Darm bugs

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Kleinerhejhog

Darm bugs

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:45 am

Sitting there, watching TV, drinking cocoa, minding my own business, suddenly beseiged by micro gnats. Landing all over me, my iPad, now they're all over the sofa, and my cocoa is now toxic. All this going on ten feet from my crabs. I don't see any in there, but now I want to seal the whole top so they don't get in, but I don't want to suffocate my crabs, either. :( how can I protect my crabitat from infestation?

CallaLily

Re: Darm bugs

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:54 am

Switch to dry foods until you get them under control. You can set up vinegar traps to catch and kill them. Good luck!

Topic author
Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:07 pm

Vinegar trap, zero. Fly strip and abandoned cocoa, dozens. :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:31 pm

I just scheduled an exterminator for ants! Bugs! Blech!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:43 pm

Kleinerhejhog wrote:Vinegar trap, zero. Fly strip and abandoned cocoa, dozens. :/
Weird. But yay for the fly strip! No matter how hard I try, I always end up getting my hair caught in those when we've used them. Yuck. :lol:

Topic author
Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:03 pm

And this evening I am sitting in the exact same spot and haven't seen a single one. I'd like to think I caught them all, hahaha.

I hear you on the hair. Been there.

The exterminator treats outside regularly. Me 'n the fire ants have an ongoing battle. I swear, the wasps are less troublesome than the stupid fire ants.

Topic author
Kleinerhejhog

Post by Kleinerhejhog » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:10 am

Spoke too soon, I guess, the rotten little beasties started moving in on me again half an hour ago. Don't know where they hid all day.

DiZi205

Re: Darm bugs-I also have weirdness.

Post by DiZi205 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:18 am

:?: I am wondering what the worm like thingies are that mysteriously show up in both water dishes over night. I put the smooth ground foods in food dishes and there were what looked like meal worms in the food dish that had been nearly emptied. I change the salt water and fresh water every 2-3 days..I just did a huge bake the substrate for 12 minutes for my 2o gallon and 10 gallon tanks and sterilized all the toys, rocks shells and dishes... in addition to the meal worm size worms-4-5 in SWD, 1 in FWD and 3 in powdered dish, I saw a long stringy clear tape of what looked like seeds or long fish poop in fresh water tank. I have i large that just came up from molting and 3 medium and 1 very small not moving and looks dead one that I am leaving alone in crab dish. Others leaving him alone also. They all seem pretty healthy since rescuing 3 of them in December and the 2 newer rescues in May. I want to know if crabs poop out worms meal worm size or if something in the tank survived 400 degree 15 minute cook? These guys are very interesting to me and I want to keep them healthy!

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:23 pm

It sounds like crab poop.

Sydthesquid345

Post by Sydthesquid345 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:41 pm

Crab poop looks kinda like tiny thin brown macaroni lol! And I find a lot of it in my water dishes.

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:03 pm

My big crabs leave really big poop.

DiZi205

Post by DiZi205 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:55 pm

ok- I agree- it is poop! lol. I think Baby Bear the smallest may be surface molting: doesn't fall out of shell moves minimally but does move doesn't stink. I left him home by himself for 7 days with all levels and dry food/ waters. Fingers crossed BB will be okay. I will now go read about surface molting. :? Thanks everyone.