the wheel and went to his new favorite hiding place, under the wheel squished between it and the water dish holder! He has a whole bunch of place to hide, and yet he chooses there! :lol:
~
~
KyMart

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:04 am

KyMart wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:05 pm
Fr! I just let my big guy out for a little playtime, he wanted me so I put my hand in and he came over to play! I then fed him a little bit of honey off of a mini spoon and almost died inside when he actually ate some! Then I got towel and dipped the end of it in some decorated water and used that end to gently get the excess honey off of his legs (he stepped in it so much!), he was so sweet and didn't go inside of his shell or cause any problems while I did this, he's such a good little fellow! I then put him back in and watched him use his new wheel for the second time today! He is slowly learning, but he walked a little bit on it (very slowly, but he's getting there!). He then go off of the wheel and went to his new favorite hiding place, under the wheel squished between it and the water dish holder! He has a whole bunch of place to hide, and yet he chooses there! :lol:
That's adorable! I got mine a spinning saucer type wheel and they would climb on it but in a straight line so it wouldn't move. They could never figure out how to use it so I just bought them the stand up kind and it should be coming in the mail soon. :cheer: I also just bought them a new light that has a sunset and sunrise feature which is SO cool!

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:06 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:04 am
That's adorable! I got mine a spinning saucer type wheel and they would climb on it but in a straight line so it wouldn't move. They could never figure out how to use it so I just bought them the stand up kind and it should be coming in the mail soon. :cheer: I also just bought them a new light that has a sunset and sunrise feature which is SO cool!
Omg I need that light! Give me the link! 😂
~
~
KyMart

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:57 pm

KyMart wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:06 pm
Omg I need that light! Give me the link! 😂
Sure thing! https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Submersib ... 8GY8K?th=1 The only thing I don't like about it is that when it gets into it's sunset feature it starts to turn blue for moonlight. I did my research and I think it's fine for the crabs but not for me! Blue light just seems so annoying but I guess I could get used to it or figure out how to turn that feature off. Though it is a lot better than the light I have now. At the moment I just have a cheap target desk lamp that surprisingly works pretty well but it's a hassle to open and close the tank so I needed a change. Ill let you know what I think of it when it comes in the mail, although it should come in the mail on Wednesday and I'm leaving for a trip to Washington that day so it may be a while until I test it out.

Serendipity

Post by Serendipity » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:41 pm

Serendipity wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:57 pm
Sure thing! https://www.amazon.com/hygger-Submersib ... 8GY8K?th=1 The only thing I don't like about it is that when it gets into it's sunset feature it starts to turn blue for moonlight. I did my research and I think it's fine for the crabs but not for me! Blue light just seems so annoying but I guess I could get used to it or figure out how to turn that feature off. Though it is a lot better than the light I have now. At the moment I just have a cheap target desk lamp that surprisingly works pretty well but it's a hassle to open and close the tank so I needed a change. Ill let you know what I think of it when it comes in the mail, although it should come in the mail on Wednesday and I'm leaving for a trip to Washington that day so it may be a while until I test it out.
I just got the light- it came a day early, yay! It has a weird purple-ish hue though which is kinda weird and I don't like it. But, I had such a big brain moment, I got black masking tape and covered each blue light on the light and it worked! I feel so smart lol. Although it works now, I still probably have to take it back because I thought the measurement I got would be long enough but the sides of the tank are a little dark so I need to get the longer size. *sigh*

kep816

Post by kep816 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:54 pm

Saw your post about the tank light. I purchased this one for my tank and absoutely love it and so does my crab: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRP ... UTF8&psc=1
It does have the variant lighting feature that mimics sunrise, bright daylight, sunset, evening, moonlight and I have it programmed to do this on its 24 hour cycle. It has a remote so you can change the lighting to the setting you wish. A little pricey but well worth it, and it straddles the top of the tank.

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:01 am

kep816 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:54 pm
Saw your post about the tank light. I purchased this one for my tank and absoutely love it and so does my crab: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BRP ... UTF8&psc=1
It does have the variant lighting feature that mimics sunrise, bright daylight, sunset, evening, moonlight and I have it programmed to do this on its 24 hour cycle. It has a remote so you can change the lighting to the setting you wish. A little pricey but well worth it, and it straddles the top of the tank.
Omg thank you so much, this will be helpful!
~
~
KyMart