Glass tank lid

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Glass tank lid

Post by fantasybookworm » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:44 pm

Does anyone have a glass tank lid that includes a plastic strip that's supposed to slide onto the glass edge? I just got one for my 55g tank & was trying to set it up today. I can't get the strips to slide on though! Are there any secrets for getting the darn thing to slide or clip on without breaking my hands doing it? I need to have the lid functional tomorrow, so if I can't get them on, I'm probably going to just use packing tape to tape them together for now. I expect it won't work for a very long time though.

LucasBinx

Re: Glass tank lid

Post by LucasBinx » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:38 am

I had the same problem with my 29 gallon. Just about broke the lid and sliced my hand in the process... Lay the glass on the tank and then tape the plastic peice to the glass lid and tank. That's what I did and it worked fine. I'd post a picture, but I no longer have the 29 gallon set up as a crab tank.

I even tried greasing the peice to no avail. Didn't have this issue with my 40 gallon at all

me n my hermikids

Post by me n my hermikids » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:54 am

I have the same set up. Line the pieces up correctly then put one corner in place and keep squeezing from there till the whole thing is in. Or you could stick two pieces of something else thin but strong in the groove to make kind of a ducks bill, then the glass should go in easily and once its in you can pull out the extra pieces.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:18 am

I'll give it another try today while I finish setting up the new tank, but if I still can't get them snapped together, I'll just tape them, I guess. Today's going to be stressful enough without fighting the lid for half an hour! :roll: Thanks guys! :)

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:22 am

I did the same as LucasBinx for my 29g: used clear packing tape to attach the plastic strip to the glass and then taped the back of the strip to the tank lip...it's worked just fine since I installed it last January. Oh, before I did the tape-down, I cut out a small square from each back corner of the plastic strip to allow the insertion of air pump tubing and for a bit of air circulation.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

Topic author
fantasybookworm

Post by fantasybookworm » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:18 pm

I'll probably be lazy & just skip straight to the tape. :lol: And thanks for reminding me, I need to cut out a little section as well for air stone tubing! Still not sure yet if I want to mount their light inside or just set it on top of the glass. Leaning towards putting it on top though, so I can save space inside the tank for fun things. I need a bigger light now anyway!

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:16 pm

fantasybookworm wrote:I'll probably be lazy & just skip straight to the tape. :lol: And thanks for reminding me, I need to cut out a little section as well for air stone tubing! Still not sure yet if I want to mount their light inside or just set it on top of the glass. Leaning towards putting it on top though, so I can save space inside the tank for fun things. I need a bigger light now anyway!
I always try to opt for easier but effective :lol: ! The taping route was followed only after I had absolutely no success in getting the glass threaded into that plastic strip and I'm very glad it's not just me with my arthritic hands that couldn't get it together. For lighting, I just placed a strip light fixture on top of the back panel of glass, plugged it into a timer and Voila!: let there be light!!
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

littletechcrab

Post by littletechcrab » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:17 pm

Can try Vaseline to slowly slide it on it has worked for me in the past

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

KellyCrabbieLove

Post by KellyCrabbieLove » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:53 pm

I pried it open wider with a butter knife.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
#1 rule of crabbing - crabs are weird.
#2 rule of crabbing - see above