My poor little E "Bug"- UPDATE- She Molted!- Update-bad news

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

tnt4eva

Re: My poor little E "Bug"

Post by tnt4eva » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:30 am

Ohhhhh poor little thing. This is one of those moments when I wish that we could hug our hermit crabs and that they'd know what it meant. That little crabby needs a hug.

Banana mashes up really well, as does mango. You might be able to try some ground/minced meat too. And if you can get your hands on a young coconut (Thai takeaway places sometimes sell them as drinking coconuts), they contain very soft and pulpy coconut meat.

A good additive free or organic peanut butter might be good too.

Fingers and toes crossed for Bug.

RedbirdFL

Post by RedbirdFL » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:07 am

Awww, poor baby! I'm glad she has you to take such good care of her. Good luck!
3 E's - Blaise, Tobias, Parker
7 PP's - Casey, Fred, George, Luna, Neville, Dobby, Winky
2 cats - Smokey (British shorthair), Zoe (tortoiseshell calico)
1 great husband, 1 great son/DIL, 1 great daughter

Help a college girl and visit my daughter's etsy shop: http://www.rronk.etsy.com

Topic author
CrabbyIrene

Re: My poor little E "Bug". -UPDATE-

Post by CrabbyIrene » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Well, it's been over a month now and Bug is doing well. She now has little gel limbs that seem to be getting bigger every day. Her eating is slowing down a bit and I'm taking that as a sign that she will molt soon. She has been quite a trooper through all this, and has been quite expressive when I was doing something she didn't want, like when I would pick her up to go in the water dish and she didn't want that she would chirp at me, when I would feed her stuff from my finger and she wanted more she would come real far out of her shell and wrap her one leg she has around my finger and pull me toward her. There were times I would just hold her in my hand and she would come far out of her shell and use her little mouth parts to clean/groom my skin or nails, weird but really sweet, never once did that with my husband or daughter when they held her, only with mama. She also never hid in her shell when I picked her up always pops right out to say hi! I really hope she gets through this upcoming molt.
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

CrabbyMom33

Post by CrabbyMom33 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Wow, look at all those gel buds! I hope she makes it through the molt for you. You certainly have given her the best chance with your care. So, do you think she can dig at all with the one leg? If she tries, would you then put her in a shallow dip in the substrate and cover her with something like a coconut hut?
Owner of 4 PPs

Topic author
CrabbyIrene

My poor little E "Bug"

Post by CrabbyIrene » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:51 pm

I really don't think she can dig, she can barely move without tipping over, which at times she gets mad about because she chirps! She's got a bunch of moss all around her and a cocohut over her and alot of the moss. I made a little hole in the sand in the middle of the surrounding moss so I think that's as buried as she is gonna get unfortunately. The only leg she has is a little messed up too, I wish I had a better pic of it. The leg kind of has a bend to it, like it got twisted or something, it's hard to tell but mostly the damage is toward the top, closer to her body. I was quite surprised she didn't drop the leg when she was attacked but I guess she knew it was all she had??
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:55 pm

:clap:

Yay!!!!! :cheer:

She should molt within the week, maybe two. I covered Sunshine over and left her in the dark when her gel buds were about that large and she was refusing food. I checked on her a week later and the gel buds had become perfectly formed miniature jelly limbs. (It was scary looking, really.) And a week after that she had already molted!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Careyenz

My poor little E "Bug"

Post by Careyenz » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:31 pm

We are rooting for Bug! What a trooper! She is so lucky to have a "Mom" like you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Careyenz, mom to Collin-7, Lily-4, 4 Straws, 5 Blues, 2 Violas, 2 E's, 2 PP's, and 3 cats.

HermitcrabsRcool

Post by HermitcrabsRcool » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:50 pm

Go Bug! I hope she makes it :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Rocky

Post by Rocky » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:10 pm

Yay Bug! With her mommy's special care, I'm sure she'll molt just fine :) Like wodesorel said, it sounds like really soon, to!
I personally believe that they have a pretty clear idea about what's going on with their bodies when they get attacked like that, I think that she knows that without that leg, she'll need you to keep her upright :lol:
We're all rooting for her! :cheer: Thanks for the update pictures, she's still just as cute :)
We're not asked to do great things, we're asked to do all things with great care.
Rocky's Reptile Rescue: https://www.facebook.com/RockysReptileRescue
Stop the demand. End the trade.

SoulLonely

Post by SoulLonely » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:13 am

So exciting! Good luck on the upcoming molt :) You've been doing a great job! and it's cute that the crabbie comes out for you!
PP- Currie (boy), Turnip (boy), Maddie (boy), Pineapple (girl), Scaredy (boy), Tremble (girl), Bitty Bite (girl), Frisky (unknown), Chloe (male), Big&Beautiful (female), unnamed (male), 3 unnamed (unknown)
E-Donkey (male), Sprinte (unknown)

Dragoneyez32

Post by Dragoneyez32 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:59 am

Amazing what these animals can pull through! This is a bond she's gonna have with Mama forever :)
3 PPs (Gigantor, Copycat and Spazz), 1 E (Spidey), 1 Golden Retriever (Kira), 2 Lionhead rabbits (Fuzz and Snow), 4 human babies, (5 if you count the fiance), and a partridge in a pear tree!

wolfnipplechips

Post by wolfnipplechips » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:52 am

Glad to see an update. :) Hope she makes it!! Great job on caring for her. That's really special.
Crabby since May 2009
Hermit Crab Food Store: http://alaskahermit.com/
Pets: crabs, cats, lizards, flesh eating beetles, isopods, betta fish

RedbirdFL

Post by RedbirdFL » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Awww, sweet little girly! Love the adorable photo.

Go, Bug!! And congrats to Mama!

:party:
3 E's - Blaise, Tobias, Parker
7 PP's - Casey, Fred, George, Luna, Neville, Dobby, Winky
2 cats - Smokey (British shorthair), Zoe (tortoiseshell calico)
1 great husband, 1 great son/DIL, 1 great daughter

Help a college girl and visit my daughter's etsy shop: http://www.rronk.etsy.com

Topic author
CrabbyIrene

Post by CrabbyIrene » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:59 pm

Thanks everyone! She pushed food away tonight, so I think I will cover her and leave her be, I think it's almost molting time. Her little gel buds have grown even more in the last few days. These little creatures are amazing! I hope she gets through the molt and grows back her pretty little crabby legs( see my avatar, yep it's the same crab)
7 PP's, 5 crazy E's!
Crabby since 2007

Dragoneyez32

Post by Dragoneyez32 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:24 am

If she has made it this far, I wouldn't expect to lose her on the molt! She's obviously a little fighter
3 PPs (Gigantor, Copycat and Spazz), 1 E (Spidey), 1 Golden Retriever (Kira), 2 Lionhead rabbits (Fuzz and Snow), 4 human babies, (5 if you count the fiance), and a partridge in a pear tree!