Possible attack between new crab

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
shanedaman112

Possible attack between new crab

Post by shanedaman112 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:46 pm

Hi, yesterday I introduced a new crab into the main tank after having him in an ISO for one night, he changed into a new shell within 3 minutes I offered them (he was in a painted shell) though I guess that's irrelevant. anyway when I put him in the new tank him and Lulu (about the same size) approached each other, met, and then took a weird stance. Both of them had their legs nearest to me up in the air (and probably the other one to so really their outer most legs were up) and started jumping at one another, I thought it might be a shell fight but they didn't actually pinch at each other or get atop each other, they stayed their distance. anyway later that night and today Lulu has been digging through the sand a lot, and though it may just be because I got a new mix of sub and she's liking it, I don't think that's the case. Lulu has seemed kinda stressed and has kept her distance from biscuit (the new crab) as has biscuit stayed from her. But biscuit has stayed right up next to the other two in the tank. the shell biscuit and Lulu have on have practically identical counterparts in there, Lulu even switched between the two at least 4 times. the only difference in the two is one has a small scratch. I'm confused as to what they were doing and if it was really an attack. Does anyone know? thanks a lot!
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

hermieluv1

Re: Possible attack between new crab

Post by hermieluv1 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:36 am

I don't know for sure but I saw mine do that also. I took it as a show of aggression, just like any animal will try to make itself look bigger and meaner. In essence, saying Hey, this is my space and I am the boss so don't mess with me! The 2 of mine that have done it before are now best buds. Maybe it is how they determine who is the alpha.

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:47 am

Yep, a display of dominance. Sounds like everything was worked out. It could be a coincidence the one crab is digging or it could be stress. In either case, doesn't sound like anything to worry about at this point. Keep an eye on things and let them do their thing. :)

Topic author
shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:05 pm

Well I don't know if it has to do with it but since then Lulu has been sitting with her inner legs visible, kinda like a crab just before it switches shells. here's a pic, though it isn't the best quality sorry (It took me literally 20 pics before I got it right)
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:17 pm

I think you mentioned she switch shells recently? Sometimes I see crabs sit like that and they appear to be adjusting their shell in some way or cleaning it out. At times I've even noticed them kind of twist in a new shell in weird ways. Is she acting normal otherwise?

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:35 pm

Yeah, my crabs sit like that when they are cleaning or dumping poop, lol. If she just changed shells, I would agree that she is most likely cleaning it out.
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Well I discovered for myself they twist and sit out of their shell after they change it and that's not what this is (I don't think). those shell changes occurred two days ago and she is in her old shell now so I'm not sure :/

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:29 pm

Well there is what appears to be a pile of poo just in front of her in the pic so I'm still going with shell cleaning. ;) :lol:

(Laughing about the poo which I only just noticed. I know how it is to worry over every little thing with our beloved crabbies. :) )

jarteta97

Post by jarteta97 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Haha, didn't notice that either, nice catch Calla. Several times I've seen my crabs dumping poop like that. It's almost like they're taking out the trash :lol: I agree with Calla, too, that we all overstress about our crabs. I actually used to have nightmares about them escaping or going naked, etc, but eventually I got used to it, and as long as they are in good conditions, there's not really much I can do :)
When you've been crabbing for so long, you don't even know how many crabs you have now...

Topic author
shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:40 pm

Please believe when I say, I've known of that pile of poo the whole time to be honest :lol: and I also have some pretty bad dreams about my crabs, right off hand I remember 3 where they went naked or something happened to them really bad d:

Cydonia1

Post by Cydonia1 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:23 pm

shanedaman112 wrote:Well I don't know if it has to do with it but since then Lulu has been sitting with her inner legs visible, kinda like a crab just before it switches shells. here's a pic, though it isn't the best quality sorry (It took me literally 20 pics before I got it right)
My crabs sit like that alot, most of the times sitting right outside the coconut hut and next to the foobowl while they eat something they're holding. Cute and normal!