Thinking of rehoming

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Gloaming

Thinking of rehoming

Post by Gloaming » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:57 pm

I've been having a REALLY hard time lately and was just diagnosed with bipolar disorder. It's been interfering with caring for my sweet hermit crabs, which I love dearly. I don't want to give them up, but it's been so hard even spraying their crabitat regularly.

Another thing that worries me is I don't think there are many other good crabbers in New Mexico, so I don't know where to take them.

This is so hard for me to even consider, but I want them to have a good life! Any advice would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rebecca C

Re: Thinking of rehoming

Post by Rebecca C » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:27 pm

Hello there,

I'm sorry for what you are going through; I know it isn't easy. :( If you live with someone, do you think someone else could help you take care of them when you cannot?

I feel bad that you feel like you wouldn't do a good job caring for them, but if you have already made up your mind, I would suggest posting in the adoption forum. A lot of members do not advertise where they live, and it is possible that there are plenty of them in New Mexico. If you post in the appropriate spot, it may not be immediate, but someone should come along. :wink:
~Ashley

I have 3 PP's, 1 E, and a puppy. :) Hermit Crabbing since August '04 R.I.P: to the crabs I have lost and R.I.P. Rocky(my first pet).
I make and sell all-natural, chemical and dye free hermit crab food on Etsy:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheHappyHermi ... p_redirect

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:32 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having difficulty caring for the hermits. It can often be hard and sometimes impossible to keep up with pets when you have a chronic illness. If there's someone else around to offer daily support and step in to help care for them when things get bad, it can make all the difference in both their care and with your worries. Unfortunately, usually family members and friends aren't able to understand why we're interested in hermit crabs the first place. :(

The only adopter I know of in New Mexico is one of our founding members, kip.rodgers357 who is in Deming: http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... ile&u=1864

happycrabbymama just took over the adoption program, so her or I could post a notice to Facebook reaching out to anyone else who maybe closer. Just ask if you do decide to go that route. :)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Gloaming

Post by Gloaming » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:21 am

Thanks to both of you. I'll see if my boyfriend could possibly step in to help a little. He's not in love with the little buggers, but he does get a kick out of them. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:21 pm

If anyone has room for crabs, it's Kip. He's got a freakn' 1080 gallon tank for goodness sake :).
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Brittanybaby22

Post by Brittanybaby22 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:39 pm

I got autism but I still take care of my hermit crabs sometimes my mom help me out with putting in new sand I can't do that on my own everything else I can do I make sure he has water and food and I make sure his humidity and heat is 80% he active again he just got done with his second molt with me he looks good dwebble is cute I had him for 6 months going on 7 months on December 27th