I must be doing something right! :)

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Rose7314

Re: I must be doing something right! :)

Post by Rose7314 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:35 pm

Nia, I now know what you mean by having a crab that likes to be held. I got a new crab yesterday and he already loves me and didn't need any time to get comfortable in his new home. I was holding him and he came out of his shell and crawled up to my arm and just sat snuggled against it for a few minutes. He will just sit there in your hand and let you hold him instead of trying to scramble away. He may be my new favorite :)
Some days I just have a little weirdness running through my blood :)

Nia

Post by Nia » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:54 pm

^.^ They are fun lol. If I am laying down Herc runs up to my shoulder and sits to watch TV lol or another fav spot of his is right over my heart he just sits there and stares at me sometimes lol. He is so funny sometimes how he perches and enjoys a good snuggle. He has started taking the shrimp out of my fingers before dragging it to the bowl and eating it before the others wake up lol. He always gets that extra shrimp that way lol but it settles him down so the others can eat in peace. Lol they are usually trying to eat and he is running them over. Also happy to say they all love their new salt pool :cheer: .
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Herc sounds so awesome and sweet :) I got a bigger salt pool as well and all of the crabs enjoy sitting by it or in it. I hope that some day I can get at least one of my crabs to eat out of my hand. I tried getting Rocky to come out when he was on my chest but he must have been having an extra crabby day because he didn't want to come out until I put him back into the tank. Oh well, another day :)

Nia

Post by Nia » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:48 pm

For most crabs it is a trust thing. Lol I guess I was lucky and got odd balls in the friendly department :P. Mine seem to appreciate how much I am upgrading their living area too lol. Every time I put in something new they come out to check it out :). I haven't ordered one of these yet but as soo as I can I am going to cause mine love to be hand fed. http://www.hermitcrabpatch.com/Hermit-C ... c007.htmit is worth it if you really want to build that trust up. For Ms. Hearts who is more shy Honey seemed to bring her right out and she ate it up happily off of my finger :cheer:. It takes time be patient and careful, you never know when some crabs have a crabby day and go pinch happy lol. So glad mine don't seem to be pincher happy :p. Lil bit was the only one to ever pinch me and that was on the way home when he was new and I was trying to keep him warm (that was my fault there) :p.
Mom to: 2 Kids,4 PP's, Cats, 1 Dogs, and whatever else gets put on my doorstep. (Box on doorstep. Hubby says,"Did you order anything?" I say "no". He says, "go get it, I don't want to know." Even tho he always ends up loving it or at least accepting it lol.)

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Lol mine only got pinch happy when I brought them home and held them and they were stressed out. Hurby grabbed on to a chunk of my hand and I had to pry his claw off with a butter knife :( Then I learned the trick of stretching out your hand and I got lucky with Rocky (he has one huge claw) because when he tried to pinch me he couldn't get me :P That's cool that they come out to check out your new things. Rocky is the only one that is making use of the things in the tank right now. This morning he was dangling from the bridge upside down! I tried hand feeding Rocky and Hurby last night but they were not interested. At one point Rocky got up on his back legs and looked like he was going to try some applesauce off of my finger but he didn't. They are eating practically nothing and I could only find two of my crabs last night :( The other three are buried super deep down into the substrate and I'm afraid of digging up a molting crab so I try not to go digging for them. I'm a little worried though. They were doing good for awhile about eating and now they are not interested in food or anything for that matter. I keep the tank warm and humid and they always have water. Not really sure what else I can do for them. Even if I put out yummy food they still ignore it. I'll just have to be more patient I suppose and keep working with them. I'm still looking forward to the day they take food from me :) You''re crabs are so cool!

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:15 pm

All of my crabs buried deep down into their substrate and Hurby decided to play peekaboo this morning. He burrowed down all the way to the bottom of the tank and then dug a tunnel all the way to one side of the tank and scraped the dirt off of the side so we could see him through the glass. It was pretty cool lol

Nia

Post by Nia » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:48 pm

That's cute :) They are probably all molting or just tunneling. They rag food down with them so they don't always need to come up. Reese Stuffed himself into a molt after his Thanksgiving Feast and has not been seen since lol. Herc might be getting ready to molt himself since he is stocking up on Calcium an food. Filling their bowl everyday with a tablespoon of each of the different foods everyday...If they keep eating like this they are going to eat me out of house n home lol. Usually give them about a 6 food selection too lol. They are pigging out so I might have a mass molt coming on idk. Just ordered their xmas presents (more food and treats). Got them 2 types of Chillies and more variety of stuff and a new cuddle bone treat lol. They are going to flip. After the holidays I am going to order more of their vitamin powder and more earth worm castings man do they love those. Their colors are getting so bright as well. Herc is now bright pink from mid leg down. Last I saw Reese he was so bright a beautiful I so can't wait to see him after his molt. They are getting fat tho lol. Esp Herc his legs have gotten really thick now and he is snacking on shells so I think he is ready to molt. Keep an eye out for yours to surface cause ya never know how long they will take some are quick others are really long.
:crabbigsmile:

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:34 pm

That's really cool that you bought them Christmas presents! :) I bought two mini Christmas trees, a mini snowman, and mini caroling people to decorate outside of their tank and put caroling penguin window clings on the glass. Yeah maybe they are molting, I'm still not sure. The only one that seems to be eating that I can see is Rocky. He loves grapes and was shoveling it into his mouth with both pinchers until my boyfriend walked by and scared him and he took off running into the cave :( B.J. came up once for air, hung out in the cave, and then back down. All the others stay buried. I try so hard not to dig them up and just let them be. That's so awesome, I wish mine would turn pink like that :) They have really pretty red and purple on them, but in a lot of spots they are just kind of a dull tan or brown color. Is it possible they are not getting enough nutrition and are dull like that? I put a veggie, shrimp, and a fruit out for them but they don't like the shrimp for some reason. You're so good to your crabs :)

Nia

Post by Nia » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:29 pm

Im not sure that it is fully about nutrition as some crabs have a dull color. Bat girl is really Dark and dull color too. I am not sure if that has anything to do with the usual animals of males are pretty colorful and females aren't. If that is the case it might explain a few things :P. You can get them a vitamin powder to sprinkle their food with tho from HCA I get 2 to add to theirs to try and make sure they get all their vitamins to. I get the Boost Powder and the Astaxanthin powder that helps their color also. They seem to love it but then again I have heifers lol not much they dislike atm. I did my best to make sure they didn't get left out on Christmas, they are family. Now if I could just keep the cats from opening all the presents again essh lol. Kids always snooping to see what everyone is getting even the furry children do apparently lol.

Leeko

Post by Leeko » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:01 pm

It took around six months for my crabs to start being out and about during the day, instead of hiding until dark. Add another six months for, most of them anyway, to stop running in terror if I approach the tank. I can't wait until my new ones are that used to me...

Nia

Post by Nia » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:05 am

I guess I was lucky there mine didn't take long in Herc's case the second he saw me he was attached to me. If I have a chance tho I mean if I adopt or buy an animal and there are many to choose from, I let them pick me. Usually ends up being a closer relationship. Herc just seemed to attach fast and love everything lol.

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Lol yep typical kids! Yeah that could explain it, maybe it's just their gender. I'll have to try a powder but right now they stay buried and don't eat much still. Even Rocky stopped coming out :( It's funny cause mine don't run until my boyfriend comes around lol

Nia

Post by Nia » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:05 pm

lol that is funny but it is because they aren't used to him yet :P. They are funny lil guys/gals. Herc got busted in the act this morning lmao (idk what he was doing but he acted guilty). I turned their day light on and he retreated into his shell but he was stuck in such a way that the base of the shell was in the sub and the opening was in the air lol. He just sat there in the shell looking guilty lol and his eyes shot around like uh oh now what do I do lol. Bat girl quickly got up n ran away so who knows what those two were up to :P. Reese resurfaced the morning of my son's B-day so we were happy about that lol was a nice b-day surprise to. He was very happy to see him. He was scouting the cage telling me to go look for him cause he was worried lol I told him he'll come out when ready to just give him time. Now he is just gulping down the food bowl everyday like crazy. Also visiting the cuttle shell about 4 times every day. He looks great tho. He is even brighter than before, he looks smaller but a lot brighter.

Topic author
Rose7314

Post by Rose7314 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:47 am

That's too funny :) Yeah and they can probably sense that he is not a big animal person lol That's true, they do have guilty looks when you look at them and they retreat lol I get worried about mine too and have to scout around for them every now and then. I like digging up Rocky because then he will chill in their salt water bowl and hang around the edge of it and on their bridge. I would be super happy if that was my b-day surprise too! :P

Nia

Post by Nia » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:27 pm

How did your crabs make out on the holiday? I made a crabmas post :P Ours made out like bandits and even woke up to a special surprise ^.^. I Put in a second level while they slept lol. Reese is still doing great and he seems to have an enormous amount of energy now lol an is just every where lol. New food is a huge hit to. I got them a small new variety of things to try as well as 2 new calcium treats. Food bowl is still being emptied at the speed of light lol. Man do they love those "Chillies treats" lmao they are the first thing to go. :crabbigsmile: