Sad Day

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
CallaLily

Sad Day

Post by CallaLily » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:33 am

I decided to go ahead and break down the E tank today so I could get it moved. Favre (PP) hadn't been seen since January so I had no hope for him. One-Eyed Willy and Solembum went down in June and August. "Gally" I hadn't seen in some time but he spends a lot of time under so I wasn't overly worried. "Suliman" had been up.

First I find One-Eyed Willy's shell and semi-scattered remains. I'm thinking something went wrong since it was all pretty close to his shell.

Then I find Solembum's empty shell, no trace of her to be found.

Next I come across Mallorn's abandoned shell which was the part I was actually dreading about this whole thing. He didn't die there but I knew it would open up old wounds to see it.

A few bits of old exo here and there.

Then Suliman/Penstemmon's shell with obvious remains. Yep that's right, the crab I thought was the finally gendered Suliman seems to actually be Gally. After not finding Gally's shell in the substrate, I checked shell shops again, and sure enough there's his old shell. So it almost has to be him. Just the new shell he's wearing looks very, very similar to Suliman's. I compared pics, the dead crab's shell is for sure the shell Suliman/Penstemmon was wearing. Gally has grown quite large however, if I'm right that it's him.

Last I found Favre's shell, no other trace of him.

Conditions have been correct but temps have been on the low side (80F) at night - one reason I was wanting to move the tank. Substrate was a nice consistency other than a couple places right at the surface and smells fine all the way down.

I had Solembum for over 5 years. Her and Gally lived peacefully together for 1 year. Both with many successful molts. One-Eyed Willy and Suliman were adoptions I took in May and these were their first molts with me.

It's just heartbreaking and not at all what I was expecting to find. But I need to get this tank moved and put back together. "Gally" or whoever he is is in ISO waiting. Just had to share with someone. I think I'm done with Es. Though I don't think this was an E aggression situation but my luck with them seems to have run out. :(

kuza

Re: Sad Day

Post by kuza » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:40 am

:(

Ryry

Post by Ryry » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:42 am

Oh my goodness calla, I am so sorry. I can't imagine having all of that at once.
All kinds of crabby!
2 Violas, 1 Indo, 7 PPs, 2 cats, 1 Sheltie, 1 mechanic boyfriend

dinky

Post by dinky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:53 am

So sorry to here this, I just had my own episode last night with my E killing my new ruggie, I caught the fight and it was so intense I'm still not over it this morning...now I'm wondering if this one E is why I've had trouble with keeping E's???? So sorry you lost so much ):
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:03 pm

Oh my gosh Calla!! I am so so so sorry. :comfort: That much at once is way too much to deal with.

Is it just the E in ISO that's left now?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

MuseCrazy

Post by MuseCrazy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:36 pm

Wow I've never had these problems with my E's. Maybe because there are only 2 and I adopted them from people that had them living peacefully with PPs for 2 years. Do you think it was cannibalism?

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:11 pm

Yes, he's my last E. Just in ISO until I can get the tank going again. I'm not sure about cannibalism. Obviously Solembum seems to have been eaten but there's no way to know if it happened before or after her death. I found many pieces of One-Eyed Willy and they were pretty close by his shell so I don't think that's the case with him. All that was left of Suliman was a couple small exo pieces and what I think was his/her abdomen in the shell.

Thank you for all of your replies.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:39 pm

Oh, Calla, what an awful day! Losing one crab underground is heartbreaking enough but this...good grief :( . Will your remaining E live alone or are you planning to put him in with the PPs?
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:08 pm

I'm undecided. I guess I could put him in the 75g with the PPs but I think it might be better to space them out between the two tanks? Maybe I'll move a couple smaller PPs over into the 40B/exoterra.

Teedeums

Sad Day

Post by Teedeums » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:09 pm

I'm so sorry, I can't imagine how hard it is to lose that many crabs at once :(.
5 PPs; Ghast, Eager, Boomer, Plato, and Indigo
2 Family Dogs; Lilly and Ginger

Have a very crabby day! =D

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm so sorry Calla :cry: I've also had issues with E's, particularly with molting issues. It's always tough to lose a crabby, and I offer you my condolences :grouphug:
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:51 pm

OMG, Calla my heart & my crabs hearts go out to you! *hugs* I really hope the lone E in the ISO is ok, hopefully you and your crabs will pull through.

I so sorry Calla.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:26 pm

Thank you. Gally looks to be in great shape. He's active, eating, and back in the up and running 40B/exoterra. I think I am going to move a couple of my smaller PPs over so he's not alone. I admit I'm a bit nervous about it though. Fingers crossed all goes well there.

hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:10 am

My fingers are crossed for you! I am so sorry you had to go through that!! Seems like E's are very complicated, I can't seem to keep mine alive. I hope all goes well with your last E.

YYWW

Post by YYWW » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:32 am

I'm so sorry @CallaLily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk