dumbest things people have said about your crabs/other pets?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

SunShine13

Re: dumbest things people have said about your crabs/other p

Post by SunShine13 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:11 pm

So this story isn't about one of my pets but an animal we use as a teaching tool. She's super chill, friendly, and has "seen it all" before. Did I mention she's a 7 foot boa?
Took her out with another person to show people and first we get the usual questions: is she real? Venomous? Can she eat me? Is she slimy? Can I touch her?

Then the kicker. A lady standing a distance away
"why isn't she biting you?"
"Well, we're too big for her to eat"
Lady: "yes, but why isn't she biting you?"
"We're not hurting her so she has no reason too"
"Yeees, BUT why isn't she biting you?"
"Umm I don't understand the question"

What are snakes supposed to always bite? Sigh, people can be strange

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:24 pm

"You'd be a good mother, having all those pets"
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

Axiluvia

Post by Axiluvia » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:03 pm

Rocky wrote:"You'd be a good mother, having all those pets"
Ugh, so glad I've not dealt with this yet.... although I'm a horrible person and would probably say "I used to have kids, but they vanished. Not sure whether to blame the crabs or the snake."

I do dearly want a ball python though, already have the tank set up, just need the breeder I'm buying from to hatch the clutch.

I've been asked "Why do you want a snake/hermit crabs? Why not get something normal?"

I say " I already have a cat and a dog, and grew up with cats, dogs, birds, fish, guinea pigs, hamsters, and a rabbit. I like having pets that are easier to take care of, don't make too much noise, and don't decide to pee all over the walls and change the color of the paint."

Which actually did happen with the guinea pigs. They decided they would much rather go on the side of the cage then IN it. My mom wondered why I wanted them out of my room ASAP until she saw the yellowed streaks on the wall.
"Every man has a right to be wrong in his opinions. But no man has a right to be wrong in his facts." ~ Bernard Baruch

sofiaee

Post by sofiaee » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:47 am

Axiluvia wrote: I've been asked "Why do you want a snake/hermit crabs? Why not get something normal?"

I say " I already have a cat and a dog, and grew up with cats, dogs, birds, fish, guinea pigs, hamsters, and a rabbit. I like having pets that are easier to take care of, don't make too much noise, and don't decide to pee all over the walls and change the color of the paint."
Yeah I feel you on low maintenance pets. I enjoy the upkeep of the habitat/watching of my crabs/decorating/finding foods they love, but I'm glad they don't need daily one on one attention like a lot of animals. I love my birds but there are times I feel really guilty about not giving my birds enough attention when I'm really busy like I was during finals week or when I go out of town. They want so much time with me and need so much interaction/enrichment. Compared to the two of them the hermit crabs are a breeze.

I'm moving into a studio apartment in September, I think my birds will be happy that I can't escape them unless I'm going to class hahaha, they always want to be in view of me!

It bothers me when people think my birds are mean because they've been bitten. It's hard to explain to someone who doesn't have bird experience how to handle a bird in 1 minute before they reach their hand out and scare the bird into biting this new strange person that they don't trust yet. They're really sweet and especially with my first bird I have such a strong bond with him, so I get personally offended when people say bad things about him :P
15 PP's, 7 E's, 3 Viola's : A Happy Colony of 25

Big Pinch | Art | Illustrations

Topic author
HandyHermits

Post by HandyHermits » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:01 pm

here's a new one:
A friend of mine is doing all the research he can so he can get crabs. he showed me a pic of his habitat. it was completely dry, w/ less than an inch of gravel and painted shells, no water, he had sponges, and that hermit crab food. the next day, he brought the care books with him. they all said:
painted shells are good
gravel is good
nothing about humidity
nothing about deep sand or molting
hermit crabs will drown if given pools of water
nothing about saltwater
bathe your crabs
they only live about 3 months
WHY are hermit crabs thought to be easy to care for! :evil: :evil:
4 pps Speedy(F),Houdini(M),,Switcher(M), and Harry Potter(M) (R.I.P Sheldon and S.J)

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Cecil716

Post by Cecil716 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:18 pm

"Are they pets or are you going to eat them?"
"What do they taste like?"

Just a few comments on some pictures of my crabs I posted on twitter. I made the mistake of mentioning a mildly well know person on twitter beacuse he retweeted a few pictures of my crabs... oh boy the comments people made. Like why on earth would someone make a joke about me wanting to eat a hermit crab? Its like you wouldn't ask a child if they would eat their dog or if someone would want to eat their fish! :banghead: :violent2:
Current hermits: About 17 PPs and 3 straws (for now)
A 180-ish gallon tank with two 36 gallon extenstions!
What can I say? I love crabs!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Rocky wrote:"You'd be a good mother, having all those pets"
When mother's day comes round, my entire family lumps me in with the "moms" and gives me gifts and cards even though I don't have human children. Apparently it's possible to amass enough pets where it's an automatic inclusion into the "mom club". :hlol:
Chelsea716 wrote:Its like you wouldn't ask a child if they would eat their dog or if someone would want to eat their fish!
I've been asked the "are the fish for dinner?" several times before, and I'm absolutely positive that it's been a completely serious question more than once. :roll:
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

hkiwi1846

Post by hkiwi1846 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:48 pm

I usually get the "how do you take care of them?" I just say I make time :) (im back btw)
•5 PP's •3 tetra •4 cory catfish •1 pond snail •1 assasin snail •1 betta •1 CAT PACMAN FROG •worm farm

hermitcrabdc

Post by hermitcrabdc » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:29 pm

Earlier I brought up that I had so many pet store cards. A girl who doesn't know I have crabs gets us into this conversation....
Her: What do you do with the cards?
Me: Hermit crab stuff.
Her: What do you do with the crabs?
Me: Watch them...
pause
Her: Have you ever dressed them up?

What on earth!?!?! Dress them up, what does she think they are? Dogs? :hlol:
Crabbing since July 2013!
4 PPs - Chloe, Tani, Kono, McGarrett

jennifer711983

Post by jennifer711983 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:34 pm

You don't buy hermit crab tutus??? Lol...where do people come up with this stuff is right.....silly people. I always get "you are so funny with all this crab stuff" and I say why....They are adorable! That gets met with silence.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

MgnB

Post by MgnB » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:41 pm

My dad said "oh you still have those snail? " wtheck dad!

TheLilMommaB

Post by TheLilMommaB » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:36 pm

My brother is always asking if he can go fishing in my Oscar tank yet.

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 5 hermits, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 cockatiel, 1 goldfish and 1 bone headed pittbull.
Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 5, hermits, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 cockatiel, 1 gold fish, and 1 bone headed pittbull.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:47 pm

TheLilMommaB wrote:My brother is always asking if he can go fishing in my Oscar tank yet.

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 5 hermits, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 cockatiel, 1 goldfish and 1 bone headed pittbull.
???
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

TheLilMommaB

Post by TheLilMommaB » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:01 pm

I have a pair of 12" Oscar fish and my brother insists that we need to eat them...he really doesn't understand my love of animals

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 5, hermits, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 cockatiel, 1 gold fish, and 1 bone headed pittbull.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:02 pm

Oh, ok. Lol
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above