Sad Day

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Drakezilla

Re: Sad Day

Post by Drakezilla » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:30 am

Oh my gosh Calla! I am so sorry for your loss! Are you going to get another E if you put him in another tank with PPs for a species buddy or is he going to live on his own?
-:- -:- -:- / / / -:- -:- -:-
Cᴜʀʀᴇɴᴛʟʏ;
{ 01 } PP; Cᴀᴘ ( 10 /13/15 ) **Looking for a new home in Tampa, Florida**

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:10 am

I do think it's best I don't take in any more Es. I started out with Solembum, Elva, and Maud over 5 years ago. Then my last crab purchase Feb 2010 was Morgan and Jenks. Gally I adopted from my mom just over a year ago. One-Eyed Willy and Suliman from another Crabber's dad in May. Morgan (2012) Jenks (2012) Maud (April 2013), Elva (Jan 2014) and Solembum (yesterday) were gone with only their empty shells left behind. There were only pieces of One-Eyed Willy and Suliman. They may have just been eaten after death or decomposed quickly but it's just been loss after loss with them. Trust me it's not an easy decision. It's just reached a point where I have to ask myself if I really should continue adopting Es. Putting aside all selfish reasons, the answer is no. I'll still adopt PPs (added bonus that no one seems to want them anyway). If there's an experienced crabber in or near Delaware, that has successfully kept Es for many years, I'd be willing to adopt him out.

dinky

Post by dinky » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:20 am

CallaLily wrote:I do think it's best I don't take in any more Es. I started out with Solembum, Elva, and Maud over 5 years ago. Then my last crab purchase Feb 2010 was Morgan and Jenks. Gally I adopted from my mom just over a year ago. One-Eyed Willy and Suliman from another Crabber's dad in May. Morgan (2012) Jenks (2012) Maud (April 2013), Elva (Jan 2014) and Solembum (yesterday) were gone with only their empty shells left behind. There were only pieces of One-Eyed Willy and Suliman. They may have just been eaten after death or decomposed quickly but it's just been loss after loss with them. Trust me it's not an easy decision. It's just reached a point where I have to ask myself if I really should continue adopting Es. Putting aside all selfish the reasons, the answer is no. I'll still adopt PPs (added bonus that no one seems to want them anyway). If there's an experienced crabber in or near Delaware, that has successfully kept Es for many years, I'd be willing to adopt him out.
Calla, I have had a lot of trouble with E's, and in my other note I told you about Roadrunner killing my ruggie. I am seriously looking into UVB to see if this makes a difference, lack of sun for days makes me crabby, so I really want to give this a try as roadrunners attitude has changed over the years I've had him. I wouldn't give up, this is the only way we can learn on here is by other experienced crabbers trying different things. And I say experienced crabbers because I think if you have been at it a few years you are more likely to consider all the variables and truly research different things to try due to the experience you have had in the past. I moved roadrunner and want to see with these new crabs how successful of a molt I have, I will be adding UVB light to my exotics from here on out and I'm even considering the possibility of altering some of their shells, I notice they like the old ones where the inside is cleared out (fat butt thing with E's I think) anyhow, just want to encourage you to keep up the work and maybe consider keeping E's in a separate tank.....good luck!
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:58 am

I don't have uvb on that tank yet, have the light strip just need to get the bulb. My PPs and Es have been separated for around a year now. Favre was just under when I switched everyone around. Other PPs were too and I moved them over as they resurfaced. They do have both E modified extra shells and unmodified extra shells. At the very least, I'm taking a long break from Es. But really I think I'm just going to move on and focus on my PPs. Es don't often come up for adoption around here anyway. Thank you for trying to help.

Edit: I just PM'd a crabber about adopting Gally. Hopefully that'll work out so he doesn't have to be without a species buddy.

dinky

Post by dinky » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:57 am

CallaLily wrote:I don't have uvb on that tank yet, have the light strip just need to get the bulb. My PPs and Es have been separated for around a year now. Favre was just under when I switched everyone around. Other PPs were too and I moved them over as they resurfaced. They do have both E modified extra shells and unmodified extra shells. At the very least, I'm taking a long break from Es. But really I think I'm just going to move on and focus on my PPs. Es don't often come up for adoption around here anyway. Thank you for trying to help.

Edit: I just PM'd a crabber about adopting Gally. Hopefully that'll work out so he doesn't have to be without a species buddy.
I understand, just letting you know I've had my share of problems with them, wish I lived closer, I would spoil the E for you...good luck!
Happy owner of 10 pp's, 7 E's, 2 straws, 1 ruggie, 2 viola's, 2 dogs, to many kids to count and one awesome hubby

WingedWalrus

Post by WingedWalrus » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:11 am

Calla I am so saddened to read all of this. :( We're all here for you. So, so sorry.
11 purple pinchers - Plum, Rillow, Arthinia, unnamed, unnamed, unnamed Biggie-Smalls, Ignatius, Ilan, unnamed, unnamed
1 ecuadorians - Adaara
1 ball python - Tungsten
1 corn snake - Seaborg
1 albino redtail boa - Kobuk
1 kenyan sandboa - Cadmus

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm sorry for your loss. :(
Last edited by soilentgringa on Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:10 pm

And they all had Inheritance Cycle names too :(
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

ViiT

Post by ViiT » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:28 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about this :c
40GB/6 PPs: Heisenberg (M), Hobbles (M), Schrödinger (F), Tesla (F), Icarus (?), 1 Un-named Micro
5G Isopod Tank: 3 Successful Reproductions

Topic author
CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:29 pm

Yep. Solembum, Elva, and Maud were names from the Inheritance Cycle. Morgan, Jenks, and Algaliarept are from the Hollows. One-Eyed Willy is from the Goonies. Mrs Penstemmon and Wizard Suliman are from Howl's Moving Castle.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:39 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Losing a crab is always rough, and I can't imagine finding multiple empty shells like that.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.