ALLERGIES?!?!?!?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author

ALLERGIES?!?!?!?

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:07 pm

Okay, so my parents honestly think that some people are allergic to hermit crabs, like myself. I have NEVER had an allergic reaction from handling them so I think they are completely wrong but is it really possible for anyone to be allergic to them? And if so would it be because of their hairs? I've just never heard of such a thing before, lol

:flower:,
candace

hermie<3

Post by hermie<3 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:11 pm

u no i accually never even thought :shock: of that hmmm ill be watching the posts here :P

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:35 pm

I could see that it would be possible. BUT maybe the allergy is from the subtrate they are in.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:39 pm

hmmm, i'm specifically talking about to hermit crabs, though :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:41 pm

I know a guy who is always saying how deathly allergic to crabs an crustaceans he is, but he used to have hermit crabs too.

Topic author
Willow

Post by Willow » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:51 pm

If somebody had a reallyreally bad allergy to shellfish, it might be possible, but unlikely. They don't have dander like mammals do, so you wouldn't have a respiratory reaction, it would be more likely a skin reaction, or, in a really bad case, an anaphylactic reaction.

hulk

Post by hulk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:14 am

I think allergies to shellfish is when you eat them lol not hold them...I have terrible allergies to practically everything..so I am still alive...and I have a mini zoo! I don't have any reactions to my crabbies =) thank goodness!
Paige

Topic author
Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs

Post by Hermit_of_Hermit_Crabs » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:43 am

When people have allergic reactions to seafood in general it comes through eating these types of foods not from being around them. I honestly don't see how someone could be allergic to the actual living hermit crabs because they don't produce any scents or danders of any kind.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:03 am

I agree with Willow, if a person has REALLY bad shelfish allergies and was handling the crabs and then stuck their fingers in their mouth/eye then they might have a reaction. Honestly the thing that people would be more likely allergic to would be the bedding if you're using a forest floor type stuff.

EGcrabber

Post by EGcrabber » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:16 pm

I seriously doubt anyone could be allergic to hermit crabs. There's really nothing a crab has that can trigger an allergy unless you eat one, and I'm guessing you're not going to do that.
One medium PP: Gizmo

May you rest in peace, Stark, Blue lightning, Rivulet, Floyd, Shocker, Scyfer, Brad, Weasel, and Farik
10 successful molts
2 bad

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:54 pm

As said before, the allergy is to eating the shellfish, not handling them. I can't eat shellfish or I'll realllllllllllly swell up and sometime have problems breathing.

I don't think there is an allergy to the hermit crabs themselves, but someone could have an allergy to something used in the tank.

I found I'm allergic to one of the mosses sold for reptiles. It has a green die on it that make me really itch and turns my hand and lower arms red.

I've work with exotic and domestic animals for 40 years now, and have found several items that cause me problems. I have a hugh allergy to insects bites and really have to be careful, but have never had a problem with the animals I've cared for, except being bite, scratched, chased and loved by them.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:33 pm

I think it's the degree of allergicness (if that's a word) I know someone whose father was at a restaurant and went into anaphylactic shock for apparently no reason. They found out later that the restaurant's dishwasher wasn't getting hot enough or something, anyways it wasn't working properly and the dishes weren't getting cleaned properly. They theorised, since the restaurant served a lot of seafood, that the person who used his wine glass or plate etc etc before him had had seafood, which he's highly allergic to and the residue was what stopped his heart. thankfully he had an epi pen and after a short stay at the hospital was ok. I imagine that if he were to handle hermit crabs then touch his face he'd probably have a reaction. :shock:

mrbonzai211

Post by mrbonzai211 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:01 pm

Maybe you're allergic to Charleston Chews
12 PP's
8 Ruggies
4 Strawberry

Topic author

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:35 pm

mrbonzai211 wrote:Maybe you're allergic to Charleston Chews

Can you believe its practically been 2 weeks with no charleston chews!!!

Thank you everyone, these are GREAT discussions!

Topic author

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:01 pm

all of you have been so great in our discussion regarding allergies. Someone recently started up a thread that also addresses allergies.

Here is the link to that thread. I'm including it in this thread to that we can answer her questions as well. Thanks again everyone for being such great forumers!

viewtopic.php?p=451835#451835