How long are crabs safe out of habitat?

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Heatherleighhh

How long are crabs safe out of habitat?

Post by Heatherleighhh » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:29 pm

I often try to take my crabs out of the tank and let them run around my floor but get worried after a few minutes that I could be hurting them because of the lack of proper conditions. So how long is it safe for me to allow them out to exercise? I've searched around but haven't been able to find a answer. I would assume they enjoy it, the tank has gotta get boring. Do you allow yours out?

Renroc

Re: How long are crabs safe out of habitat?

Post by Renroc » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Crabs are a hands off look and love pet. They should never be out of their tank except if absolutely necessary and even then only for a minute or two

Still in denial I've managed to pull this off.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:31 pm

I don't take my crabs out and assume they get enough exercise climbing and digging in the crabitat. Some crabbers do let their crabs out to wander around; the most celebrated crabber, Carol Ormes of Florida, let her two crabs out to mosey around her house for about 30 minutes each day and had the crabs for more than 30 years! See the article about her below:

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-expert ... -long-life
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:47 pm

I think it depends on outside conditions. I may let my crabs out this summer on days when temps and humidity mimic the tank. I think that lady who's crabs lived so long lived in FL, so the conditions would be what they needed. I think she even had an outside, open air habitat for them (can't really remember though)......
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Topic author
Heatherleighhh

Post by Heatherleighhh » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:58 pm

Really? So even handling them isn't the norm? My smaller crabs I let be but my jumbo and two large ones are the three who I'll handle and allow to roam around.

Renroc

Post by Renroc » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:54 am

Heatherleighhh wrote:Really? So even handling them isn't the norm? My smaller crabs I let be but my jumbo and two large ones are the three who I'll handle and allow to roam around.
Hi there, hermit crabs have modified gills. They need the warm humid air to breath. Taking them out of the tank is like causing a human an asthma attack. I always strongly suggest not handling any more than absolutely necessary. If you have stuff in your tank for them to climb and explore and hide and dig they are going to get enough activity without needing to leave home... BUT that's just my opinion.
Crazy crab lady with 1 male raised in captivity who is now 7 yrs old (Dec 23) and a 2 females I've added from rehoming or adoptions to add to my breeding colony.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:05 am

Carol used to do hours out of the tank, every night, for decades. There is a newer movement to be hands off with them, but the veteran crabbers were all very hands on when I first got mine, with no ill effects. The trick is to let them settle in and have a good molt before interacting with them.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

CrazyCrab12

Post by CrazyCrab12 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:10 am

I'll take mine outside with me on really hot and humid days, but i also keep them in a hamster ball that i've misted just in case my outside humidity gauge is off(i never learned how to calibrate it) they will run around on my driveway for a bit. I make sure there aren't any ants or anything that can hurt them first. I've never done more than 20 minutes. Some crabs understand the hamster ball. Some crabs don't. And if you try the hamster ball, i suggest drilling some extra foot holes for them.
Buy a custom portrait of your crab!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatfieldPetPortrait

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:36 am

I don't handle my crabs often either. They just don't seem to enjoy it, IME. :)

There's always been crabbers that do, crabbers that don't, and those in between with handling since I've been a member here.

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:24 am

I have a few more outgoing crabs that I bring out to show people, but even then they aren't out more than a couple minutes. I handle them for quick pictures and/or to measure them, and to move them if they're in my way during a tank rearrange. I've never really seen the point of handling them extensively since they aren't cuddly and kissable. :lol: Even my more laid back crabs always run off and hide after they're back in the tank, so I interpret that as being annoyed at me.

I don't have anything against crabbers who handle more extensively but I'd never recommend it if the crab hasn't had one normal molt in captivity.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.