Death Investigation. Aftermath Questions.

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Bounceraff

Death Investigation. Aftermath Questions.

Post by Bounceraff » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:56 am

So I just lost my biggest and most social little one, Washington or "Wash", for reasons unknown.

Brief background before all the questions:

I got Wash in February and he's been through one successful molt in a 10 gallon tank. I just recently (about a week ago) moved back home from the University for summer break and (4-5 days ago?) got a 30 gallon tank upgrade. When I put Wash in the new tank, he just stopped doing everything and, from what I could tell, got really sick. Like he just wouldn't move around or do anything like eat or drink outside of being mildly responsive to shadows and/or me reaching into the tank. After a couple days of this odd behavior, I thought there was something wrong with the new tank and promptly moved him back into the old 10 gallon, where nothing had changed since. He showed a little improvement, he drank from both water dishes and became more responsive and would walk around a little now and then. But he got worse, until tonight.

Ok, question time (for the new 30 gallon):

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

I used a mix of Zoo Med Eco Earth and Quickrete Play Sand. Maybe EE 2:1 PS. Wash always scraped the sand off of himself so I figured I'd try a bit more EE this time.
Roughly 7 inches deep. Sand castle consistency, though he never dug in it.

When I was mixing the sub, it gave off a fragrant smell that was very similar to Copenhagen brand chew tobacco (I used to know someone who used it and the smell is
pretty recognizable). I didn't think anything of it at first.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

I have one electronic dual Thermometer/Hygrometer that I ordered online. I don't exactly remember the brand off-hand. Located about an inch above sub level. Temp
ranges from 78-85 depending on the day, Humidity moves between 80-95% but typically stays on the high end.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

I use a Zoo Med Reptitherm UTH 20-30 gallon. I had a Moon Lite bulb too if needed for extra heat/viewing at night.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

Both fresh and salt water were available in decently sized pools. Treated with Tetra BettaSafe Dechlorinator and shaken well. I used Instant Ocean Sea Salt for the salt
water, 1/2 cup per gallon of water as the instructions say.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

I typically use a variety of food (supplied from HugsForHermits) as well as fresh fruit, broken chicken bones, raw shrimp when I can as well as other fresh seafoods.
Anything that I can get a hold of that's on that safe food list really. It gets changed every other day or when the food goes moldy. I've never had a negative response from
the little ones on food.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

I've had Wash since February 7th. He's a Purple Pincher, medium sized I think (golf ball?).

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

Wash finished a successful molt 7 weeks ago, it lasted 7 weeks too, coincidentally.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

The Crabitat is a 30 gallon glass aquarium. It has a glass lid with a plastic piece for a third of it that I cut slits into for air and humidity control. The 10 Gallon is
the same setup just smaller.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

Wash was the only one put in the 30 gallon. His "brother" Waldo is still down for a 7 week molt (so far) in the 10 gallon. Wash is about golf ball sized and Waldo is a bit
smaller

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

There are lots of shells provided for them, of varying sizes. Around 2-3 good hand fulls. Wash had a couple favorites that he would change into every now and then.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

Not that I am aware of. I recently moved into a garage-turned-bedroom (about a week ago). Wash has been here before earlier in the year (spring break).

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

I usually spot check daily messes like food bits and poop. I wipe out any mold that pops up where buried goods are and scoop out the sub there. If the glass gets too smudgy
I'll take a dry cloth and wipe down the glass. I haven't done any deep cleans at all, I haven't really had any reason to so far.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

No sponges, I hear they've got a bad rep.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

A large piece of Mopani wood that I boiled and soaked in salt water, some fake plants and a fake climbing vine (also boiled). Everything else was pulled straight form the 10
gallon

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

Wash's sudden lack of everything is/was extremely out of character for him, even when he's getting ready to molt. I strongly suspect the EE because of the funky smell, but
I've never heard/seen anything of bad EE mix so I really don't know.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Not really an emergency, I just want to know what caused my little guy's departure :(
Hermits: Waldo
R.I.P: Bruno, Washington

Topic author
Bounceraff

Re: Death Investigation. Aftermath Questions.

Post by Bounceraff » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:03 am

Here's a link to the original post about the crabitat itself. There are pics of the setup and maybe a bit more information:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=104430

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:58 am

The only questionable thing I'm seeing is the weird smell from the cocofiber. I usually buy Eco Earth brand and it always smells earthy to me. I'm so sorry to hear about Wash. :(

Topic author
Bounceraff

Post by Bounceraff » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:28 pm

Thank you CallaLily, I'm going to see if the local stores sell Eco Earth brand coco fiber and give that a try :)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:57 pm

I am sorry you lost Wash. Curse his sudden but inevitable betrayal. [CRYING FACE] Stay shiny lil guy.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:10 am

All I can think of is how often the little guy was moved and the off brand EE. The small ones get scared easier and seven weeks usually isn't enough to de-stress, molt, explore, find the food and water then get used to daily life. Believe me, my little ones are still recovering from all the moving when I got them (forever ago). After of course the stressful car ride and bath. The best thing for a new crab is to have water and food out and ready, decor in check so your not rearranging their whole world on the first day, proper conditions, and just don't touch reach dig or grab for him until after molt 1-3 depending on their stress levels/behavioral signs and symptoms. Seriously, no touchy. That means the tank too. If needed only get a newbie when you have a few months of re-arrange-free time and give them stillness, some say quite helps too.
For my Toby it was mid February when I got him then he de-stressed and started peeking out, I got a 37g upgrade and I had to move everyone over and wait on him. When I did snatch him he went down to molt/de-stress some more in mid-late March and didn't come back up until a week ago. Now I can work with him and practice holding him and him getting used to me.
They are not by any means pets that fit your schedule and if you expect them to they might die. Hard but true.
-

Topic author
Bounceraff

Post by Bounceraff » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:12 pm

soilentgringa wrote:I am sorry you lost Wash. Curse his sudden but inevitable betrayal. [CRYING FACE] Stay shiny lil guy.
Made my day, thank you. :)
kornchaser wrote:All I can think of is how often the little guy was moved and the off brand EE. The small ones get scared easier and seven weeks usually isn't enough to de-stress, molt, explore, find the food and water then get used to daily life . . .
Thank you, I too got Wash in February so I've had him for about 4-5 months now, out of all 3 of my little guys, he seemed the one that got used to things easier. He was always out and about climbing on things, even in the middle of the day and he rarely was afraid of me moving around nearby, often times he would sit right up against the glass and move to whichever side I was closest to haha (not to say he never appreciated his alone time haha he was quite the little ninja when he wanted to be) :)

But that's why his parting is so shocking . . .

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:33 pm

Bounceraff wrote: Made my day, thank you. :)
Thank you, I too got Wash in February so I've had him for about 4-5 months now, out of all 3 of my little guys, he seemed the one that got used to things easier. He was always out and about climbing on things, even in the middle of the day and he rarely was afraid of me moving around nearby, often times he would sit right up against the glass and move to whichever side I was closest to haha (not to say he never appreciated his alone time haha he was quite the little ninja when he wanted to be) :)

But that's why his parting is so shocking . . .
If i could have my original gang all back together and small again Octavius, Matty, Junior I would. Matty would perch on Octavius' shell and ride around and come late night movies they'd face the TV with Junior on the tallest chair (a rock cave).
I'm sorry for your loss.
-

Topic author
Bounceraff

Post by Bounceraff » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:25 am

That sounds adorable!! haha and thank you. I wonder if Wash would have ever watched tv? I'd be willing to bet he would :P