New crab layout help

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Luckythecrab

New crab layout help

Post by Luckythecrab » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:32 pm

ImageSo this is my tank so far. My hermit crab has to walk over a lot of things to get to his water, food, hut, etc. How can I arrange the shells differently so that it'll be easier for him? Also, just realizing this, he doesn't have easy access to his food. How can I help him?

Crabinski

Re: New crab layout help

Post by Crabinski » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:01 pm

You can create a second level shell shop using a suction cup plastic soap dish. The crab will enjoy having another area to climb to as well as enjoying more "walking around" room -- just be sure to have a small branch or something similar he can use to reach the second level. You can also add some plastic vines for climbing, too (reptile section in pet stores or from the dollar store): attach them near the top of the tank with suction cups or, if you have a mesh lid, to the lid with small zip-ties. Another inexpensive way to "expand" the crabitat is by adding a piece of cocofiber mat to one wall (sold as a bagged roll in the hermit crab or reptile section). Crabs looooove to climb on it :D !
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
Luckythecrab

Post by Luckythecrab » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:36 pm

:D Thanks! And just a question....How do you create a second level?

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:54 pm

The easiest way is to use a plastic shower caddy or soap dish. The suction-cup variety are easy to mount/remove. These are inexpensive and can be found at Walmart in the Bath section.

This is the suction soap dish I used as a second level shell shop in a 10g:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Suc ... r/16879835

I used this mini shower caddy as a second level moss pit in the 10g:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Suction-Mini- ... r/33455308

This is the larger corner basket serving as the second level moss pit in the 29g:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Suc ... r/16778125
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale

Topic author
Luckythecrab

Post by Luckythecrab » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:00 pm

OK thanks! I was just thinking of placing a glass bowl in the corner with the shells in it. Would that be ok>

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:03 pm

Shower caddy shell shops are great! What I do with my shell shops is suction cup them on, and then since suction cups tend to like to randomly come unstuck I prop the shops up with a cork round, or a piece of cholla. Gives them something to climb up, also.

Another idea to give them more climbing room is another shower caddy as a moss pit. They can sleep in it, eat it, etc.

A glass bowl is fine to put the shells in, but just make sure they have an easy way in/out.
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:04 pm

Lovehermits wrote:OK thanks! I was just thinking of placing a glass bowl in the corner with the shells in it. Would that be ok>
That would be fine but, if you want to provide more walking around space for your crab, creating a second level for shells and/or a moss pit is the way to go. Since crabs love to climb, having that second level is stimulating for them, too.

Sydthesquid345

Post by Sydthesquid345 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:19 pm

I agree with what has been said as it is very cheap and expands the tank a lot but I would also suggest to put more substrate in the tank so your crabby friend has room to molt an will be happier friendlier crab! :)

Sydthesquid345

Post by Sydthesquid345 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:21 pm

Also you should give your hermit a friend!! The more the merrier

IMS08

Post by IMS08 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:30 pm

I agree with everyone but especially @Sydthesquid345's note about the substrate. You need at least 6 inches of a playsand and coconut fiber mix 5:1 Ratio. They need to dig down a while and molt to get bigger which you probably know. Love the decorations and the idea about the second level. Just make sure to get that substrate level higher!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Topic author
Luckythecrab

Post by Luckythecrab » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:30 pm

Oh i did have 2 other crabs, but they passed :( I might get a new one soon!

Sydthesquid345

Post by Sydthesquid345 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:31 pm

Aw I'm so sorry for your loss :(

Topic author
Luckythecrab

Post by Luckythecrab » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:41 pm

Oh its ok :)

Topic author
Luckythecrab

Post by Luckythecrab » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:51 pm

Image this is my final layout for my cage(For now). I might get a shower caddy and set up a shell shop. Tell me what you think of my new layout!

megmaholm

Post by megmaholm » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:08 pm

You definitely need more substrate to ensure normal, healthy molts. :) Personally, I would look for more ways to offer climbing spots, since they love to hang out in higher spots, and you don't want them bored! There are a lot of good suggestions so far, and your tank has plenty of usable space even after you get the substrate increased to 6".
Crabbing since July 2014! 75 gallon with 12 Purple Pinchers.