Longevity, part 2 (long lifespans anecdotes...)

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

NaRnAR
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by NaRnAR » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:06 am

I have a large pp that Ive had for 6 years as of Jan 13, 10...and a handful of other pps that Ive had for a little over 6 years as well. :)

Ive had my straw Mandarin for 3 years now....not too long, but I think its the longest Ive had a straw for and to have them no loose color and still be the little tank demons they came as! :D

A while ago I went to the "dont touch" method of crabbing and it seems to have helped them to live longer. When I was taking them out once a week I was losing more crabs than I am now....now its a pretty rare occasion when one dies. *knock on wood and thank the crab gods*
NasTang crabby since 9/02
HappyHermit Foods! at...TheHermitCrabPatch

kgbenson

Post by kgbenson » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:55 am

Symbol wrote: Poor guy! That little shell must've pinched so much! I guess he couldn't find one big enough. :(
I doubt it pinched, but it didn't offer the protection he wanted so he shucked it. Some of the larger brevimanus seem to "lea[p" from shells more than one would think would be wise. Retaining the behavior over millions of years of evolution would suggest though that there is some benefit to it at least enough of the time to not exclude those that do it from being removed from the population at a rate that eliminates the behavior.

Keith

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:13 pm

NaRnAR wrote:I have a large pp that Ive had for 6 years as of Jan 13, 10...and a handful of other pps that Ive had for a little over 6 years as well. :)

Ive had my straw Mandarin for 3 years now....not too long, but I think its the longest Ive had a straw for and to have them no loose color and still be the little tank demons they came as! :D

A while ago I went to the "dont touch" method of crabbing and it seems to have helped them to live longer. When I was taking them out once a week I was losing more crabs than I am now....now its a pretty rare occasion when one dies. *knock on wood and thank the crab gods*
Sounds cool! 8)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:49 am

I have a pp and 2 es that I've had for 10 years. The pp (Crawdaunt) actually belongs to my daughter but he stayed with me when she married and moved out of state.

As for care, I've always kept them on playsand though I'm going to try some ee when my molters come up. (When I last frequented the lists sand alone was the slandered.) I feed a verity of fresh fruits & vegies, homegrown hibiscus topped with kibbles & treats from Narnar and Crabotanicals. I've never handled them any more than necessary and dont really fret over them. I provide what they need to the best of my knowledge and they take pretty good care of themselves. This has worked well for me as I've never had any molting/loss issues. Other than one incident of my es cannibalizing my favorite viola. :(

The first pic is old but shows off Crawdaunt's amazing color

I've been trying to pry him from this small shell for years but he's not giving it up! ^.^

Tank - largest e

Dozer

Topic author
MudCrabDude

Post by MudCrabDude » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:53 am

Shalynn wrote:I have a pp and 2 es that I've had for 10 years. The pp (Crawdaunt) actually belongs to my daughter but he stayed with me when she married and moved out of state.

As for care, I've always kept them on playsand though I'm going to try some ee when my molters come up. (When I last frequented the lists sand alone was the slandered.) I feed a verity of fresh fruits & vegies, homegrown hibiscus topped with kibbles & treats from Narnar and Crabotanicals. I've never handled them any more than necessary and dont really fret over them. I provide what they need to the best of my knowledge and they take pretty good care of themselves. This has worked well for me as I've never had any molting/loss issues. Other than one incident of my es cannibalizing my favorite viola. :(

The first pic is old but shows off Crawdaunt's amazing color

I've been trying to pry him from this small shell for years but he's not giving it up! ^.^

Tank - largest e

Dozer
Wow, nice group you have there! 8) Sorry to hear about the cannibalism, but nice job all around. :)