Crabs in college

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

KyMart

Re: Crabs in college

Post by KyMart » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:31 pm

myllkti wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:00 pm
but yeah it's been a few months now and they're good! Haven't been able to get a good look at their carpal setae yet but whatever i guess lol
I have a few years until collage, my crabs make me more nervous about having to maybe live in a dorm my first year! 😂
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

Topic author
myllkti

Post by myllkti » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:44 am

KyMart wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:31 pm
I have a few years until collage, my crabs make me more nervous about having to maybe live in a dorm my first year! 😂
At least you have some time to make arrangements! Maybe a family member or friend can do a midweek check for you too? We have some time haha
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Started selling hermit food 👀 - https://myheartmadestudio.etsy.com/

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:45 am

myllkti wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:44 am
At least you have some time to make arrangements! Maybe a family member or friend can do a midweek check for you too? We have some time haha
I will have to live in the forms for max a year, and I could put them in a temp tote tank under my bed if necessary. I could also find a collage that would let me take them in the dorm as long as I cleaned up after them and asked beforehand!
~
~
KyMart

Topic author
myllkti

Post by myllkti » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:54 am

Honestly find the best college for your life plans and then make it work around that, and if you're stuck between a few your hermits can be a tie breaker, but don't let you crabs take college choices from you. Yeah I think the tote thing would work! I highly doubt many if any college would give you permission to bring your crabs even if you asked in advance. Your best bet is going to be keeping it under your bed (make sure you choose a roomie whod be cool with it) and/or getting them registered as ESAs
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:08 pm

myllkti wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:54 am
Honestly find the best college for your life plans and then make it work around that, and if you're stuck between a few your hermits can be a tie breaker, but don't let you crabs take college choices from you. Yeah I think the tote thing would work! I highly doubt many if any college would give you permission to bring your crabs even if you asked in advance. Your best bet is going to be keeping it under your bed (make sure you choose a roomie whod be cool with it) and/or getting them registered as ESAs
Honestly, I so could get them registered as ESAs! They really are my ESAs! I got them after I got back from the hospital when I was struggling very bad with many mental health issues. I went to work one day, and we sell hermit crabs. I saw my bigger crab, Frog and fell in love with him, and then I saw my smaller crab, Bug and fell in love with her! I got a temporary wire cage and brought them home that day! That was a little over a month ago, they currently are in a 10 gallon together, and I bought a 40 gallon breeder yesterday that they will in most likely within the next few weeks! I love them so much, they make me really happy, and are one the reasons I get out of bed everyday!
~
~
KyMart

Topic author
myllkti

Post by myllkti » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:09 am

Ooh that's really great! I mean, I'm obviously very sorry for your struggles, but in terms of the crabs in college issue! I'm glad you're feeling better now, hermits are just such amazing little creature. Best of luck if/when you pursue ESA registration!!
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:47 am

myllkti wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:09 am
Ooh that's really great! I mean, I'm obviously very sorry for your struggles, but in terms of the crabs in college issue! I'm glad you're feeling better now, hermits are just such amazing little creature. Best of luck if/when you pursue ESA registration!!
As I have mentioned before I am a very involved Ag student at my school, and I plan to one way potential show my crabs (in a safe, controlled environment) I would definitely put them in a 10 gallon tank (minimum)
with sub and hides, and only take them out a little, or not at all and just show them in their habitat (I would show them outside in the summer so humidity is no problem, the water dishes while moving them will have to be emptied and I will have to bring their water in water bottles to refill their bowls) I would also consider just showing off a makeshift habitat with none of my carbs in it, vs. a wire cage with "crabs" (painted shells) in it, to show the difference in the care. This would be a good model to show the proper crab care vs. the improper crab, in a way that would not risk my crabs. If I did bring them I would put them in a small tote for travel and then put them in the tank when we arrived, that way they where safe incase the tank slide/broke/etc. I would definitely prefer to have at least one of them in the show tank showing proper care, but if they were molting I couldn't do anything about that! I love these creatures, and I strive to educate people on proper care for them. The goal of this would be to cause people to either not get crabs if they can't care for them (making this decision based on new knowledge I would show them), or get them and provide them proper care.
~
~
KyMart