Eco Earth V's Sand

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Rosepetalbed

Post by Rosepetalbed » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am

Okay so you use how much sand? how much EE? I asked hubby how much 1/4 and 1/4 is? :hlol: I don't want to mess this up but when it involves number's its pretty much a guarantee!!!!
125 Gallon tank with 54 crabs ...E's PP'S,Violas,Rugs, And Indo's

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:44 am

It will depend on your tank size, but you want about 15% or so coconut fibre. I still have 40-60% coconut fibre depending on where you are in the tank but I have been adding more sand and removing coconut fibre little by little because I have a lot of molters down. When I do my deep clean in June I will be going to the 5:1 sand to coir mix, especially after my visit to ELHC with Sue and what I saw there. I want my crabs as happy and healthy as Bob's!

suebee

Post by suebee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:28 am

to make it simple if you use one cup of co co nut fiber add to it 5 cups of sand. :) 2 cups of co co nut fiber 10 cups of sand.
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

hlhiggs87

Post by hlhiggs87 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:32 pm

I had always used straight playsand. But about 3 weeks ago I had to do a deep clean and I added EE (5:1). My crabs LOVED it, they were digging tunnels and climbing all over. I'm really glad I changed.
Oh, and I haven't had any issues with bugs or anything so far.
3 Cats- Teddy, Pippa, and baby Maggie
4 Parakeets - Baby, Kate, Jayden, and Jordan
11 PPs- Carly, Mr.Pinch, Henrietta, Lucky, April, Arwen, Hermione, Brian, Nemo, Dasher, and Noel

suebee

Post by suebee » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:27 pm

very glad you did. Ive received many emails of people that have switched form to much EE coconut fiber and found dead decomposed crabs during the switch. Its sad. Im gad more crabs are being saved..
I buy from ELHC or HCP, I CANNOT RECEIVE PM MESSAGES SO EMAIL ME,anytime! suebeebuzz@me.com visit my Hermit Crab Dollar Store. Crabbing from aprox 1974- I own 12 Species,On Face Book-Susan Staff's Coenobita Research of New Jersey

philingroovie

Post by philingroovie » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:13 pm

So is eco earth good or bad. i was thinking about mixing it with play sand my next deep clean.

suebee

Post by suebee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:35 pm

Its good, at the right amount. It helps break down or decompose waste and also helps hold moisture.. My suggestion is to do as close to 5 parts sand to one part EE as you can. If your going to do a deep clean you might want to consider adding some powdered or very crushed oyster shell to the substrate too! Happy crabbing, Suebee

Dog Lips

Post by Dog Lips » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:37 pm

Eco Is great for high humidity crabs methinks. I use half and half for the PP's and they're doing fine.
^^^^^^^^^^^^|II ___
| ______________ l '|""";..,l ____
|_…_…______===|= _|__|…, ] |=
"(@ )'(@ )""""*|(@ )(@ )*****(@)

suebee

Post by suebee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:43 pm

I would not suggest more then the 5:1, you will find with more EE that your shells become dull, (the EE eats at the outer shell) and it will also eat at the exo of your crabs. Actually very soon new packaging will we out with EE saying that it is not to be used alone for hermit crabs and that a good mixture is 5 parts sand to one part EE. If you read through the rest of this thread you may change your mind. I also can tell you of many people that after reading this thread changed to the 5:1 ratio and during this they found dead decomposing crabs that they thought were molting just a bit to long and never came up. This is something i feel very strong about after talking to both the owners of ELHC and The hemit crab patch.
I hope you will reconsider. Blessings, and happy crabbing! Suebee

cass2399

Post by cass2399 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:04 pm

I am one of those people. I just did a deep clean and switched from 100% EE to a 5:1 mixture. I thought my beautiful Straw was molting (he had been down for 3 months) but I took the the chance and pulled out the EE. I found his shell, empty, extremely dull and discolored. I then started finding pieces of him. I am convinced that it is because of the EE. When I had 100% sand, he was healthy and active, digging all the time. I will never go back to using 100% EE.

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:15 pm

I use 100% coco fiber and my crab's shells aren't dull or eaten through. Also, my crabs have no trouble molting in coco fiber. My straw just came up from a wonderful molt and his color has even darkened.

suebee

Post by suebee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Sugar, im happy that you are happy with EE. I didnt say it would eat through the shells but it does eat at the out side and dulls them. Im happy for you if you have not found that or had any deaths with your crabs. Unfortunately Im finding many people that are having problems. You might want to Give the company that makes it a call and see what they have to say.
I would say that this is just my opinion however I honestly have found that many are having the same problem. I lost E's to molts when i switched to 50% ee and found them decomposed in the shell. Im very happy that your straw is ok. I hope all your crabs will be. I also hope more people will post their findings and everyone will consider all sides of using different substrates.

sugarselections

Post by sugarselections » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:43 pm

I'll call T-Rex tomorrow and ask whether they recommend their coco fiber substrate for hermit crabs.

I have 11 Ecuadorians who are eating and molting machines. They're so hardy and amazing. I've only lost 1 Ecuadorian in the past two years and that was due to him being in very bad health when I got him from the pet store. My Ecuadorians are doing amazingly well on 100% coco fiber.
Last edited by sugarselections on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cass2399

Post by cass2399 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:44 pm

Sugar, I am glad that you have not had any problems. I have only lost one and that's too many for me. I personally will never go back to using 100% EE because I am just not willing to chance it.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:29 pm

I also let my crabs have the choice of molting in straight EE if they would like to. The ones who have never had dull shells or any problems molting and I've never had any deaths. Some crabs have even gone back to it for their second (and third) molts.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram