Crabby speech

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Ilovehermies74

Crabby speech

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:40 pm

I am going to do my 3:00 class speech on hermit crabs and how they are abused and i wanted to get some things from you guys that you think i should include. Thanks :crabbigsmile:
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

The Franckinator

Re: Crabby speech

Post by The Franckinator » Mon May 09, 2016 11:02 am

Still need advice?
He's crawling all over my wrist..and he's sayin', "Won't you hurry up and get the mist?
"Feels like a desert around.. my bowls and sand mounds..so Imma frown..
"SO WILL YOU GET THE MIST!?"
Me - "HECK YEAH!"
(To the tune of "Business" by Eminem)

Topic author
Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:44 pm

Yeah :) Id love some
owner of 10 happy hermies! tiny micro, arora small, problem small, romeo small, Juliet small, berry small, mars medium, katniss medium, lucky large, and the big head honcho hugo:) :) RIP shy Check out my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW91Ko ... s84MrO0zog

Topic author
Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:46 pm

Here is what i have so far (warning lots of workds :)

Hermit Crab Addiction
Something has invaded my life and taken over my room and all my free time. This small creature might seem innocent with its big eyes and beautiful colors, but now all my time is in its hands.
It all started back in last June when my friend Maria introduced to me her interest in hermit crabs. I was interested and slowly her mood rubbed off on me and my new mission was to get these animals as part of my life. I had tried to get all different kinds of animals as my pets, but my parents had excuses for all of them. For example, we didn’t have a big enough yard for a dog, my mom is super allergic to cats, and other reptiles eat live crickets that chirp all night. Believe me I tried everything. However, when I introduced hermit crabs, they couldn’t have any excuses for me not to get them. Seems simple enough, 10-gallon tank sand food and 2 hermit crabs. Oh were they wrong.
Once I got them 1 month later I got 2 more and then my friend who introduced me to them didn’t want hers anymore so I got them. Suddenly, there were too many hermit crabs for the size of my tank! I started tank hunting and found a 45-gallon tank. Of course getting a bigger tank means more crabs and a need for more heat sources (which cost money) soon an innocent hobby was a full-blown addiction.
I think one of the reasons I am so addicted to these tiny creatures is because of my YouTube channel. My friend started a channel about her guanine pig and so I followed her and started up a hermit crab channel. Now I spend a lot of my free time filming them and editing videos to post to YouTube. There is also a hermit crab that fanned the flame of my addiction because I found hundreds of people who were just as engrossed in their little pinchy friends as I was.
I also find it a fun way to be creative because they are tree climbers and need a new environment often or else they get bored. I make toys and climbers for them and get to rearrange their hermit crab habitat (or crabitat) as much as I want. Each of my hermit crabs also is complex and behaves in different ways depending on which one they are. Some hermit crabs will go hide when I come into the room, and others will run around like their shells caught on fire.
Even though I didn’t mean for them to consume my life, I wouldn’t like it any other way.

Topic author
Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Mon May 09, 2016 2:46 pm

Here is what i have so far (warning lots of words :)

Hermit Crab Addiction
Something has invaded my life and taken over my room and all my free time. This small creature might seem innocent with its big eyes and beautiful colors, but now all my time is in its hands.
It all started back in last June when my friend Maria introduced to me her interest in hermit crabs. I was interested and slowly her mood rubbed off on me and my new mission was to get these animals as part of my life. I had tried to get all different kinds of animals as my pets, but my parents had excuses for all of them. For example, we didn’t have a big enough yard for a dog, my mom is super allergic to cats, and other reptiles eat live crickets that chirp all night. Believe me I tried everything. However, when I introduced hermit crabs, they couldn’t have any excuses for me not to get them. Seems simple enough, 10-gallon tank sand food and 2 hermit crabs. Oh were they wrong.
Once I got them 1 month later I got 2 more and then my friend who introduced me to them didn’t want hers anymore so I got them. Suddenly, there were too many hermit crabs for the size of my tank! I started tank hunting and found a 45-gallon tank. Of course getting a bigger tank means more crabs and a need for more heat sources (which cost money) soon an innocent hobby was a full-blown addiction.
I think one of the reasons I am so addicted to these tiny creatures is because of my YouTube channel. My friend started a channel about her guanine pig and so I followed her and started up a hermit crab channel. Now I spend a lot of my free time filming them and editing videos to post to YouTube. There is also a hermit crab that fanned the flame of my addiction because I found hundreds of people who were just as engrossed in their little pinchy friends as I was.
I also find it a fun way to be creative because they are tree climbers and need a new environment often or else they get bored. I make toys and climbers for them and get to rearrange their hermit crab habitat (or crabitat) as much as I want. Each of my hermit crabs also is complex and behaves in different ways depending on which one they are. Some hermit crabs will go hide when I come into the room, and others will run around like their shells caught on fire.
Even though I didn’t mean for them to consume my life, I wouldn’t like it any other way.

The Franckinator

Post by The Franckinator » Tue May 10, 2016 6:36 am

When is your speech due?
He's crawling all over my wrist..and he's sayin', "Won't you hurry up and get the mist?
Me - "HECK YEAH!"

Topic author
Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:20 pm

Well im giving it on monday, so i would like to have it all writen by fryday

The Franckinator

Post by The Franckinator » Thu May 19, 2016 6:30 pm

I'm sorry, I haven't really been helping out much. I just wasn't sure if you still needed help. If it's on hermit crab abuse, then definitely include how pet store employees aren't trained properly on how to give advice to new crab owners and maintain their habitats. There isn't a huge variety of websites that actually offer info to help out people. Also, make sure to mention how inhumane their capture in the wild and transport to captivity is awful.
Me - "HECK YEAH!"

Topic author
Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Thu May 19, 2016 7:46 pm

Yeah i will ill tell you how it goes!

The Franckinator

Post by The Franckinator » Thu May 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Interesting story btw on how you started crabbing!
Me - "HECK YEAH!"

Topic author
Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Sun May 29, 2016 11:58 am

It went great! People loved the powerpoint with pictures and i got an a! Thanks for all your help :crabbigsmile:

The Franckinator

Post by The Franckinator » Sun May 29, 2016 12:52 pm

Awesome, good job!
Me - "HECK YEAH!"

Topic author
Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Mon May 30, 2016 5:04 pm

Thank you :crabbigsmile:

KayedeeLove<3

Post by KayedeeLove<3 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:40 pm

Would have loved to read the rest of that speech lol.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Ilovehermies74

Post by Ilovehermies74 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:17 pm

Here is the final:

Hermit Crab Addiction
I have always wanted a pet, but like a lot of people, my parents had excuses at the ready against all kinds of pets I would ask for. For example, we don’t have a big enough yard for a dog, my mom is allergic to cats, and reptiles eat live crickets, which chirp all night. But after 12 years of trying so hard to find a pet, I found hermit crabs. I had stumped my parents, and they could come up with no excuses.
It all started last June when my friend Maria introduced to me her interest in hermit crabs. I was intrigued. Hermit crabs seemed simple enough to my parents, 10-gallon tank, sand, food, and two hermit crabs. Oh, were they wrong.
One month after I got the first two hermit crabs, I got two more, and then Maria didn’t want hers anymore, so I got them. Suddenly, there were too many hermit crabs for the size of my tank! The 10 gallon tank was soon replaced with a 45 gallon tank. Of course, a bigger tank meant more crabs and a need for more heat sources. Soon an innocent hobby was a full-blown addiction.
The 18 hermit crabs I have all behave in different ways. Some hermit crabs will go hide when I come into the room, and others will run around like their shells caught on fire. I love how they each have a personality because it makes it very interesting to watch them. Hermit crabs are tree climbers and need a new environment often or else they get bored. I make toys and climbers for them and rearrange their hermit crab habitat (or crabitat) often. A few weeks ago I made a climbing net and carved a log into a cave for them to hide in.
Even when I am not right in front of my tank or interacting with my hermit crabs, I find a way to educate everyone else about them…whether or not they want to be educated. I could talk for hours about them and still have more to say! A hermit crab website fanned the flame of my addiction; there I found hundreds of people who were just as engrossed in their little pinchy friends as I was, and they didn’t get bored of me talking to them about hermit crabs like most of my family members do. I also started a YouTube channel so I could talk about them and not annoy anyone. Surprisingly, people actually watched my videos; I got to 27 subscribers and have views from countries like Sweden and Australia. Now I spend a lot of my free time filming and editing videos to post to YouTube.
Hermit crabs are amazing beautiful creatures that I feel I no longer could live without. Even though I didn’t mean for them to consume my life, I wouldn’t like it any other way.