Adopted Hermie... Not looking right

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Hermit Guy

Re: Adopted Hermie... Not looking right

Post by Hermit Guy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:29 pm

Do you have a picture of him now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brthome85

Post by Brthome85 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:47 pm

wodesorel wrote:He's got black toenails and a lot of hair, so he molted not too long ago.

The white stuff could just be mineral deposits from hard water. That's really not anything to worry about. Their exo can get stained, and it'll be gone the next molt.

Sitting out in the open IS weird, and he may be suffering from PPS and is showing the early signs of shutting down. All you can do is try and do what you can. I'd recommend a pile of moss on the substrate (and I hate doing it because it tends to grow mold) so that he has a nice comfy place to retreat to that isn't enclosed.

Are you offering pellet food? Ditch it and go straight with goodies like peanut butter, honey, shrimp, bee pollen, etc. They do not needs switched slowly like a dog or cat. Getting the proper food him into him ASAP is going to help. :)

I personally don't like it when their eyes stick together like that. It's a sign of weakness, which can indicate PPS, an impending surface molt, or dying. :?
What is pps?

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

AutumnHermie

Post by AutumnHermie » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:53 pm

No need for me to say anything.... This article basically goes into *intense* detail :D

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=92531
Owner of 12 PP's , 4 Blue's, and 2 straw's.

Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:24 pm

Thank-you for saving this precious baby! I worry when a child can be that heartless and cruel. I raised three kids and they ALL love and respect their pets. This is just heart breaking :(

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Hermit Guy wrote:Do you have a picture of him now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll try to get one. I dont touch him at all, so depending on his position, I may or may not be able to get a good one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:05 pm

Persia352 wrote:Thank-you for saving this precious baby! I worry when a child can be that heartless and cruel. I raised three kids and they ALL love and respect their pets. This is just heart breaking :(
He was around 14/15 years of age... He apparently has a whole fish setup going on. Hopefully he'll learn as he gets older. Either take care of them or dont bring them home at all.

I have a 3 yr old. He doesn't have to love animals as much as I do, but he will understand they are living things just like us, and deserve to be treated as such.

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:16 pm

There's Cletus, with a special appearance from Pip.
That's where he always is. And that is the furthest he ever pulls into his shell.

jclee

Post by jclee » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:13 pm

He can't be stuck in there, can he? I am sorry to ask such a morbid question, but he does look quite large for that shell. I've had many crabs who preferred shells that were too small for them (to my eye), but that seems like quite an awkward fit.
You can see my critters here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:24 pm

jclee wrote:He can't be stuck in there, can he? I am sorry to ask such a morbid question, but he does look quite large for that shell. I've had many crabs who preferred shells that were too small for them (to my eye), but that seems like quite an awkward fit.
Stuck in the shell?! I didn't even think that was possible. Image The kid I got him from said he wouldn't change for him either, and that's the shell he bought him in.
How do I figure something like that out?

I agree, he can't be comfortable in there. No protection whatsoever. I've bought several shells, and nothing. He doesn't even go near them. I've put them right in front of him and he ignores them.

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:28 pm

I just read through all your thread posts and replies. I hope Cletus is doing ok. My Harry is also in a painted shell that may be too small but won't change. I worry about the little guys. Keep us updated though. Hopefully now that he is in a proper and stable environment he will start coming around. Sounds like he may have been in a bad way for awhile. Hopefully he's just resting and recovering. Hopefully he will be climbing the walls soon. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:42 pm

courtbri wrote:I just read through all your thread posts and replies. I hope Cletus is doing ok. My Harry is also in a painted shell that may be too small but won't change. I worry about the little guys. Keep us updated though. Hopefully now that he is in a proper and stable environment he will start coming around. Sounds like he may have been in a bad way for awhile. Hopefully he's just resting and recovering. Hopefully he will be climbing the walls soon. [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Crabbing for 4 years-still obsessed! 5 total crustacean kids. Gave up trying to tell them apart but I love them all.
I try to trust that they know how to take care of themselves, but sometimes I can't help but worry. How is Harry otherwise? My first adoptee didn't change shells for couple weeks, but he was shopping. Cletus doesn't even care.
Omg. I remember reading somewhere about the paint still being wet, and the crabs can get stuck in the paint... I wonder if that's what the previous commenter meant...

If he's tried to get out of his shell before and couldn't, it would make sense that he would eventually stop trying.

courtbri

Post by courtbri » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:48 pm

In your one post you had mentioned that you picked him up and thought he might fall out of his shell. Could that indicate that he isn't stuck but just content maybe? I just created a post with a picture of Harry in a painted shell I thought was too small. He just won't change either. I have a reply that E's can be stubborn. Harry just came up from a long back to back molt and is eating cuttle bone and seems to be doing ok other than not changing shells. I want to order more but can't pin point the type of shell as so many look the same or the correct next size up. Ugh.

My clan consists of-4 PP's: Paul, Juan, Salt & Pepper. 3 E's: Harry Houdini, Sarge and RIP Gary-lost during a molt. A Yorkie-Joey, Orange Tabby-Milo
2 teenage daughters and a husband.

Topic author
missAlfalfa

Post by missAlfalfa » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:20 pm

courtbri wrote:In your one post you had mentioned that you picked him up and thought he might fall out of his shell. Could that indicate that he isn't stuck but just content maybe? I just created a post with a picture of Harry in a painted shell I thought was too small. He just won't change either. I have a reply that E's can be stubborn. Harry just came up from a long back to back molt and is eating cuttle bone and seems to be doing ok other than not changing shells. I want to order more but can't pin point the type of shell as so many look the same or the correct next size up. Ugh.

Seriously, what I did was just buy a bunch of different shells in different sizes. I couldn't measure him because he covered the opening... So I guessed. I bought 4 or 5 from Petco, a couple from Michaels... The other crabs liked them, but not Cletus.
I looked on Amazon from the seller Mygann ... I ordered a couple different shells ranging in size.
He finally changed!! So he apparently wasn't stuck, lol. I hope yours follows suit. Image Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:01 pm

missAlfalfa wrote: Seriously, what I did was just buy a bunch of different shells in different sizes. I couldn't measure him because he covered the opening... So I guessed. I bought 4 or 5 from Petco, a couple from Michaels... The other crabs liked them, but not Cletus.
I looked on Amazon from the seller Mygann ... I ordered a couple different shells ranging in size.
He finally changed!! So he apparently wasn't stuck, lol. I hope yours follows suit. Image Image

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think we all are looking for a pic of him in the new shell :)
So glad he finally made the move!! I have one in a painted shell, he has molted in it and been up for about a month and won't change. He has like 25 shells to choose from, but prefers to look like a football. :roll:
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

kornchaser

Post by kornchaser » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:59 pm

marandashermies wrote: I think we all are looking for a pic of him in the new shell :)
So glad he finally made the move!! I have one in a painted shell, he has molted in it and been up for about a month and won't change. He has like 25 shells to choose from, but prefers to look like a football. :roll:
missAlfalfa wrote: I got new shells in from Amazon today. Boiled them and threw them into the tank. I had to physically put Cletus near the new shells, twice... But, Alas! I gave up, and it seems, so did he. Finally.
Cletus in the latest winter fashon...Image Image Image Image
Voila

Twelve PP hermit babies Image
-